The Student Room Group

Using Wamp/phpMyAdmin/SQL

I have been asked to use this system for running a database for a society at uni, and am completely out of my depth, so would appreciate some advice, as am struggling to find anything useful online.

I have downloaded and opened phpMyAdmin, and imported the database, but can't seem to find my way around it, and can't work out how to do enquiries. Has anyone got any experience of this system, as I can't find much online.

thanks
Reply 1
MySQL will be the database you're using (it's the M in WAMP) and uses a language called SQL to query it (and it fairly common between all large databases - although they usually have slight oddities where they don't quite follow the same standards)

Is there are particular reason for WAMP - or is that just to provide a local environment for you to learn in. The more common approach is LAMP (same thing but on Linux instead of Windows).

If you're new to web design then you'll probably need to learn html and css first (or find someone else to do those parts of the system).

Assuming it's going to be something like a database of members you might also want to ensure you know about the data protection act and ensure than any access to the DB is secure (phpMyAdmin hasn't always been the most secure thing out there)
Original post by mespannerhanz
I have been asked to use this system for running a database for a society at uni, and am completely out of my depth, so would appreciate some advice, as am struggling to find anything useful online.

I have downloaded and opened phpMyAdmin, and imported the database, but can't seem to find my way around it, and can't work out how to do enquiries. Has anyone got any experience of this system, as I can't find much online.

thanks

This is all very easy.

First of all, I would recommend Xampp over Wamp. Secondly, go on YouTube and start watching mySQL and php tutorial videos, IMO these are the best learning tools available.
I use Xampp as well, so I agree with the poster above. Also, there is an easier way than writing the queries yourself, as there is a basic GUI interface to import, export, add, edit, remove etc.
There's a difficult answer and a less-difficult answer to this.

The difficult answer is itself a question - what do they want from this setup? What's the society about, what does the database hold, is this for their website or just to maintain a database of something? Everyone starts somewhere with this and that's absolutely fine, but normally questions around *AMP installations are more specific. If somebody is expecting you to code PHP, that is considerably different to someone asking you to maintain a database and off-the-cuff suggesting WAMP.

The less-difficult answer simply tells you how to use phpMyAdmin.

Basics on using phpMyAdmin: http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/phpmyadmin/
The most powerful and useful feature in any database system is the high-level language you can use to query databases. In phpMyAdmin you can enter SQL queries under the 'SQL' or 'Execute' tabs. A good SQL starting tutorial is: http://www.w3schools.com/sql/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending