The Student Room Group

Why are housewife shows so popular with women?

Why? There's like 3000 shows about housewives or women who do nothing all day (see : the 50 Kardashian shows). It never stops. The reality shows about guys are about jobs, anything from moving houses on the highway, restoring things, logging, flying planes or ice road trucking to oil drilling to finding precious gems in the Africa or building bikes or fish tanks. Why are all housewives shows so popular with women? Why not some shows where you do actual work, not just go out for cocktails, shopping and bitch behind your friends' backs ? Could this have something to do with almost all women dreaming about staying at home?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2649438

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by jamieTT
Why? There's like 3000 shows about housewives or women who do nothing all day (see : the 50 Kardashian shows). It never stops. The reality shows about guys are about jobs, anything from moving houses on the highway, restoring things, logging, flying planes or ice road trucking to oil drilling to finding precious gems in the Africa or building bikes or fish tanks. Why are all housewives shows so popular with women? Why not some shows where you do actual work, not just go out for cocktails, shopping and bitch behind your friends' backs ? Could this have something to do with almost all women dreaming about staying at home?

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2649438

They all want to be Eva Longoria.
Reply 2
What did you do on your week off, Jamie?

On topic - I don't watch them, nor do I care to get my knickers in a twist about them.
Reply 3
People like to watch TV programmes about how people with lifestyles different to theirs live. I might also point out that the draw of The Real Housewives of New York (for example) seems to be the exceptional wealth and foreign environment, not the fact that they don't have jobs (incidentally some of them do).
Reply 4
Original post by James Gee
They all want to be Eva Longoria.

Reply 5
Original post by awe
What did you do on your week off, Jamie?

On topic - I don't watch them, nor do I care to get my knickers in a twist about them.

The final score would be 6-0 6-0 and I'd golf clap every single point you'd win. The reason for this is because potato.

*Potato = biology.
It's the fantasy. These fake, manufactured shows present a world full of luxury, drama, and sex appeal. They always look good, with designer clothes, fancy cars, and the means to stay young and beautiful. They're what so many of us want to be, and that keeps us tuning in week after week.

I can't stand the **** myself, my mum seems to like it though. :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
a lot of female ladies do aim to have the "South Fork" lifestyle... shopping & ****ing.
I love me some real housewives :love: though tbf most of the women do actually work anyhoo I wouldn't say I watch it because it's a housewife show I just like reality TV and it's on when I get home :smile:
Never watched any of them.

Some of my friends do - they like the drama. I don't think they dream about doing nothing all day as most of them are pretty education and career driven. These TV shows are entertaining and make up a lot of daytime TV - for when we get bored of Jeremy Kyle. I don't think it's anything more than that.
Reply 12
Original post by the bear
a lot of female ladies do aim to have the "South Fork" lifestyle... shopping & ****ing.

The wife agrees.
Escapism.
Reply 14
Original post by jamieTT
The wife agrees.

Of course your wife agrees, she's trying to validate her own (or your?) choice for her life in becoming a housewife in the face of perceived criticism from other women who she deems 'envious' of her lifestyle, by claiming that most women would make the same choice if able to.
Reply 15
Original post by Ronove
Of course your wife agrees, she's trying to validate her own (or your?) choice for her life in becoming a housewife in the face of perceived criticism from other women who she deems 'envious' of her lifestyle, by claiming that most women would make the same choice if able to.

At a moment in history when the American conversation seems to be obsessed with bringing attention to women in the workplace (check out “The End of Men,” or Google “gender paygap” for a primer), it seems a remarkable chasm between what we’d like to see (more women in the corporate ranks) and what we’d like for ourselves (getting out of Dodge). But it’s true: according to our survey, 84% of working women told ForbesWoman and TheBump that staying home to raise children is a financial luxury they aspire to.

What’s more, more than one in three resent their partner for not earning enough to make that dream a reality.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/meghancasserly/2012/09/12/is-opting-out-the-new-american-dream-for-working-women/

In Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland, according to the OECD, women still work fewer hours and earn less money than men; they also remain a rare sight in executive offices, computer-science classrooms and, though the OECD doesn’t say it I’m willing to bet, philosophy conferences. Sweden, the gold standard of gender equality in many minds, has one of the highest percentages of women working part time anywhere in the world.

http://ideas.time.com/2013/09/04/do-women-really-want-equality/

Most women don't want to be men , no matter how much brainwashing and gender androgyny vomit your type will submit them to. Nature >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nurture.
Reply 16

Because a survey of 1000 American women, many of which were visitors (or rather members of the 'community', whatever that means) on a site called TheBump.com, and the rest of which were visitors to (or again, members of) ForbesWoman's site, is definitely going to be representative of women everywhere. I'm not sure what the demographic is for the latter, but I sure as hell can have a good guess at what it is for the former.

Because women can only work part time because they aspire to stop working and become a housewife, and not because of myriad other factors :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: - for example, the need for one of the parents to spend some time raising the kids, and it simply making more sense for it to be the mother, due to differences in pay, for one thing, and due to it (sadly) still being socially much less acceptable for the father to go down to part time if the mother doesn't earn loads more than he does. Combine this with the fact that many men simply do not want to be the one who stays home with the kids while still being of the opinion that someone should, and the result is that many women don't have much against taking one for the team and going part-time for a few years (and I'm sure the majority don't have too much against getting to spend a bit more time with their kids, they are supposed to be a joy after all).

What do you know of Scandinavian culture and the possible reasons why a woman would work part-time? I worked part-time last year, not because I wanted to stay at home, but because with my partner's full-time job and my earnings we were comfortable enough, and it was unbelievably stressful trying to find a job in the first place, so why force me to find a full-time job when it was all only temporary anyway? If all goes to plan I'll only be working part-time over the next six years because I'll also be studying full-time in order to further my career and ultimately become the main breadwinner, something my partner is not insecure about. The opportunities for further part-time study as an adult here are many, maybe that's another reason women in Sweden often work part-time? Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Most women don't want to be men , no matter how much brainwashing and gender androgyny vomit your type will submit them to. Nature >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>nurture.

Having a job or a career, getting out of the house and earning money does not make anyone a man. Good job exposing your ridiculous views though. Does your wife think that if she had a part-time job she'd be 'more of a man'? I doubt it somehow. I saw your wife speak in another thread and she doesn't seem to realise just how absurd your views are. It's good to know she's not the helpless lamb you make her out to be though.

Incidentally, what makes you think nature is a stronger force than nurture in any given case? Are you a biologist? A psychologist? No?
And don't forget gay men :h:.
Reply 18
Original post by keromedic
And don't forget gay men :h:.

inb4 the OP claims that gay men also want to be housewives and that's because their brains think they're women.
Reply 19
Original post by Ronove
Because a survey of 1000 American women, many of which were visitors (or rather members of the 'community', whatever that means) on a site called TheBump.com, and the rest of which were visitors to (or again, members of) ForbesWoman's site, is definitely going to be representative of women everywhere. I'm not sure what the demographic is for the latter, but I sure as hell can have a good guess at what it is for the former.

Here's more from across the world:

Half of young Swedish mums want to be housewives: study

http://www.thelocal.se/20111025/36946

62% admitted they 'secretly' wished to be a housewife
74% said they felt pressure from other women to be independent
78% said they wouldn't mind being financially dependent on their partner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2324926/Majority-British-women-pick-housewife-having-career.html

Men and women appear to be happy to revert to their traditional roles as bread winners and housewives, new research has suggested.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2636508/Women-are-happy-to-be-housewives.html#disqus_thread

Asked whether, if money were not a worry, they would prefer to stay at home with their children, 55 per cent said yes.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/features/what-women-really-want/story-e6frg6z6-1225984615048

A recent survey by Youth Intelligence, a market research and trend-tracking firm in New York, showed that 68% of 3,000 married and single young women said they would ditch work if they could afford to do so. A Cosmo poll of 800 women said two out of three respondents would rather be at home than climb the corporate ladder.

http://articles.latimes.com/2000/may/26/news/cl-34084

The average 29-year-old now hankers for a return to the lifestyle of a 1950s housewife. The daughters of the "Cosmo" generation of feminists want nothing more than a happy marriage and domestic bliss in the countryside, according to a survey.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/desperate-to-be-housewives-young-women-yearn-for-1950s-role-as-stayathome-mums-527857.html

Having a career or a job doesn't make you a man, it just isn't what most women want. And this is why the most popular shows women watch are about being a housewife while guys have countless shows about careers and jobs. As for nature vs nurture, when you find similar results across basically all cultures in so many choices men and women make, you have to wonder if it's all a coincidence. Unless, of course, you believe it's a worldwide masculist conspiracy. Not to mention similar roles and behaviour seen is almost all of our closest animal relatives. But this is too complex and off topic for this thread and I've been through it 1000 times with feminists who cannot stray away from their ideology for a single second : it's like Darwin trying to convince the pope that human evolution is a fact.

Quick Reply

Latest