The Student Room Group

Any KUMON students out here?

Hi there,

Any KUMON maths students out here?
If so, how many levels have you guys completed?

Cheers
:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Yumna89
Hi there,

Cheers

I got up to mid-J around Year 7, before I stopped. Any particular reason? (I've marked papers for my local centre, too.)
Would you recommend Kumon? I was set to have my sister sign up but I was told they only make you do worksheets and do not teach. Is that true?
Original post by L'Etudiant
Would you recommend Kumon? I was set to have my sister sign up but I was told they only make you do worksheets and do not teach. Is that true?

That's the rumour I've heard.
Reply 4

This is pretty much true. Worksheets tell you how to do a certain kind of question, then make you repeat the technique many times. It's excellent for getting you fluent with computation, but it's really bad for actual mathematical comprehension. That is to say, I can imagine it being really good for A-level (at the higher levels of Kumon) and useless for STEP.
Reply 5
Original post by Smaug123
I got up to mid-J around Year 7, before I stopped. Any particular reason? (I've marked papers for my local centre, too.)

Ah ok, J was a tough level.
I am on level K, I wanted some help and wanted to discuss whether or not to stay. :0
Reply 6

It is more of a self learning program. But, when you get stuck the instructor surely helps you. Plus, they come with solution books.
Original post by Yumna89
It is more of a self learning program. But, when you get stuck the instructor surely helps you. Plus, they come with solution books.

So, would you recommend the place for someone in year 7-9? :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Yumna89
Ah ok, J was a tough level.
I am on level K, I wanted some help and wanted to discuss whether or not to stay. :0

Anything particularly you want help on?
Reply 9
So, would you recommend the place for someone in year 7-9? :smile:

Depends on what you're looking for. KUMON strengthens your maths skills, but it can get a bit tough at times. You aren't allowed to use a calculator at all too. If you do the assessment, you usually start from a low level, say like A or B. Around J only, is the higher level maths covered - which takes quite a while to reach. I took 4 years to reach level K - which meant it never really helped me with my higher maths cos by then I was complete with my AS levels.

So, I am not sure what year 7 - 9 supposed to be :biggrin:, I'm guessing like grade 7, if so I suggest you rather get a private tutor to help. My only reason for doing KUMON was that I never did any formal studies and went straight to my AS levels. I needed a maths background so get in the groove and KUMON started from a low level, so I did it. I guess if I had formal schooling or a maths background - I wouldn't have done it. It's kinda stressful at times LOL!

Hope my long lecture was of help to you :P!
Reply 10

I'll take a photo and show you :biggrin:!
I went a couple of times but the person in charge hated me and also, I got distracted by literally everyone around me. The Kumon near me was really busy with over 30 kids in one hall
Original post by Yumna89
Depends on what you're looking for. KUMON strengthens your maths skills, but it can get a bit tough at times. You aren't allowed to use a calculator at all too. If you do the assessment, you usually start from a low level, say like A or B. Around J only, is the higher level maths covered - which takes quite a while to reach. I took 4 years to reach level K - which meant it never really helped me with my higher maths cos by then I was complete with my AS levels.

So, I am not sure what year 7 - 9 supposed to be :biggrin:, I'm guessing like grade 7, if so I suggest you rather get a private tutor to help. My only reason for doing KUMON was that I never did any formal studies and went straight to my AS levels. I needed a maths background so get in the groove and KUMON started from a low level, so I did it. I guess if I had formal schooling or a maths background - I wouldn't have done it. It's kinda stressful at times LOL!

Hope my long lecture was of help to you :P!

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I like that they don't let you use a calculator - if exposed to one from an early age in Maths I find that people become 'lazy'. Not having a calculator forces them to improve their mental maths, which is great :smile: I think I will stick to online resources for now then :biggrin:
It was not bad but didn't improve my maths skills a lot to be honest...

They literally gave you sheets of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division to do and you sit there doing them with other students and you'd "level" up as well.

And then for English, that wasn't much use at all... simply learning the spellings of words and learning the definitions without actually putting them into practice was utterly pointless.

It was an alright experience but I wouldn't recommend it to others personally
Reply 14
Original post by Lovinlife2
And then for English, that wasn't much use at all... simply learning the spellings of words and learning the definitions without actually putting them into practice was utterly pointless.

I am of the opinion that Kumon English is actively harmful in its "reading comprehension" sections. It teaches you to "comprehend" text by picking out phrases and filling them into the blanks. In response to a question like "Fill in the blank: Katy thinks animals ___", it results in pupils writing things like "Katy thinks animals she likes them a lot", which they would never dream of saying. (That was made up off the top of my head, but I've seen worse than that.)
Original post by Yumna89
Hi there,

Cheers

Hi I do kumon! :smile: I'm on level L in English so I've almost finished, and I have almost finished finished level J in Maths!
Although many people don't see the point of it, it is VERY helpful! You teach yourself which is good and the worksheets help you to do methods which are quicker and easier. In school work is easier especially in maths (I'm doing Higher GCSE and A-Level stuff at the moment).
I'll admit that as you get higher up it gets harder- but's to be expected! You have to be committed though to get through it but it is worth it! :smile:
Quote me or message me if you want to ask me anything else!
Hope this helps!
I am of the opinion that Kumon English is actively harmful in its "reading comprehension" sections. It teaches you to "comprehend" text by picking out phrases and filling them into the blanks. In response to a question like "Fill in the blank: Katy thinks animals ___", it results in pupils writing things like "Katy thinks animals she likes them a lot", which they would never dream of saying. (That was made up off the top of my head, but I've seen worse than that.)

You're absolutely correct, English at Kumon was just like that. I feel that this is an absolute controlled environment almost like a lab experiment whereby the results you achieve in the study (in this case your English work) cannot be applied to other settings because findings will differ in other situations outside the research area (i.e. - the English you learn at Kumon will be of no real use in "real" life).

I did not ever feel satisfied that I'd actually learnt something in Kumon. Sad really.
Reply 17

Here we go, I wanted to know if there is anyway of finding the x and y axis without having to plot the entire thing. It takes ages doing so. Also the little thing they showing right at the bottom of the page, how did they actually come to that answer?

IMG-20140427-07807.jpg
Reply 18
Original post by karmacrunch
Hi I do kumon! :smile: I'm on level L in English so I've almost finished, and I have almost finished finished level J in Maths!
Although many people don't see the point of it, it is VERY helpful! You teach yourself which is good and the worksheets help you to do methods which are quicker and easier. In school work is easier especially in maths (I'm doing Higher GCSE and A-Level stuff at the moment).
I'll admit that as you get higher up it gets harder- but's to be expected! You have to be committed though to get through it but it is worth it! :smile:
Quote me or message me if you want to ask me anything else!
Hope this helps!

That is great mate. But, I'm on K now LOL. Anyway if you need help, let me know. I'm kinda struggling some parts cos my instructor is only on level I, and there aren't any other students on my level. If I need help she has to email the head office in Johannesburg and wait for the answer.

So what do you suggest? I stay on and complete. I am done with matric, but wanna now study computer science, so I thought I might as well complete. Your suggestions...
Original post by Yumna89
That is great mate. But, I'm on K now LOL. Anyway if you need help, let me know. I'm kinda struggling some parts cos my instructor is only on level I, and there aren't any other students on my level. If I need help she has to email the head office in Johannesburg and wait for the answer.

So what do you suggest? I stay on and complete. I am done with matric, but wanna now study computer science, so I thought I might as well complete. Your suggestions...

That's really unlucky! In our centre we have some assistants who can help to some stage and the instructor is really helpful. But if it's English I'm on my own a lot of the time! :tongue:
Well if you enjoy it or think if it is helping you... Why not? You only ('only') have 4 levels left. Getting past I & J is an achievement itself I think! :smile:
Maybe look at the description sheet of the levels and see if you feel they are necessary to what you want to do.
Thank you for offering to help as well!

Quick Reply

Latest