The Student Room Group

Sweden makes it illegal to criticise immigration?

http://topconservativenews.com/2014/04/sweden-makes-it-illegal-to-criticize-immigrants-on-the-internet/

From Christmas 2014 criticising immigration in Sweden will be outlawed.

Is this one further step of free speech eroded? It's similar to North Korea where it's illegal to criticise the leader.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Inspired by the EU no doubt.
Ansutwly ridiculous. Free speech is free speech, barring perhaps personal abuse of a person or terror threats.
I doubt the validity of the story at this stage.

The main source seems to be "Friatider" - a very right wing online magazine.
Reply 4
I doubted the source at first too but it's been picked up by many.
Original post by This Is Matt
I doubted the source at first too but it's been picked up by many.

That doesn't really validate the original source.

I did some googling and couldn't find anything which didn't link back to Friatider. One site did have a comments thread, where a number of posters said that this story was false, or had been exagerated. One went into some detail about the changes in the law, pointing out that they did not make critism of immingration illegal.

As such, I remain unconvinced.
It could be over-exaggerated but it'll be interesting to know what actually motivated them to write this. Did the EU just pass legislation for something?

When in doubt, simply exercise your freedom of speech by criticising immigration and see if you get arrested. If you are, simply set up a freedom fighting organisation group or freedom of speech campaign. If not, then it's overblown rubbish.

It could be entirely made up but I have a feeling what happened may well be this article reporting on a small plant getting knocked over as a redwood tree being cut down.
I couldn't even read the article as the site is banned by my work's filter on the basis of "Hate and Discrimination".

Probably says enough.
Reply 8
I don't think it's wise to be surprised or doubt anything coming from Sweden my partner is Swedish,it's a police state over there.FRA is the biggest spying computer in use against a people,the country is afraid to speak about anything for fear of loosing jobs it's a small nation so people have less anonymity and less protest groups generally !the media is centralised in Stockholm only and papers owned by only several families.
Reply 9
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I couldn't even read the article as the site is banned by my work's filter on the basis of "Hate and Discrimination".

Probably says enough.

That you work in a oversensitive, politically correct place?
so immigrants are so precious and delicate that the swedish government think that they'll be harmed if someone merely criticises them?
wow, that's pretty patronising for the swedish government to do, isn't it? immigrants aren't little babies, are they? well they're making it seem that way!
if their state wants to send the message that immigrants are strong and worthy of respect, they shouldn't make laws purporting them to be such a vulnerable class of people in comparison to the normal swedes or else they'll be thought of as such
(edited 10 years ago)
That'd be illiberal. But libel is another thing.
Original post by clh_hilary
That'd be illiberal. But libel is another thing.

Libel? Where does that come into anything?
Original post by Birkenhead
Libel? Where does that come into anything?

Well it the negative consequences were not true, then it would be libel.
If you can't criticise immigration, you can't criticise the government. What you have there is fascism.
I wish more people would read Inner Temple's comments before jumping on the fascism/illiberal bandwagon.
Reply 16
Original post by brap man 420
If you can't criticise immigration, you can't criticise the government. What you have there is fascism.

The EU is the 4th Reich absolutely ridiculous for Sweden to do this and I have no doubt the UK is following a similar path people are already getting arrested for facebook and twitter comments expressing their opinion, we are heading down a dangerous road
It's funny that so many posters are acting outraged at this, when in actual fact there is no convincing source that this is actually happening. Looks a bit desperate from those trying to propagate the idea of the authoritarian EU superstate dictatorship.
Original post by clh_hilary
Well it the negative consequences were not true, then it would be libel.

That wouldn't be libel, unless by some snowball's chance in hell this far-right source is accurate.
Original post by jamieTT
That you work in a oversensitive, politically correct place?

not really, she works in a tolerant environment...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending