The Student Room Group

what to choose for gcse?

hi there! i am year 9 and have already chosen what gcse's im going to do and i want to change one of my options. these are the options i have to chose from:
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

which one do u think i should chose that would be fairly easy (as im doing many long writing gcse's) but would also look good for universities? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CHOOSE EITHER ICT OR BUSINESS, THEY'RE THE MOST INTERESTING SUBJECTS. HOWEVER, MEDIA IS ALSO VERY PRACTICAL AND IS NOT BORING!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by nikjaxon
hi there! i am year 9 and have already chosen what gcse's im going to do and i want to change one of my options. these are the options i have to chose from:
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

which one do u think i should chose that would be fairly easy (as im doing many long writing gcse's) but would also look good for universities? :biggrin:

Universities don't really care about your GCSE subjects. There's more emphasis on the grades you get, not the subjects you do :smile: It's A-Levels that really matter.

So pick whatever you think you'd enjoy the most :smile:
Reply 3
To be honest, in ICT, you spend more time writing about what you've done than actually doing it. If that floats your boat then do it :smile:
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

Whichever you think you'll enjoy. So long as you have good grades and you do the 3 core subjects then you'll be fine - it's all about the grades at GCSE and not the subjects.
Reply 5
ICT is terribly boring, no idea about the rest. What option are you changing?
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

I would advise either music or business studies :smile:.
Reply 7
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

I'd take business studies purely because it's quite interesting and it' really easy too! But the difficulty of a subject is subjective so take what YOU think you'll enjoy, as interest tends to correlate with how well you do in a subject.

On that notes, definitely avoid ICT. It's the biggest f****** waste of time, i regret i ever took it. Don't listen to anyone who tells you it teaches you vital computer skills etc because it's all a sham. I literally don't use any of the skills i've learn't in practical. The theory is also a pain because there is so much to memorise that is pointless.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
P.e is good for medicine, music is the hardest (academic subject), don't do dida (waste of time), business (too easy), citizenship (not very important unless you want to be a adviser or Councillor). I would personally go for Music or business, dida is also very easy as it is 100% course-work
Reply 9
100% DO PE
I regret not taking it sooooooo much al my friends had so much fun doing it and it was really easy to do well in :frown:
I took history, geography, and art, so I NEVER got a break, but all my friends who did PE were like oh itts so relaxing to have it as a lesson
Reply 10
Original post by Alice_97
100% DO PE
I regret not taking it sooooooo much al my friends had so much fun doing it and it was really easy to do well in :frown:
I took history, geography, and art, so I NEVER got a break, but all my friends who did PE were like oh itts so relaxing to have it as a lesson

and it looks really good as well
Reply 11
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

At my school PE is pretty easy to get an A* in but i don't know about other schools, its also apparently very fun and a nice break if you've got loads of other academic subjects.
Reply 12
Original post by EastGuava
ICT is terribly boring, no idea about the rest. What option are you changing?
im going to change french because im currently finding it difficult and i will probably find it even harder when practicing for my gcse's
Reply 13
The only one I do is PE, the theory is super easy and if you can think of 4 sports that you're okay at (or 2 that you could coach/officiate), you'll be fine
im going to change french because im currently finding it difficult and i will probably find it even harder when practicing for my gcse's

:O French is way better than all of those options! ...even though that's subjective. In my experience you don't need to be fabulous in French to do well in the GCSE. It's pretty basic before GCSE... unless it's simply that you can't recall the vocabulary. Although if you are genuinely struggling now, you're right, maybe it's not for you.

As people have said, it doesn't really matter which one you pick as long as you do well in it. Choosing something that you think you would enjoy will do.
(edited 10 years ago)
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

business is is quite fun, but do the one you love the most
Reply 16
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

I recommend Music. It's fun and easy with very little writing.
Also majority of the time the exam is earlier during the season so it's over and done with, giving you time to focus on other subjects.
At GCSE it's more about the grade you get rather than the subject you do. (Music is an easy pass).:biggrin::smile::wink:
Music at my school is great and very practical, although the written exam is pretty difficult. It depends a lot on your exam board - if you do Edexcel then you have to learn lots of set pieces and write short essays about them in the exam which some people find boring, if you do OCR the focus is more on knowing the features of different styles, and for AQA I don't think you do either, just aural skills (which you get a lot of with all exam boards I should add). As a grade 5 musician I found the performance section quite easy to get full marks in, and if you have a basic level of music theory you are likely to find yourself at a big advantage.

As for your other subjects, I'm not studying any of them myself but I have three friends doing ICT and I know they would tell you to avoid it like the plague and that the amount of coursework and write-ups you have to do is insane. They're bright, hard-working students but are always having to miss PE and go in after school to do extra ICT just because there's so much work (although that does seem to be the case with many practical subjects such as art and drama).
I would also say don't pick your GCSEs based on what will look good for universities, they really won't care (as long as you've got the English maths and science), they only really care about your A level choices. Pick subjects you will enjoy.
Reply 19
-Music
-P.E
-Business studies
-Citizeship
-Media
-ICT

No one really looks at GCSE's anymore but media studies is very easy because the grade boundaries are really low.

Quick Reply

Latest