The Student Room Group

Access Course

Mods I posted this in the Mature Student forum but haven't had much joy, if it's not ok re-posted here I apologise.

Hi All,

I'm living in Ireland at the moment and am going to head to Britain to study an access course for entry to vet medicine.

I'm wondering where to head and do it, rang Liverpool and they said to do it in Ireland but I'm looking to head to a place where people have already gained admission from for Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol and Edinburgh or Glasgow. Any advice of where people have gotten in from is appreciated.

Good luck with the exams!!!

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey :smile:

I am just coming to the end of my access medicine course at Glasgow Kelvin College (previously Stow College) and have got a conditional offer from Glasgow uni :smile:

It's a good course for mature students who want to be doctors, vets, dentists etc. However, they do only take 3/4 students for vet progression and in general it is a hard course to get on to (took a few of us several attempts to get in). Also, out of the entire medicine class I was the only successful applicant to progress to uni. Although that doesn't sound good, I believe it was due to UKCAT scores being too low from the "Doctors" and not enough experience from the "Vets" - with lots of experience I think the chances of entry are good as Glasgow Uni is partnered with the course.

It is a very demanding course though, fast paced with regular and almost weekly exams, in which you must get over 80% to be considered for medicine/vet medicine. I also believe that no other universities will really recognise the course, despite a couple of them saying that they would. I say this because not one person got an interview outside Glasgow. Probably because like I said, the partnership is with Glasgow Uni.

I think that Nottingham does a pre-vet year which sounds good, perhaps better chances of entry. Also don't forget the new uni opened up at Surrey.

Hope that is helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Hannah951
Hey :smile:

I am just coming to the end of my access medicine course at Glasgow Kelvin College (previously Stow College) and have got a conditional offer from Glasgow uni :smile:

It's a good course for mature students who want to be doctors, vets, dentists etc. However, they do only take 3/4 students for vet progression and in general it is a hard course to get on to (took a few of us several attempts to get in). Also, out of the entire medicine class I was the only successful applicant to progress to uni. Although that doesn't sound good, I believe it was due to UKCAT scores being too low from the "Doctors" and not enough experience from the "Vets" - with lots of experience I think the chances of entry are good as Glasgow Uni is partnered with the course.

It is a very demanding course though, fast paced with regular and almost weekly exams, in which you must get over 80% to be considered for medicine/vet medicine. I also believe that no other universities will really recognise the course, despite a couple of them saying that they would. I say this because not one person got an interview outside Glasgow. Probably because like I said, the partnership is with Glasgow Uni.

I think that Nottingham does a pre-vet year which sounds good, perhaps better chances of entry. Also don't forget the new uni opened up at Surrey.

Hope that is helpful :smile:

Congratulations! Well done on getting entry to Glasgow. I was looking at the course and it seems, on paper, to be very good.

I would be tempted to do apply but if no-one got an interview outside of Glasgow it would really limit the chance of successful entry.

Did you still have to interview for Glasgow? I got an email from them the other day saying they usually only accept two mature students each year. Out of curiosity what are the other vet applicants going to do now?
Reply 3

Perhaps phone round and ask some universities - and write down the names of the people that u speak to because information can vary person to person i have noticed! We noticed that the college is not really keen to investigate this for you as as far as they are concerned Glasgow is the Uni they prepare you for. They certainly don't mind you applying to others but they certainly won't research it.

Yes, all three of us were granted an interview. Some said that this was a guaranteed interview, however if ur personal statement is terrible they apparently don't give you one.

I am not 100% sure what the other two are going to do, they have back up options of science degrees at university, however i personally think that that would be a lot of money. My back up plan if I didn't get in was going to be to spend the year gaining varied animal experience because they look for LOADS. The Access course is valid for two years so u will receive the UCAS buzzword from them for ur second attempt :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Hannah951

Perhaps phone round and ask some universities - and write down the names of the people that u speak to because information can vary person to person i have noticed! We noticed that the college is not really keen to investigate this for you as as far as they are concerned Glasgow is the Uni they prepare you for. They certainly don't mind you applying to others but they certainly won't research it.

Yes, all three of us were granted an interview. Some said that this was a guaranteed interview, however if ur personal statement is terrible they apparently don't give you one.

I am not 100% sure what the other two are going to do, they have back up options of science degrees at university, however i personally think that that would be a lot of money. My back up plan if I didn't get in was going to be to spend the year gaining varied animal experience because they look for LOADS. The Access course is valid for two years so u will receive the UCAS buzzword from them for ur second attempt :smile:

I was on to two Universities the other day. Both of them said pretty much the same thing, they have courses they know, i.e. local courses they've had input on, and that's where people have the best chance of getting in.

From your experience and from what they said it's my opinion that you really have to choose where you want to go and then choose the locally recommended college. I know people do get in to Vet. Sc. from access courses considerable distances away but I think you stand a better chance of entry from a local course.

:adore:Well you haven't got that problem so lucky you.:wink:

Thanks for the help.
Reply 5
Original post by RocknRolla
I was on to two Universities the other day. Both of them said pretty much the same thing, they have courses they know, i.e. local courses they've had input on, and that's where people have the best chance of getting in.

From your experience and from what they said it's my opinion that you really have to choose where you want to go and then choose the locally recommended college. I know people do get in to Vet. Sc. from access courses considerable distances away but I think you stand a better chance of entry from a local course.

:adore:Well you haven't got that problem so lucky you.:wink:

Thanks for the help.

Yeah I think ur absolutely right. I already live in Glasgow and so phoned Glasgow uni to ask advice and they put me in contact with the stow college access course.

Whatever happens, best of luck :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks Hannah

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending