The Student Room Group

A2 - Level Law study help for Criminal Law!

Hey guys! I saw that a lot of people on forum been asking for Criminal Law notes or presentations so I though I might post here my youtube channel and website where I have created some great animated presentations!

That's my youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/user/CollegeLaww at the moment you should be able to find there 12 videos based on criminal law! I would appreciate if you could leave comment, subscribe or like the video, it means a lot guys! :smile:

And that's the website - http://collegelaw.co.uk/ most important you will find there a case lists for videos I have done as well as some exam past questions or exam tips on topics like defence of consent :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
Reply 2
New video on Causation will come up soon :smile:
Just subbed. Keep the videos coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Undisclosed 15
Just subbed. Keep the videos coming.

Thank you! Today I updated the video on defence of consent :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m-vr7uVvHU
Could you slow down the videos in the future as at the moment, they are a little to fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Could you slow down the videos in the future as at the moment, they are a little to fast.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You could just pause it at the right moment. Have your hand hover over the space bar and it will pause when pressed.
Reply 7

Hi, thanks I am already trying to do it, but some people read faster or slower than others so I need to take this to consideration. Alternatively you can always do what Capitanbadman mentioned above:

Original post by Captainbadman
You could just pause it at the right moment. Have your hand hover over the space bar and it will pause when pressed.
Original post by Faild
Hi, thanks I am already trying to do it, but some people read faster or slower than others so I need to take this to consideration. Alternatively you can always do what Capitanbadman mentioned above:

On a tablet you have to press the screen and it is rather annoying constantly tapping the screen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
New video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCaxConAMRs
I will try to upload couple more before exam :smile:
Are you going to continue uploading them after the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Are you going to continue uploading them after the exam?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, yes I will. I want to upload all topics :smile:
While it is great that you are clearly putting a lot of effort into your revision, I would advise caution to anyone seeking to rely on these notes/videos. While most of it is not entirely wrong, there are some quite significant gaps and some of the concepts are not very clearly explained. There are also a few rather glaring errors.
Reply 13
Original post by Bar None
While it is great that you are clearly putting a lot of effort into your revision, I would advise caution to anyone seeking to rely on these notes/videos. While most of it is not entirely wrong, there are some quite significant gaps and some of the concepts are not very clearly explained. There are also a few rather glaring errors.

Hey thank you :smile:
Those are only revision videos therefore fully relaying on them won't lead to good grade since I don't include evaluation in them, I might make separate videos for this in future. Also reason why some topics are not explained fully is because of the time, I try to keep those videos reasonably short.
Also what kind of errors did you found? It would help me a lot when I will be updating them, thank you :smile:
Taking your notes on assaults as an example, and focusing only on factual errors (not grammar or style etc):

Introduction

Non-fatal offences against the person is quite self-explanatory; they are offences against a person that don't result in death. It does, however, result in various degrees of injury.

Offences against the person do not necessarily require any injury, for example assault and battery (as you go on to recognise).

Assault

This is a summary offence under common law. s39 of the Criminal and Justice Act 1988 has given courts the power to fine a maximum of £5000 or a prison sentence of up to six months. The Actus Reus of assault is any unlawful act which leads to the victim’s apprehension that something bad might happen to them.

- An assault is committed when a person (intentionally or recklessly) causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force, not just that something bad might happen to them. It would not be assault for example if I told them I was about to steal all the money from their bank account, as this would involve no use of force.

- There is also no requirement that my threatening act be unlawful, so long as the force I am threatening to use would be unlawful. It is not unlawful for me to hold a baseball bat above my head, but it is still an assault if another person believes I am about to hit them with it, and that was my intention.

- The final part of the actus reus is that the victim believe that unlawful force will immediately be used against them. It is not sufficient for them to believe that the force will take place at some undefined point in the future. For example, a threat that "I will come and beat you up next week" is not an assault as the threat is not immediate.

- Strictly speaking, while the case law is slighting conflicting on this, I think assault is actually considered a statutory offence - though I would not worry about this point.

The acts can exted to.... words, actions or even silent phone calls. Case example - Ireland 1997 Assault occurred by silent phone calls. Assault occurred by silent phone calls. Assault occurred through the fear of violence.
Correct words can also prevent an assault, like saying I will not hurt you. Case example - Tuberville v Savage 1669 Even though the defendant fulfilled the actus reus, his statement was held to remove the threat.

These cases are not very clearly explained. In Tuberville v Savage the point was that although a threat was made, it was clear from the rest of what was said that it was not going to be carried out e.g. saying "if there weren't so many people around I'd beat you up". While I have threatened to use unlawful force against you, you cannot apprehend immediate use of force because I have made it clear that I am not going to attack you now.

The defendant has to either have the intention to cause another to apprehend the immediate application of unlawful force. Or recklessness, as to whether such apprehension is caused. The defendant must realise that the acts/words could cause another to apprehend unlawful violence.
Original post by Faild
Hey thank you :smile:
Those are only revision videos therefore fully relaying on them won't lead to good grade since I don't include evaluation in them, I might make separate videos for this in future. Also reason why some topics are not explained fully is because of the time, I try to keep those videos reasonably short.
Also what kind of errors did you found? It would help me a lot when I will be updating them, thank you :smile:

As a general point of feedback I would also suggest structuring your videos a bit more clearly. If you are covering a particular offence, the clearest way to deal with it is usually to set out the elements of the offence and then go through them one by one. E.g. theft is:

1. dishonest
2. appropriation
3. of property
4. belonging to another
5. with intention to permanently deprive

After that you can deal with possible defences and sentencing
(edited 9 years ago)
As a general point of feedback I would also suggest structuring your videos a bit more clearly. If you are covering a particular offence, the clearest way to deal with it is usually to set out the elements of the offence and then go through them one by one. E.g. theft is:

1. dishonest
2. appropriation
3. of property
4. belonging to another

Sorry, hadn't watched your theft video in which you do precisely that!
Reply 17

1. dishonest
2. appropriation
3. of property
4. belonging to another

Thanks, I will keep that in mind :smile:
Reply 18
Involuntary Constructive Manslaughter - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWEXUbieGEA
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending