The Student Room Group

Why do women prefer ripped men to other body types?

Seems like fat men, skinny men and skinny-fat men are human beings with emotions as well; and yet there are women out there callously fat-shaming men who perhaps don't have the genetics to do so well in the gym.

And to boot; why do ripped men seem to bang women so easily? I thought personality was what mattered? Seems as though women make no efforts to hide their superficiality in other areas, but they do with this particular one. Why can't they just be open about their preferences instead of covering their nature in a shroud of mystique and constructing, around their very soul, a labyrinth of smoke and mirrors?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by James Gee
Seems like fat men, skinny men and skinny-fat men are human beings with emotions as well; and yet there are women out there callously fat-shaming men who perhaps don't have the genetics to do so well in the gym.

And to boot; why do ripped men seem to bang women so easily? I thought personality was what mattered? Seems as though women make no efforts to hide their superficiality in other areas, but they do with this particular one. Why can't they just be open about their preferences instead of covering their nature in a shroud of mystique and constructing, around their very soul, a labyrinth of smoke and mirrors?

Why do men prefer skinny girls with big boobs and a big ass?
U jelly brah?

Though I do notice that women seem to have less of a variety in their likes than men do to women. In that a women with any body type, from deathly thin to morbidly obese, will always have a significant number of men who will find them appealing for what ever reason. Where as I don't like an obese male say, has as much luck.

But tbh it's usually either ripped guy or lean guy, which makes sense, some girls like a lot of muscle, some prefer just lean, but generally they're the two options.

To be honest I think the main reason these guys that are ripped are more 'successful' with girls is that they are more confident. Also, its pretty obvious that if everything else was equal then the guy with the best body would 'win' :tongue: (I have an average body btw)

I see your point that more than just body should be taken into account, i agree. I dont think there are many girls about who choose simply on body and they aren't worth pursuing anyway :tongue:
As we're wildly generalising...

I'd say in general they don't. For a one night stand, or a casual fling, then yes - physical looks will trump everything else - but that's the same for men too.

For a long-term relationship, I don't think being 'ripped' comes into the equation much at all, especially as girls get older. People are often insecure if someone is too attractive, because they fear that they will be unfaithful, and might prefer someone slightly less 'perfect' to make a family with. Also, for a relationship far more factors come into account than appearance, especially for women, so its less of a draw in the first place.
Muscles are sexy, I don't know what else to tell you :dontknow:
Reply 6
Well as a woman (well, young lady, but who cares) that's actually not the case.
It really depends on the girl. A lot of girls I know prefer skinnier guys.
I find that the more educated girls are less picky... or rather they like guys with a simialr level of understanding as them.
But, I'm generalising here from what I've observed.
Frankly I don't care as long as they're nice, can take care of themselves and are reasonably smart, knowledgeable and well read. (the whole Mr. Muscle thing does't appeal to me at all. I find it rather scary and intimidating.)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Glenis.k
Well as a woman (well, young lady, but who cares) that's actually not the case.
It really depends on the girl. A lot of girls I know prefer skinnier guys.
I find that the more educated girls are less picky... or rather they like guys with a simialr level of understanding as them.
But, I'm generalising here from what I've observed.
Frankly I don't care as long as they're nice, can take care of themselves and are reasonably smart, knowledgeable and well read. (the whole Mr. Muscle thing does't appeal to me at all. I find it rather scary and intimidating.)

Women are generally more attracted to those who they consider intimidating.
Reply 8
Original post by hihoho
Women are generally more attracted to those who they consider intimidating.

Really??:eek: I must've been living under a rock since the turn of the century.
can you explain this statement because I don't know any such women.
If you're intimidated by a guy it's harder for you to engage in simple conversations.
As much as we'd all love it to be (me included) relationships aren't all about sex and sexual attractions!
(edited 9 years ago)
Who said that? Certainly not all women do. A lot of women have a thing for skinny guys ^_^ Look at David Tennant, for instance, there's a lot of girls who go crazy over him and he's not ripped :nah:
Reply 10
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Muscles are sexy, I don't know what else to tell you :dontknow:

omg
Reply 11
Original post by Glenis.k
Really??:eek: I must've been living under a rock since the turn of the century.
can you explain this statement because I don't know any such women.
If you're intimidated by a guy it's harder for you to engage in simple conversations.
As much as we'd all love it to be (me included) relationships aren't all about sex and sexual attractions!

Yes there are.
I gave a bro hug to one of my mates and the dude is ripped as hell. The guy's physique felt was rock solid so I can understand why women would like that in a man. Lest we forget, women do like masculine features on a man.
Reply 13
For the same reason that guys prefer skinny women with impossibly large boobs!
Doesn't mean that that's what we settle for in the end though, male or female. :wink:
I'm not into ripped guys. I don't really like fat either, I prefer just regular - ya know not fat or toned, a bit of something to hold onto, just like what most people have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Yasmin25
I'm not into ripped guys. I don't really like fat either, I prefer just regular - ya know not fat or toned, a bit of something to hold onto, just like what most people have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

why lie
I don't want someone too fat but not too skinny or ripped either. Just an average person will do. I find "the v" disgusting!

Posted from TSR Mobile
why lie

I'm not lying. I don't find ripped guys attractive tbh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
i like skinny guys the whole "ripped" thing is a real turn off
Original post by alea iacta est
Who said that? Certainly not all women do. A lot of women have a thing for skinny guys ^_^ Look at David Tennant, for instance, there's a lot of girls who go crazy over him and he's not ripped :nah:

Yes but bear in mind that women tend to be attracted to men with status/fame. If they weren't famous, Benedict Cumberbatch (great actor) and Matt Smith wouldn't even get a second glace on the street. Yet, after becoming famous, suddenly become sexgods to women.

Heck, girls would be throwing themselves at Jabba the Hutt if he ever became the next Doctor :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest