The Student Room Group

Using current employer as a reference

When I applied for a graduate scheme, I was asked to provide 2 references: my current employer and an academic reference which I put on the application form.

Now, when I filled this out (months ago), I didn't contact my current employer for a reference because I know graduate schemes are tough to get on to and didn't want them to think I was leaving as I didn't even know if I would get a graduate position. It would have better to put a previous employer but didn't have the option.

Since then, I have been offered the position (but no contract or start date as yet) and HR have contacted me to follow up references. I would like to keep my current job until July or August when the grad position is likely to start but if I ask my current manager about a reference then it will obviously give away that I'm leaving.

What's best to do in this situation? Ask permission to my manager for a reference, ask HR if it can wait until closer to a start date or something else?
Reply 1
You should tell your current employer that you're starting on the grad scheme and that they should expect a reference request.

You can then continue to work there and give your notice when you have an official start date. Does it really matter if the manager knows you're going to leave? They'd probably appreciate being able to plan.
Hand in your notice and explain that you would like to stay on until said time . It'll give your current employment more time to find a replacement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by BANS2012
Hand in your notice and explain that you would like to stay on until said time . It'll give your current employment more time to find a replacement.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They can't give their formal written notice as they don't have a start date yet, but yes they should definitely verbally inform their employer of their plans and the rough timescale.
Original post by alibee
They can't give their formal written notice as they don't have a start date yet, but yes they should definitely verbally inform their employer of their plans and the rough timescale.

I would suggest contacting new employer and ask for a rough start date

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fireice7
When I applied for a graduate scheme, I was asked to provide 2 references: my current employer and an academic reference which I put on the application form.

Now, when I filled this out (months ago), I didn't contact my current employer for a reference because I know graduate schemes are tough to get on to and didn't want them to think I was leaving as I didn't even know if I would get a graduate position. It would have better to put a previous employer but didn't have the option.

Since then, I have been offered the position (but no contract or start date as yet) and HR have contacted me to follow up references. I would like to keep my current job until July or August when the grad position is likely to start but if I ask my current manager about a reference then it will obviously give away that I'm leaving.

What's best to do in this situation? Ask permission to my manager for a reference, ask HR if it can wait until closer to a start date or something else?

Unless you are doing a job like bar staff where it is easy to fill and so an employer can afford to act irrationally, this situation happens all the time. The Grad scheme won't wait more than a couple of weeks or so to get a reference.

You need to meet your current manager and say you've been offered a great opportunity on a graduate scheme, probably starting in September (or whenever) and please could you have a reference. You'll keep them informed of the exact start date so they can fill your position.

You are warning them of a move and asking for a reference. You aren't handing in your notice until you actually hand in your notice. And they can't sack you for getting another job in 3-5 months time. In fact, it's very useful for an employer to get this length of warning, because they can make proper recruitment plans and ensure they don't have a gap.
Original post by threeportdrift
Unless you are doing a job like bar staff where it is easy to fill and so an employer can afford to act irrationally, this situation happens all the time. The Grad scheme won't wait more than a couple of weeks or so to get a reference.

You need to meet your current manager and say you've been offered a great opportunity on a graduate scheme, probably starting in September (or whenever) and please could you have a reference. You'll keep them informed of the exact start date so they can fill your position.

You are warning them of a move and asking for a reference. You aren't handing in your notice until you actually hand in your notice. And they can't sack you for getting another job in 3-5 months time. In fact, it's very useful for an employer to get this length of warning, because they can make proper recruitment plans and ensure they don't have a gap.

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending