The Student Room Group

10 interview rejections in four months

Though I am employed at present and have been offered a string of jobs, I cannot offset the consistent rejections. I remember last year that I went to a string of interviews and was rejected consistently from everyone. It became concerning that the same cycle repeated itself this year.
I have requested feedback and more of than not, it seems to regurgitate the cliché: ‘We have found someone with more experience in our industry than you.’ I wonder if that is lip service that has been paid to me to distract that they don’t like me.
What do you think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kasa
Though I am employed at present and have been offered a string of jobs, I cannot offset the consistent rejections. I remember last year that I went to a string of interviews and was rejected consistently from everyone. It became concerning that the same cycle repeated itself this year.
I have requested feedback and more of than not, it seems to regurgitate the cliché: ‘We have found someone with more experience in our industry than you.’ I wonder if that is lip service that has been paid to me to distract that they don’t like me.
What do you think?

They don't like you / you're applying for jobs that aren't suitable

You have a job and have been offered a string of jobs

Deal
Reply 2
Original post by Hedgeman49
They don't like you / you're applying for jobs that aren't suitable

You have a job and have been offered a string of jobs

Deal

The job that I have been offered isn't very good though!
Reply 3
Where have you been applying for?

I've had 6 interviews and I haven't got a graduate job. I'm starting to bite my nails!
Reply 4
Original post by wharfee
Where have you been applying for?

I've had 6 interviews and I haven't got a graduate job. I'm starting to bite my nails!

Internships, graduate roles, marketing roles. Most of which are centralised around the social sciences rather than anything tangible.
Original post by Kasa
What do you think?

If you are getting to interview that consistently your CV/application is working effectively, so it is something going wrong at the interview stage, as you suggest.

I've been on about 10 interview panels in the last year, for a range of jobs and I think in almost every case of the 4-6 people we interviewed on each, at least 3 of them could have done the job fine, and we made our decision on very fine judgements. The 2 candidates who missed out couldn't have done anything different. So 'we selected a candidate with more experience' is increasingly common at the moment.

However, it can also be a cover for a number of other issues.

Make sure if you control your nerves and speak clearly and slowly. Similarly if you have a strong accent, keep it as clear as possible.

Try and ring any contact given in the job advert and find out what the main projects coming up for the role are, or what the priorities for the organisation are for the next year or what the 3 main skills they are looking for are. Anything that gives you a focus when you are answering questions. It looks great to have done research on a company and making your answers relevant rather than generic often tips things your way.

Make sure you don't have any annoying ticks. Don't go ummm or errrr every second word. Don't say 'I guess...........' or similar in front of every answer.

Make confident, natural eye contact with all the interviewers. Bear in mind they have already selected you and WANT to interview you, they are actually on your side when the interview starts!
Reply 6
Original post by threeportdrift
If you are getting to interview that consistently your CV/application is working effectively, so it is something going wrong at the interview stage, as you suggest.

I've been on about 10 interview panels in the last year, for a range of jobs and I think in almost every case of the 4-6 people we interviewed on each, at least 3 of them could have done the job fine, and we made our decision on very fine judgements. The 2 candidates who missed out couldn't have done anything different. So 'we selected a candidate with more experience' is increasingly common at the moment.

However, it can also be a cover for a number of other issues.

Make sure if you control your nerves and speak clearly and slowly. Similarly if you have a strong accent, keep it as clear as possible.

Try and ring any contact given in the job advert and find out what the main projects coming up for the role are, or what the priorities for the organisation are for the next year or what the 3 main skills they are looking for are. Anything that gives you a focus when you are answering questions. It looks great to have done research on a company and making your answers relevant rather than generic often tips things your way.

Make sure you don't have any annoying ticks. Don't go ummm or errrr every second word. Don't say 'I guess...........' or similar in front of every answer.

Make confident, natural eye contact with all the interviewers. Bear in mind they have already selected you and WANT to interview you, they are actually on your side when the interview starts!

Thank you for your honest and genuine integrity in the advice that you have provided.
Reply 7
But I also feel that it could be something about me that is letting me down in the situation.
Reply 8
Ouch, that sucks. At least you are employed at the moment.

Maybe consider working on public speaking? There are some great groups dedicated to that which might be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending