The Student Room Group

Can I self-teach Biology A-level?

Hi,
Just wondering if It is possible to self teach A level Biology?
I have looked at the websites that allow you to do it through them but I don't want to pay £400 for something that I am basically going to be teaching myself anyway. I have a lot of friends that have degrees in biology that are willing to help me.
If so, who do I need to contact/where do I need to start?
Thanks! :smile:
Reply 1
Yes definitely, I've basically done it myself as my teachers are useless!
Just buy the text books, print the specifications off and work through it!
Then when you're satisfied you know it well enough do past papers, simple! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by jadel94
Hi,
I have looked at the websites that allow you to do it through them but I don't want to pay £400 for something that I am basically going to be teaching myself anyway. I have a lot of friends that have degrees in biology that are willing to help me.

What board did you want to take it under? I'm sure you could if you buy the recommended text books and a couple of revision guides :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by JamesMartinez
Yes definitely, I've basically done it myself as my teachers are useless!
Just buy the text books, print the specifications off and work through it!
Then when you're satisfied you know it well enough do past papers, simple! :smile:

I did exactly this, with the help of my teachers I was targeting for a D, however I managed to get an A at as-level by teaching myself, it's straightforward when your following the specification and have a range of books and revision guides, oh and the internet!
Would I be able to enter myself for the exams too?
I believe I did it through AQA.. I'm just not sure about the practical experiment.. I guess I would need to be with someone to be able to do that??
Thanks for your help!
Reply 5
Original post by jadel94
Would I be able to enter myself for the exams too?
I believe I did it through AQA.. I'm just not sure about the practical experiment.. I guess I would need to be with someone to be able to do that??
Thanks for your help!

Private exam centre maybe? I'm not 100% sure sorry!
Reply 6
If your good enough yes.
Reply 7
Yeah you definitely can! This year our biology teachers have been almost useless, so I've pretty much been learning the content myself through the book.

Although, having a teacher is useful when you're stuck, but I guess TSR could fill that gap for you :smile:
Yep, I would say so. With a couple of text books, past papers and the internet, it should definitely be possible. Bio is mainly about rote-memorisation and exam technique.
Original post by jadel94
Hi,

Hi!

If you feel confident about self-teaching A-level Biology, do it! Make sure that you get all the necessary text books (those specific to your exam board) and revision guides etc. Also, print off some past papers for yourself! If you start to struggle during the course, there are always tutors available and of course TSR!

Contact the exam board that you are thinking of studying the subject under. Ask for their advice on how to go about getting started etc. As far as I'm aware you will need to organise sitting the exams in Centres as an external student.

In short, go ahead and self-teach A-level Biology. It is a brilliant subject, but it is quite demanding, though.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by jadel94
Hi,

Going to be a blunt as possible, YES! Pick an exam board, get the specification (list of everything you need to know, can be found on the exam board website) and just watch youtube videos with your text book and do exam practice, sorted.
Reply 11
Original post by jadel94
Hi,

Yes you can (as every one said). The thing is you need to think positive and feel positive towards you subject.,.........
Yes certainly, I taught myself AS level and the first portion of A2 :smile: It takes a lot of work, but is more than doable :biggrin: Only thing you might struggle with is the ISA's which are/ were vile.

I did AQA :smile:
Original post by Angry cucumber
Yes certainly, I taught myself AS level and the first portion of A2 :smile: It takes a lot of work, but is more than doable :biggrin: Only thing you might struggle with is the ISA's which are/ were vile.

I did AQA :smile:

How did you enter yourself for the exams and the ISA? THanks for your reply it was helpful :smile::smile:
Original post by jadel94
How did you enter yourself for the exams and the ISA? THanks for your reply it was helpful :smile::smile:

I was still enrolled in school, so I entered my exams through them. I wasn't in lessons due to being ill and once post 16, I no longer qualified for mentoring, hence I was self taught. :smile:
How did you guys manage to get through the practical exams for Biology in A Level?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending