The Student Room Group

Jane Eyre and Robert Browning AS Level English May 2014 question predictions?

I'm not saying i'm not going to revise everything I need to, just wanted to see what other students think might come up in May :biggrin:
Reply 1
Having looked at past paper questions etc for Jane Eyre - a few key themes havnt appeared... im especially preparing for religion, social class/gender equality or inequality, treatment of children, search for identity or book of coincidences.
Hope this is helpful - questions in the past have included love, janes emotions effect the setting, jane and rochester = master and pupil, and a sensational effects question.

Im hoping for a religion based question personally as i feel there is alot to speak about. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Llamass
I'm not saying i'm not going to revise everything I need to, just wanted to see what other students think might come up in May :biggrin:

I' resitting this paper and doing both Jane Eyre and Browning, for JE I expect more accessible questions than last year, last year majority went for 'hunger rebellion and rage' if I remember rightly. Browning I think will be a shorter poem this time as it was a fairly lengthy poem compared to the likes of Yates. With Both Jane Eyre and Browning being new to the spec its hard to predict, however, Browning has done poems with a religious focus, a focus on love, and a focus on society. Last year I predicted Dubiety as none of the later poems have come up yet. I still think Dubiety is a possibly this year as its shorter and later on. Alternatively, a political poem has not been done yet really, therefore, Apparent failure or Lost Leader are both strong contenders.
Sorry I can't help more, good luck on Friday
Reply 3
Original post by cjbaines
I' resitting this paper and doing both Jane Eyre and Browning, for JE I expect more accessible questions than last year, last year majority went for 'hunger rebellion and rage' if I remember rightly. Browning I think will be a shorter poem this time as it was a fairly lengthy poem compared to the likes of Yates. With Both Jane Eyre and Browning being new to the spec its hard to predict, however, Browning has done poems with a religious focus, a focus on love, and a focus on society. Last year I predicted Dubiety as none of the later poems have come up yet. I still think Dubiety is a possibly this year as its shorter and later on. Alternatively, a political poem has not been done yet really, therefore, Apparent failure or Lost Leader are both strong contenders.
Sorry I can't help more, good luck on Friday

Do you not think a longer poem such as Pictor Ignotus will come up then? And by accessible do you know what kind of themes you think may possibly come up? Like love, religion.. Etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Pictor ignores is another with religious focus so whilst it is a definite possibility, I think they'll be looking to go for a different theme e.g death or politics. For JE I think either the theme/focus will be clearly presented e.g not much thinking needed, or more likely a question that allows you to write about whatever you want e.g brontë's narrative methods
Reply 5
Pictor ignores is another with religious focus so whilst it is a definite possibility, I think they'll be looking to go for a different theme e.g death or politics. For JE I think either the theme/focus will be clearly presented e.g not much thinking needed, or more likely a question that allows you to write about whatever you want e.g brontë's narrative methods

If the theme was on independence, social conventions or equality what categories/paragraphs will you have and what would you discuss in each one? Im normally okay with this but I'm finding it difficult today to think of paragraphs I could write about. I can think of things but I don't think they will be enough to expand and write an essay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Llamass
If the theme was on independence, social conventions or equality what categories/paragraphs will you have and what would you discuss in each one? Im normally okay with this but I'm finding it difficult today to think of paragraphs I could write about. I can think of things but I don't think they will be enough to expand and write an essay

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry, didn't see this until after the exam, both predictions were right though, a later poem and general themes in the novel (that I found hard though)
Reply 7
Sorry, didn't see this until after the exam, both predictions were right though, a later poem and general themes in the novel (that I found hard though)

I was happy about Lost Leader, I forgot to mention a few things though and wrote something wrong. Jane Eyre was ok but I think I was very sloppy in writing my essays, very repetitive but I threw in as many quotes and critics as I could. Hopefully it went ok :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest