The Student Room Group

Do you think I am transgender?

For a while now, I've been quite confused about my gender. I am male but have always wanted to be a girl and I wish I had been born female not male.

However, I'm not sure I would say I am a girl. I don't feel like I am, but I don't actively feel like I'm a boy either. I know I am quite feminine but I don't know what I would say my gender is. I would say I'm a man if I have to choose, but that's only really because I am biologically male. So I'm a bit confused there!

I am pretty feminine, but still, I would not want to go through surgery and hormone treatment and stuff. I would like to be a girl, but I don't feel that I would actually be a girl if I went through that.

Any thoughts? I really don't know what to think of myself :frown:

edit: Oops was meant to be anonymous. Oh well.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If you don't know yourself, I cant see anyone on here having the answer. You're young, there isn't a need to label yourself too strongly at the moment. You feel the way you do and thats fine.
You are who you are and that's all that matters really :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Tbh, imo you sound a bit gender fluid, idrk though
Reply 4
Just be who you want be, you don't need to fit a category.
Reply 5
Hi OP!

There's a thread for people who don't identify as "gender-normal" here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1883135&page=43&p=47134592&highlight=trans#post47134592 and you don't have to be sure of your gender identity to join the chat, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer any questions you might have.
Reply 6
Original post by Treeroy
For a while now, I've been quite confused about my gender. I am male but have always wanted to be a girl and I wish I had been born female not male.

However, I'm not sure I would say I am a girl. I don't feel like I am, but I don't actively feel like I'm a boy either. I know I am quite feminine but I don't know what I would say my gender is. I would say I'm a man if I have to choose, but that's only really because I am biologically male. So I'm a bit confused there!

I am pretty feminine, but still, I would not want to go through surgery and hormone treatment and stuff. I would like to be a girl, but I don't feel that I would actually be a girl if I went through that.

Honestly i think your confused. yes you are in touch with your feminine side but that does not really mean you want to be a women. i think maybe society is playing a big part in this. In this world either you are a really matcho man who is just a sex pest or there is something wrong with you. I think your a guy who is just individual. yes you are curious about the opposite sex but arent we all?
Ignore the ignorant comment calling you a "freak", simply because it's something they don't understand/haven't experienced themselves.
My opinion is that there is no need to label yourself if you don't want to. You are you, that's what matters. You don't have to go through surgeries if you don't want to, it's all about how you want to live your life.

Don't worry about how other people see you. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter- that's my motto. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Storme
Hi OP!

There's a thread for people who don't identify as "gender-normal" here http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1883135&page=43&p=47134592&highlight=trans#post47134592 and you don't have to be sure of your gender identity to join the chat, we're a friendly bunch and happy to answer any questions you might have.

Thanks, I might post there (:

Original post by sid456
Honestly i think your confused. yes you are in touch with your feminine side but that does not really mean you want to be a women. i think maybe society is playing a big part in this. In this world either you are a really matcho man who is just a sex pest or there is something wrong with you. I think your a guy who is just individual. yes you are curious about the opposite sex but arent we all?

Well that's what I'm saying. I do want to be a woman. It's more than curiosity. I sometimes get quite sad that I'm a boy, though most of the time I'm okay with it.

Original post by gorillaz_gal
Ignore the ignorant comment calling you a "freak", simply because it's something they don't understand/haven't experienced themselves.
My opinion is that there is no need to label yourself if you don't want to. You are you, that's what matters. You don't have to go through surgeries if you don't want to, it's all about how you want to live your life.

Don't worry about how other people see you. Those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter- that's my motto. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, good advice. I suppose you're right - but regardless, I'm still confused about my gender :tongue:

Off topic, but as for that Dr Seuss quote, it sounds nice but it's a silly line as the first half infers the second half. If the people who do matter don't mind, then it is inferred that the ones who don't matter are the ones who mind. You're saying the same thing twice. Random but i just had to, sorry c:
Reply 9
honestly there are times i cry that over the fact that im a girl, periods and waxing just gets to me, i hate the pain but at the end of the day i am what i am, there are pros and cons to everything haha... hope you understand?
Reply 10
Original post by sid456
honestly there are times i cry that over the fact that im a girl, periods and waxing just gets to me, i hate the pain but at the end of the day i am what i am, there are pros and cons to everything haha... hope you understand?

Hm I didn't mean physical pain or frustration, I meant because I want to be a girl rather than a boy. I like waxing, it makes me prettier (:
(edited 9 years ago)
I sort of know how you feel, a lot of the time I feel like I would be happy as a boy and wish I could present as male when I felt like it without being judged or given funny looks by my friends. I wouldn't want to transition though, but lately I've been considering the fact I may be genderfluid..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Odd socks
I sort of know how you feel, a lot of the time I feel like I would be happy as a boy and wish I could present as male when I felt like it without being judged or given funny looks by my friends. I wouldn't want to transition though, but lately I've been considering the fact I may be genderfluid..

Posted from TSR Mobile

tbh I don't really understand gender fluidity - I'm not sure I really understand gender.
Reply 13
Look up gender queer
Maybe you are a somewhere in the middle, like a crossdresser?

You don't have to choose between being a rugby player or having a sex change!
Why do you feel you need to label yourself at all? You could be gender-curious I suppose, if that's even a thing. But if you don't necessarily identify as female then I'm not sure that would make you trans-gender. Maybe part of your desire to know what it's like to be a girl stems from curiousity, or knowing that life would be simpler if you were a girl, (because you could do all the things you like without the stigma attached), which I wouldn't call being trans-gender as much as having a fantasy.
Original post by Treeroy

hey op - i don't know if you're still active on TSR but i hope you figured it out! And if you haven't that's ok : )

(also, you may want to look into non-binary / general trans-femme identities)
Original post by sid456

Yes this one is top comment!!!
OP listen, my psychiatrist told me something really important, she said all women have a manly side where they’re adventurous loud outgoing etc and all men have a feminine side where they’re kind and sweet and love art and beautiful things. I believe you’re just getting confused due to modern society and stuff on the media. Gender fluidity doesn’t really exist, because I don’t for example feel like a girl all the time, I’m on autopilot. I go throughout my day, play piano, study etc and only when I buy clothes and want to do make up do I get in touch with my feminine side. I mainly just feel like a human and that’s what all people feel like!! People are confused about this and give it a label: ‘gender fluidity’ but the concept doesn’t exist and isn’t lgbt

I hope you understand what I’m saying. If you need any help tell me!!
Also if you’re comfortable in your own body then this just shows that you’re not trans.
Original post by ScoutLeopard
hey op - i don't know if you're still active on TSR but i hope you figured it out! And if you haven't that's ok : )

(also, you may want to look into non-binary / general trans-femme identities)

I seem to remember OP ultimately decided he was a straight male.
Original post by Treeroy

Whatever your chromosomes are and in your pants is your gender

Latest

Trending

Trending