The Student Room Group

Setting the gas?

Hi.
I am just looking for some advice really. I keep hearing people talking about setting the gas before they find the bite and its confusing me.
I have been taught by my instructor to find the bite first and then as I release the parking brake(whilst the clutch is still at bite) add gas and slowly release the clutch. I find this method fine and only stall occasionally, but I am just wondering how others were/ are taught. By the way, the car is petrol.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I'm told to do it the same way as you, I think it's good too, especially for hill starts.
Reply 2
The car I'm learning in is petrol too and I was taught to set the gas before you find the biting point. From what my instructor has told me, you risk stalling the car if you aren't giving it enough gas (I've been guilty of this once) :colondollar:

Maybe it's worth bringing this up with your instructor? I think when I was first learning I was taught the same way as you to get me familiar with the biting point of the vehicle and after becoming familiar with that I was expected to set the gas beforehand.

Had a quick check in my DSA guide to driving and it mentions how you should press the accelerator further than normal and then begin to raise the clutch to the biting point for hill starts. I'd worry about rolling back or stalling on a hill if I hadn't set the gas first (all my hill starts always seem to be fairly steep though).
Reply 3
Original post by matthew59603
I have been taught by my instructor to find the bite first and then as I release the parking brake(whilst the clutch is still at bite) add gas and slowly release the clutch.
Oh dear.

I ... only stall occasionally, ... the car is petrol.
It's all very well only stalling occasionally, but if that occasion is in the middle of a busy traffic light junction after the lights have changed, then you're in trouble.

Trust me, you should be setting the gas. Not revving the tappits out of the engine, but just giving it (and yourself) that reassurance that you're not going to stall.
Reply 4
Original post by Stacks
The car I'm learning in is petrol too and I was taught to set the gas before you find the biting point. From what my instructor has told me, you risk stalling the car if you aren't giving it enough gas (I've been guilty of this once) :colondollar:

Maybe it's worth bringing this up with your instructor? I think when I was first learning I was taught the same way as you to get me familiar with the biting point of the vehicle and after becoming familiar with that I was expected to set the gas beforehand.

Had a quick check in my DSA guide to driving and it mentions how you should press the accelerator further than normal and then begin to raise the clutch to the biting point for hill starts. I'd worry about rolling back or stalling on a hill if I hadn't set the gas first (all my hill starts always seem to be fairly steep though).

Oops, sorry I thought u were describing this. This is what I do
If you apply some gas beforehand then there is virtually no chance of stalling (unless you lift the clutch up too quickly).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending