The Student Room Group

Funniest/weirdest experiences living in halls?

As a potential fresher at the start of September '14, I read all about accommodation do's and don'ts of my firm and insurance choice and it kind of got me scared but excited about the prospect of having to live with new people, especially as a (relatively) socially awkward person. So I thought I'd make a thread as a place where memorable experiences of living in halls can ermm... come together. Also, I could do with a laugh as a break from all this revision :smile:
Apologies if there is another thread like this that I've missed :tongue:
Reply 1
well I heard about some people who decided to have paddling pool in there kitchen witch broke when it was full of water and there was one time a swan got into someone's room.
Reply 2
I've got plenty from freshers.

People sliding down the block stairs on mattresses.
4 firetrucks showing up and 3 blocks having to be evacuated because someone fell asleep whilst cooking and the flat went up in flames.
Looking out my window into the courtyard to see 6 lads running around naked seeing how long they can last before the caretaker kicks them out.
Me thinking the smoke alarm had gone off so going to the fire assembly point and just standing there by myself until i realized it hadn't.
Just generally funny things my flat-mates have done when going home from nights out drunk, such as bringing back stop signs which sat in our lounge for months.

Personal favorite would have to be after a big night out a couple of friends came back to ours, us forgetting we had a flat inspection at 11am the next day. The inspectors walking in to find 7 people sprawled across the sofa/floor in the lounge and the sheer shock on both their and the inspectors face when they walked in and turned the light on. Needless to say we failed the inspection.
Original post by JG1233
Personal favorite would have to be after a big night out a couple of friends came back to ours, us forgetting we had a flat inspection at 11am the next day. The inspectors walking in to find 7 people sprawled across the sofa/floor in the lounge and the sheer shock on both their and the inspectors face when they walked in and turned the light on. Needless to say we failed the inspection.

Ahh reminds me of when I used to go on weekends away with my orchestra and there would be room inspections. So there would be a competition between all the dorms to see who could get the lowest score haha... good times :moon:
i left my keys at home so had to leave my door unlocked for a week til i could get my keys back and my flatmates decided to put post it notes everywhere all over my desk my window and shower and toilet. kinda annoying but My window was famous everyone knew where i lived :biggrin: (i went to a small uni) and i got free post it notes to use for revision.
Reply 5
There's a student on our floor who always has her boyfriend round. We don't know anything about them, apart from that they have really goosebump-inducing arguments about once a month. Every time we call the porters over to intervene, because it is really, really scary. And yet it continues to happen. Erk.

The same thing in first year, a Chinese student with a live-in boyfriend. Never said a proper sentence to us, but at 3am they would have huge full-on screaming fights, running up and down the corridor, shouting wildly. She would lock him out of her room and he would bang on it for ages until she let him in. Apparently they had viciously loud sex too, but thankfully I was opposite and not next door, as my friend was.
Original post by awe
There's a student on our floor who always has her boyfriend round. We don't know anything about them, apart from that they have really goosebump-inducing arguments about once a month. Every time we call the porters over to intervene, because it is really, really scary. And yet it continues to happen. Erk.

The same thing in first year, a Chinese student with a live-in boyfriend. Never said a proper sentence to us, but at 3am they would have huge full-on screaming fights, running up and down the corridor, shouting wildly. She would lock him out of her room and he would bang on it for ages until she let him in. Apparently they had viciously loud sex too, but thankfully I was opposite and not next door, as my friend was.

Oh god :/ That sounds horrible, having to live with all that noise, especially at 3am! Didn't anyone ever tell them to shut up?
Reply 7
Original post by RoseBrilliante
Oh god :/ That sounds horrible, having to live with all that noise, especially at 3am! Didn't anyone ever tell them to shut up?

All the time! You'll learn fairly soon that most people, particularly when there's a language barrier as well, just choose to conveniently 'forget' that you asked them to shut up just five minutes ago. And in the case of the Indian guys in my flat this year that enjoy a 4am party in exam season, sometimes they just don't listen at all and just laugh in your face instead. :|

In second year I also lived with 'strangers' off-campus, when we met to see if we were compatible I thought it would be great. It wasn't. The couple had terrible arguments as well, some really horrible things would be said to each other. I just couldn't imagine even saying half of that to my partner. :s-smilie: And the girl would leave her dirty laundry in the bathroom for days after removing it there for a shower, knickers 'facing up' and all. And one of the guys would get really drunk and piss all over the toilet seat and leave it there.

Speaking of toilets (this is great dissertation procrastination) - one evening I went to the bathroom and there was **** on the seat. It was fairly common to find skids in there, but this was on the actual seat. I sent a message out to the two guys saying 'don't know whose that is but clean it up now! (please)' and they both replied saying they had no idea who had made the mess. Two minutes later someone came up the stairs to the bathroom, which was on second floor along with my room, and then went back down again. They had cleaned it, and because one lived on first floor and one on third, I knew exactly who it was. Ughhghg. That was a terrible year haha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by RoseBrilliante
As a potential fresher at the start of September '14, I read all about accommodation do's and don'ts of my firm and insurance choice and it kind of got me scared but excited about the prospect of having to live with new people, especially as a (relatively) socially awkward person. So I thought I'd make a thread as a place where memorable experiences of living in halls can ermm... come together. Also, I could do with a laugh as a break from all this revision :smile:
Apologies if there is another thread like this that I've missed :tongue:

Don't be scared, you'll hear the odd horror story, but living in halls has been the most fun I've had. I live with some crazy people, endless pranking and madness, but it's great:tongue:

Original post by JG1233
People sliding down the block stairs on mattresses.

Always wanted to do that! Definitely doing it before I move out of halls :lol:
We had a flat in the corner of the halls, and revealing some of our antics on here would make it fairly obvious who I am, but a few of my friends have guessed already. The one I remember best is me and the girls decorating the flat for Christmas and making paper snowflakes to stick on the window. We all went off and minded our own business, and during that time the boys had taken down the snowflakes and replaced it with a new snowflake, which was rather more...um, phallic, than the snowflakes we'd made. It stayed there for a fair while. I was mostly impressed they'd gone to the effort of making it in the style of a snowflake. :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't live in a dorm but i regularly go to my friends

There was this one time i visited my mates dorm @ brunel we were leaving to see a film but i left something in his room. So i walked back and tried to open his room with his card but the bloody thing wasn't opening i waved it around and this girl was staring at me i met her once before ( she was kinda wierd ) but she came over and tried to help me and it opened and she started laughing then i was trying to find my oyster card and she sat on the bed and started bouncing and then turned off the light and pulled me towards her ... Then i stopped her lol coz i really wanted to watch hunger games :X

Need to visit soon :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
I got stuck in a small lift with 5 other people for 3 hours on the first night. Was at 1am so we had to wait for the engineer to come. Was very drunk, and the reason I got in the lift was because I was dying for a pee (room was on 10th floor) so wasnt fun! And the only drink on offer was white wine. Was pretty close to peeing into the wine glass near the end, but I have peed into a plastic bottle before and was suprised how much came out, almost filled a 500ml bottle. So I didnt fancy peeing into a 200ml wine glass infront of 5 people I barely knew. When we got rescued, I climbed out of the lift shaft, and then ran up 10 flights of stairs to my room, and had the longest and greatest pee of my life so far!
Original post by awe
All the time! You'll learn fairly soon that most people, particularly when there's a language barrier as well, just choose to conveniently 'forget' that you asked them to shut up just five minutes ago. And in the case of the Indian guys in my flat this year that enjoy a 4am party in exam season, sometimes they just don't listen at all and just laugh in your face instead. :|

In second year I also lived with 'strangers' off-campus, when we met to see if we were compatible I thought it would be great. It wasn't. The couple had terrible arguments as well, some really horrible things would be said to each other. I just couldn't imagine even saying half of that to my partner. :s-smilie: And the girl would leave her dirty laundry in the bathroom for days after removing it there for a shower, knickers 'facing up' and all. And one of the guys would get really drunk and piss all over the toilet seat and leave it there.

Speaking of toilets (this is great dissertation procrastination) - one evening I went to the bathroom and there was **** on the seat. It was fairly common to find skids in there, but this was on the actual seat. I sent a message out to the two guys saying 'don't know whose that is but clean it up now! (please)' and they both replied saying they had no idea who had made the mess. Two minutes later someone came up the stairs to the bathroom, which was on second floor along with my room, and then went back down again. They had cleaned it, and because one lived on first floor and one on third, I knew exactly who it was. Ughhghg. That was a terrible year haha.

Of course, been in that situation before, nart fun :s-smilie:

And :puke:
On the toilet seat?? It takes great skill to get it on the toilet seat by accident :/

Original post by harreeeee
I got stuck in a small lift with 5 other people for 3 hours on the first night. Was at 1am so we had to wait for the engineer to come. Was very drunk, and the reason I got in the lift was because I was dying for a pee (room was on 10th floor) so wasnt fun! And the only drink on offer was white wine. Was pretty close to peeing into the wine glass near the end, but I have peed into a plastic bottle before and was suprised how much came out, almost filled a 500ml bottle. So I didnt fancy peeing into a 200ml wine glass infront of 5 people I barely knew. When we got rescued, I climbed out of the lift shaft, and then ran up 10 flights of stairs to my room, and had the longest and greatest pee of my life so far!

I know that feel bro :mmm:
Flatmate got so drunk he didn't get into the club. Few hours later when walking back to accommodation I get stopped by security and they tell me they have had to put him to sleep (don't know how he got back I was sure he was going to fall asleep on the street or something he was in such a state last we saw him) security ask me to nip in his room and check on him. I go into his room and he is asleep completely naked with no bed cover or anything, poo stains on his bed sheets, all over the toilet seat and floor with remains if ripped up toilet roll in the hallway on the floor. He was puking all over the staircase prior to that. When he was lying in bed naked he was so drunk he couldn't hear us even though we were talking right in front of him and we all had a laugh and got our picture taken with him naked on the bed passed out. It was funny as ****. He lost his phone (apparently it cost him £500 luckily someone handed it in the next day) he left for home because his mum was worried and eventually dropped out of uni a few weeks later.

Another one was when I attempted to shove a pile of my tissues from you know what in the toilet to get rid of them but because they were so dried up they clogged the toilet and a few hours later and the water level rose literally to the top it almost spilled out, the worst part was it was brown ****ty water nearly tipping out the bowl. I pretended it wasn't me and one of my flatmates posted a note on the door saying 'I'm not showering next to that someone clean it up' and then another note saying '(Flatmate's name who **** his pants etc in the story above) has come back for vengeance. (this was after he had already dropped out of uni) Hilarious as ****.

Another one was when we had to call emergency services because someone in our flat drank so much he passed out and didn't look so good, he was passed out in the toilet and he had to be dragged away to hospital i think. Not really funny and i wasn't really part of it that night but i'm sure some others probably thought it was funny because they're idiots

Another time my flatmates brought some traffic signs and they were sitting in our halls for a weeks before we get a visit from security giving us all a letter telling us to give the council back their property or face being fined and whatnot.
(edited 9 years ago)
Printing off dozens of Ainsley Harriott memes and sticking them in my flatmates wardrobe, kitchen cupboards etc etc
Reply 15
Original post by Ruffiio
Flatmate got so drunk he didn't get into the club. Few hours later when walking back to accommodation I get stopped by security and they tell me they have had to put him to sleep (don't know how he got back I was sure he was going to fall asleep on the street or something he was in such a state last we saw him) security ask me to nip in his room and check on him. I go into his room and he is asleep completely naked with no bed cover or anything, poo stains on his bed sheets, all over the toilet seat and floor with remains if ripped up toilet roll in the hallway on the floor. He was puking all over the staircase prior to that. When he was lying in bed naked he was so drunk he couldn't hear us even though we were talking right in front of him and we all had a laugh and got our picture taken with him naked on the bed passed out. It was funny as ****. He lost his phone (apparently it cost him £500 luckily someone handed it in the next day) he left for home because his mum was worried and eventually dropped out of uni a few weeks later.

Another one was when I attempted to shove a pile of my tissues from you know what in the toilet to get rid of them but because they were so dried up they clogged the toilet and a few hours later and the water level rose literally to the top it almost spilled out, the worst part was it was brown ****ty water nearly tipping out the bowl. I pretended it wasn't me and one of my flatmates posted a note on the door saying 'I'm not showering next to that someone clean it up' and then another note saying '(Flatmate's name who **** his pants etc in the story above) has come back for vengeance. (this was after he had already dropped out of uni) Hilarious as ****.

Another one was when we had to call emergency services because someone in our flat drank so much he passed out and didn't look so good, he was passed out in the toilet and he had to be dragged away to hospital i think. Not really funny and i wasn't really part of it that night but i'm sure some others probably thought it was funny because they're idiots

Another time my flatmates brought some traffic signs and they were sitting in our halls for a weeks before we get a visit from security giving us all a letter telling us to give the council back their property or face being fined and whatnot.

Woahh! Living in halls seems pretty fun but rowdy at the same time haha but im guessing you kinda make friends for life?
I just remembered another one, the same guy who pooped his pants and all that I was talking about, on a different night he came home after a night out and said he had sex with some girl and he said he think the condom split during it and he was really panicking whether he made her pregnant, he was in the hall in the early morning having a go at himself like 'aww no how could this happen' and all this stuff. So some of my flatmates came out of their room and he told them what had happened and they started pissing themselves laughing, i was just lying in bed listening to it all and it was f'in hilarious ahaahhahahha he was genuinely scared and everything.
Reply 17
Original post by Ruffiio
I just remembered another one, the same guy who pooped his pants and all that I was talking about, on a different night he came home after a night out and said he had sex with some girl and he said he think the condom split during it and he was really panicking whether he made her pregnant, he was in the hall in the early morning having a go at himself like 'aww no how could this happen' and all this stuff. So some of my flatmates came out of their room and he told them what had happened and they started pissing themselves laughing, i was just lying in bed listening to it all and it was f'in hilarious ahaahhahahha he was genuinely scared and everything.

Whattt?? That seems pretty extensive haha wish I had the chance to live in halls

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did a lot of stupid stuff in halls. All funny! Though I did end up with two warnings which are apparently on my file until I leave.

Thing is, three of us used to come in from nights out and stay up all morning. Think one of the best times was when my flatmate jumped through our kitchen table and it broke. Snapped one of the metal legs off. Security came up, we all hid very quickly. They said they'd call the police because of "criminal damage" but instead the halls security marched up and gave us an ear full at 6 in the morning! They said they'd check at 10 the next day (four hours later) to see if it had been cleaned. I spent a good two hours cleaning it on my own; my other two flatmates literally passed out. We were all very drunk.

Anyway, the three of us had a disiplinary (yet again) the following week. We all got letters under our door. Literally, we broke about 15 rules. Anyway, we walked in to the hearing and the two on the panel said "oh, we've met you three before!".

Halls is brilliant; I miss it. Anybody that goes will have a great time.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by harreeeee
dam man i am waking up stars next time i am in halls
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest