The Student Room Group

To those self-teaching Mathematics

I am also self-teaching EdExcel Mathematics and I'm due to sit my exams in a few weeks. I wanted to ask how each of you went about learning and content and preparing for the exams.

I am currently watching videos of each topic on M4ths.com or ExamSolutions and then attempting all the tasks in the book. After doing this I then move on the the Solomon papers and then finally, the real papers.

Also, if you did use the books to learn and practice may I ask how long (roughly) you spent on each chapter learning and doing the tasks? I am currently spending on average about 2-3 days per chapter, can this be done in less time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Doing the full set of exercises in the book can take a bit of time.
Reply 2
Original post by Old_Simon
Doing the full set of exercises in the book can take a bit of time.

Yep, completing each individual chapter is taking me longer than I thought it would and although I want to learn at a faster pace I really want to complete the book because it seems to cover everything (Gives you good practice).

Due to this I don't think I shall be able to attempt many past papers :frown: I seriously hope I manage to practice enough before the exams...
Original post by L'Etudiant
I am also self-teaching EdExcel Mathematics and I'm due to sit my exams in a few weeks. I wanted to ask how each of you went about learning and content and preparing for the exams.

I am currently watching videos of each topic on M4ths.com or ExamSolutions and then attempting all the tasks in the book. After doing this I then move on the the Solomon papers and then finally, the real papers.

Also, if you did use the books to learn and practice may I ask how long (roughly) you spent on each chapter learning and doing the tasks? I am currently spending on average about 2-3 days per chapter, can this be done in less time?

You are doing normal math right? Not Further math? I personally don't watch videos because it would be better to figure out how and why you got that part wrong.

As for your progression, I think NOW it's the time to start doing the solomon papers since there's 10 per unit for core math and 6 for further math.

It took me 6-8 hours for me to complete the later chapters(1-2 for the intro chapters). Completing means doing ALL the exercise in the book and read from top to bottom.
Reply 4
Yep, completing each individual chapter is taking me longer than I thought it would and although I want to learn at a faster pace I really want to complete the book because it seems to cover everything (Gives you good practice).

Due to this I don't think I shall be able to attempt many past papers :frown: I seriously hope I manage to practice enough before the exams...

Don't leave past papers "to the end". For each chapter pick out all the past paper questions on that topic and do them. TBH you sound as though you are very late in really getting into this.
Reply 5
Original post by Wilsoncw1997
You are doing normal math right? Not Further math? I personally don't watch videos because it would be better to figure out how and why you got that part wrong.

As for your progression, I think NOW it's the time to start doing the solomon papers since there's 10 per unit for core math and 6 for further math.

It took me 6-8 hours for me to complete the later chapters(1-2 for the intro chapters). Completing means doing ALL the exercise in the book and read from top to bottom.

Your timings match the spec which suggests 65 hours per module ie about 8 hours per chapter.

I can not agree about the videos. Exam Solutions is an amazing resource.
Reply 6

I am doing both AS Maths and AS Further Maths (Core 1 & 2, FP1, S1, S2 and D1).

I find the videos quite helpful, I don't have trouble learning from the books but I find I pick stuff up quicker using the videos and then doing the tasks straight after. Wow man, 6-8 hours! By that, do you mean you can complete an entire chapter per day? Or is the 6-8 hours spread out over a few days?
Reply 7
Don't leave past papers "to the end". For each chapter pick out all the past paper questions on that topic and do them. TBH you sound as though you are very late in really getting into this.

I am trying my best. I did indeed start very late (I started AS Maths in late February) as I had only just found out about self-teaching and sitting exams as a private candidate. If only I knew in September... :frown:

Due to the wealth of resources available for Edexcel Maths though I think I am more than able to get a respectable grade but hopefully I manage my time well enough to get better than that.
Reply 8
I am trying my best. I did indeed start very late (I started AS Maths in late February) as I had only just found out about self-teaching and sitting exams as a private candidate. If only I knew in September... :frown:

Due to the wealth of resources available for Edexcel Maths though I think I am more than able to get a respectable grade but hopefully I manage my time well enough to get better than that.

It depends what you did already I guess. Good luck.

PS: Those modules are by some margin the easiest as you might expect. Nothing in the applied of any difficulty at all.
(edited 10 years ago)
I am doing both AS Maths and AS Further Maths (Core 1 & 2, FP1, S1, S2 and D1).

I find the videos quite helpful, I don't have trouble learning from the books but I find I pick stuff up quicker using the videos and then doing the tasks straight after. Wow man, 6-8 hours! By that, do you mean you can complete an entire chapter per day? Or is the 6-8 hours spread out over a few days?

Depends on my other work and my mood. If I get frustrated such as Fp1's induction chapter, then I'll do something else and come back to it later on. But if the chapter was S2's hypothesis testing then I completed it within one day since that chapter was FUN. :biggrin:
Reply 10
It depends what you did already I guess. Good luck.

Thank you :smile:

Depends on my other work and my mood. If I get frustrated such as Fp1's induction chapter, then I'll do something else and come back to it later on. But if the chapter was S2's hypothesis testing then I completed it within one day since that chapter was FUN. :biggrin:

Brilliant, that does give me hope!

In terms of learning Maths I am picking things up pretty quickly - if I do practice questions I have little trouble remembering the various formulas etc. but the thing that tends to hold me back a bit is the wording of the questions, sometimes it feels like the English they're using is Alien and the only way for me to figure out what they are asking is watch ExamSolution's videos.
(edited 10 years ago)
Your timings match the spec which suggests 65 hours per module ie about 8 hours per chapter.

I can not agree about the videos. Exam Solutions is an amazing resource.

Maybe it's just me. I grew up learning from a textbook only, so other methods don't work for me.
Thank you :smile:

Brilliant, that does give me hope!

In terms of learning Maths I am picking things up pretty quickly - if I do practice questions I have little trouble remembering the various formulas etc. but the thing that tends to hold me back a bit is the wording of the questions, sometimes it feels like the English they're using is Alien and the only way for me to figure out what they are asking is watch ExamSolution's videos.

Are you talking about S2?
As an added thought: When you start self learning it is a challenge to work out how long stuff should take because schools drag everything out over weeks and months for no discernible good reason. Differentiation in total is no more than a weekend's work for example. A self learner can get far more done far faster.
Reply 14
Are you talking about S2?

Regarding the wording of the questions? If so, all of them lol. Once I know what is being asked me I don't have that much trouble working it out :smile:

As an added thought: When you start self learning it is a challenge to work out how long stuff should take because schools drag everything out over weeks and months for no discernible good reason. Differentiation in total is no more than a weekend's work for example. A self learner can get far more done far faster.

True, that was a struggle initially as I felt so depressed for starting so many months later than everyone. For me, learning isn't much of a problem it's more to do with practice, I fear I won't have enough time :frown:
(edited 10 years ago)
Regarding the wording of the questions? If so, all of them lol. Once I know what is being asked me I don't have that much trouble working it out :smile:

True, that was a struggle initially as I felt so depressed for starting so many months later than everyone. For me, learning isn't much of a problem it's more to do with practice, I fear I won't have enough time :frown:

Cheer up!!! I started further math in jan last year and I still ended up with a 290/300 last year. :biggrin:

Please don't ask me S12, i really don't remember what I've learnt. Sorry
Reply 16

Right I'm going to do as much as I can to help you out, as I'm doing it right now.

1) Do not do every question in the exercises, just do as many as you need to in order to understand the topic, also make sure you do the last few though, as these are usually the hardest and most like exam style.

2) In all honestly I got through an average of 2 chapters a day for most of C3 and around 1 a day for C4. Work hard and try to get through the book as fast as you can whilst ensuring you understand it all. Then move on to past papers as soon as possible.

3) I'm not sure if you have one, but here's a link to a solution guide to every question in all of the books: http://www.solutionbanks.com/download.html

Good luck aswell! :smile:
Reply 17
Cheer up!!! I started further math in jan last year and I still ended up with a 290/300 last year. :biggrin:

Please don't ask me S12, i really don't remember what I've learnt. Sorry

Wow, well done! :biggrin:

Original post by JamesMartinez
Right I'm going to do as much as I can to help you out, as I'm doing it right now.

1) Do not do every question in the exercises, just do as many as you need to in order to understand the topic, also make sure you do the last few though, as these are usually the hardest and most like exam style.

2) In all honestly I got through an average of 2 chapters a day for most of C3 and around 1 a day for C4. Work hard and try to get through the book as fast as you can whilst ensuring you understand it all. Then move on to past papers as soon as possible.

3) I'm not sure if you have one, but here's a link to a solution guide to every question in all of the books: http://www.solutionbanks.com/download.html

Good luck aswell! :smile:

Hey dude!

Yep, you're right. I am making a special effort to ensure I complete all extension questions :smile: To me, if I find that I can't do them then it means I don't understand the chapter well enough. Wow, I sincerely hope I can replicate your doing 2 chapters a day lol, currently I am only just managing one per day!

Thanks very much for your help and good luck!
Reply 18
Wow, well done! :biggrin:

Hey dude!

Yep, you're right. I am making a special effort to ensure I complete all extension questions :smile: To me, if I find that I can't do them then it means I don't understand the chapter well enough. Wow, I sincerely hope I can replicate your doing 2 chapters a day lol, currently I am only just managing one per day!

Thanks very much for your help and good luck!

You're welcome, make sure you stick to it though! You can definitely do 2 chapters a day for the units I've done at least, but this was putting in upwards of 10 hours a day of effort, but it's all worth it in the end!
Are we in ... for another bragging thread?

I started further math in jan last year and I still ended up with a 290/300 last year.

Quick Reply

Latest