The Student Room Group

Unlucky with girls HELP

Hi all. I just turned 19 in March and up until now I have not had a girlfriend. Recently whilst in college I met a really nice girl and took her out twice however I learnt on our second outing that she has a boyfriend and as a result I am now in the friend zone. Its no bad thing as she is a really nice person to have as a friend but I have to respect the fact she has a boyfriend. Disappointing for me but oh well.

Anyway back to the main subject. The girls I look for have to be intelligent, honest and good looking but at my age it just feels like a real challenge to find one with all three and when you do often they are already in a relationship. No surprises here.

Another problem is that I hang around in places where mostly lads go such as windsurfing club and motorcycle club and these are my hobbies. I dont really drink or go out much and this does not really help my case but I am not a drinking and partying kind of person. I also work quite a bit so only have one day off during the whole week so this is also a limitation for me.

So what about dating sites. I have not tried any as of yet but a 19 year old on a dating site? Are there some for people my age?

Menor95
Excuses and whining aren't attractive. There are attractive, intelligent nice girls around all over the place, you just need the balls to approach them and start talking. Dating sites are alright, but fewer people use them at 17/18/19 than a little older. I think you're just using that as an excuse to avoid escalating a relationship.
Reply 2
Original post by Double Agent
Excuses and whining aren't attractive. There are attractive, intelligent nice girls around all over the place, you just need the balls to approach them and start talking. Dating sites are alright, but fewer people use them at 17/18/19 than a little older. I think you're just using that as an excuse to avoid escalating a relationship.

I cant escalate a relationship when she has a boyfriend can I.
Reply 3
Hi, what's the rush? tbh you're only 19 and you may feel like you are missing out but in real honesty relationships are very complex. I think it's great that you're not the partying and drinking kind of guy and I know it sounds really cliché but you really can't make things happen. Try and fulfil other dreams in your life and I promise that while you're busy with that stuff you will find someone that meets your "criteria" and you will be so grateful for it not working out with someone else. Btw feel free to ignore me because seriously I am no expert in these kind of things but through observation we usually get what we want when we least expect it- life's great like that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ami285
Hi, what's the rush? tbh you're only 19 and you may feel like you are missing out but in real honesty relationships are very complex. I think it's great that you're not the partying and drinking kind of guy and I know it sounds really cliché but you really can't make things happen. Try and fulfil other dreams in your life and I promise that while you're busy with that stuff you will find someone that meets your "criteria" and you will be so grateful for it not working out with someone else. Btw feel free to ignore me because seriously I am no expert in these kind of things but through observation we usually get what we want when we least expect it- life's great like that.

I guess eventually I will find someone I like. Im going to start uni in September so hopefully I will have better luck then I did in college.
Reply 5
Original post by menor95
I guess eventually I will find someone I like. Im going to start uni in September so hopefully I will have better luck then I did in college.

Don't get your hopes up too much
Reply 6
Original post by menor95

Is there a particular reason that you seem to really want to date? I'm sure you will find someone at uni with the same interests as you. At uni people are usually much more mature and understanding of others. Seriously, there is absolutely nothing wrong with being single. Especially at 19, go out , have fun and find out more about yourself before getting into a relationship as people are confusing and relationships are even more confusing.:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by menor95
Hi all. I just turned 19 in March and up until now I have not had a girlfriend. Recently whilst in college I met a really nice girl and took her out twice however I learnt on our second outing that she has a boyfriend and as a result I am now in the friend zone. Its no bad thing as she is a really nice person to have as a friend but I have to respect the fact she has a boyfriend. Disappointing for me but oh well.

Anyway back to the main subject. The girls I look for have to be intelligent, honest and good looking but at my age it just feels like a real challenge to find one with all three and when you do often they are already in a relationship. No surprises here.

Another problem is that I hang around in places where mostly lads go such as windsurfing club and motorcycle club and these are my hobbies. I dont really drink or go out much and this does not really help my case but I am not a drinking and partying kind of person. I also work quite a bit so only have one day off during the whole week so this is also a limitation for me.

So what about dating sites. I have not tried any as of yet but a 19 year old on a dating site? Are there some for people my age?

Menor95

It's good that you have hobbies but you need to hang around in places where there are girls so you can interact with them.

Forget about dating sites, I think they're useless. That's my opinion.

Original post by menor95

It might happen, it might not. You'll have to wait and see. But you have more chances at university because there will be more students than college and most will be living away from home for the first time. Also women tend to like guys who are older in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Latest