The Student Room Group

Medic friends

just found this on an advice for medical students

Make friends. You will need them. You will moan with them, exchange advice with them, work with them. Some of them may be future colleagues. All of them will be the person who understands you the most for the next few years. Do not be that selfish person who only thinks about themselves, and does things purely for their own gain (and you will, alas, meet such people). Watch somebody’s back, because your own needs to be watched as well. You are not infallible, and you do not need to do this alone.

i was once told that you do not need to forge friendships with medics as they will happen naturally?
i don't want to end up isolated from my halls mates because i tried so hard to be friends with medics but i dont want to be out the medic click eiher? Any advice in general don't just want to end up with only knowing people from my flat would like to know people from other flats as well the more the merrier :smile:
Reply 1
You don't need to go to uni with a strategy! Be open to making friends with anyone, whether on your course or not. In later years you will naturally tend to spend more time with medics as other courses are shorter so your other friends may well have left, but early on I think it's good to have a mixture of friends. Medics at some unis have a reputation for being cliquey and arrogant, which probably isn't true, but if you make friends with non-medics you can help challenge that stereotype.

My closest friends are a mixture of medics and non-medics, though admittedly they are two mostly distinct groups. Both are useful to have around.
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
You don't need to go to uni with a strategy! Be open to making friends with anyone, whether on your course or not. In later years you will naturally tend to spend more time with medics as other courses are shorter so your other friends may well have left, but early on I think it's good to have a mixture of friends. Medics at some unis have a reputation for being cliquey and arrogant, which probably isn't true, but if you make friends with non-medics you can help challenge that stereotype.

My closest friends are a mixture of medics and non-medics, though admittedly they are two mostly distinct groups. Both are useful to have around.

Thanks i think i just paniced and needed someone to tell me it will happen naturally. I will go open minded and try and get to know as many people at possible and just make friends with the people i enjoy being around regardless :smile: thankyou thats very reassurring!!!! Hope you are enjoying medic life

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Its pretty unavoidable in clinical years, there will be nobody else left!
Original post by 345rty
Its pretty unavoidable in clinical years, there will be nobody else left!

^^ This :rolleyes:
Original post by hl7495
just found this on an advice for medical students

Make friends. You will need them. You will moan with them, exchange advice with them, work with them. Some of them may be future colleagues. All of them will be the person who understands you the most for the next few years. Do not be that selfish person who only thinks about themselves, and does things purely for their own gain (and you will, alas, meet such people). Watch somebody’s back, because your own needs to be watched as well. You are not infallible, and you do not need to do this alone.

i was once told that you do not need to forge friendships with medics as they will happen naturally?
i don't want to end up isolated from my halls mates because i tried so hard to be friends with medics but i dont want to be out the medic click eiher? Any advice in general don't just want to end up with only knowing people from my flat would like to know people from other flats as well the more the merrier :smile:

Some years are more 'cliquey' than others I have found. You can't predict with any accuracy what the social situation will be like before you start.

You will be at university for at least five years and there will be plenty of opportunity to make new (and indeed drift away from existing) friends during that time :smile:
I'm afraid friendship is banned at medical school :p:

This is why there are so many medics on TSR, they crave the forbidden social contact.
Depends on the sort of person you are. I know most of medics at mine tend to spend most of their time with Medics, non medics being rare in their groups.

Personally I tend to prefer the company of non medics (I made new friends last year when my other non-medic friends started to get jobs and have less free time :tongue:) because then it doesn't become 'medicine' the entire time. Although it does end up reminding you how different doctors are from normal people. Oh, and I get to feel really old working with people 5 years younger than me...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending