The Student Room Group

Girls reactions to being approached by guys

Today while i was in college a random nigeran guy approached my female friend who has a boyfriend. The guy was soo persistant to get her number and i personally think he made a fool of himself. How do you liked to be approached by guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Just say hi; make a comment about something that's happening.. A witty joke? Don't just ask for my number. Don't use a stupid chat up line. Be friendly.
Reply 2
I tend to dislike it when guys random guys approach me because half of them have no idea what they're doing abd just come off as annoying/sleazy. They tend to be overly enthusiastic and persistent as well. One guy the other day asked for my number so he can 'get to know' me and when I said 'no' he replied with 'are you sure?' which annoyed me very much!

I've had a few positive experiences though, it's usually when guys start off making small talk and say stuff about how they find me interesting and would like to get to know me better. When they really take the time to talk to you first, I'm more likely to give them my number, as opposed to when the guy asks for your number within the first 5 minutes - in that case it's a straight no from me!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
It's different for each woman but overall who cares ?

When women in general start making an equal split in the efforts to approach the opposite sex, then they can be fussy about how it happens to them. In the mean time, men should approach them any way they feel comfortable without a care for what they think. One style may not work on one, but it make work on another.
Reply 4
Original post by ILovePancakes
Just say hi; make a comment about something that's happening.. A witty joke? Don't just ask for my number. Don't use a stupid chat up line. Be friendly.

What if nothings happening?
Original post by awe
They didn't saying anything about whether he was hot or not, why are you assuming that because she said 'Nigerian' she is insinuating he was bad-looking?! :rolleyes:

Im a guy btw and I aint gay
Original post by awe
They didn't saying anything about whether he was hot or not, why are you assuming that because she said 'Nigerian' she is insinuating he was bad-looking?! :rolleyes:

Because I just know. I know he wasn't good looking.

She didn't need to say Nigerian, if the person was white, would she say "white man"? No.
Original post by MJ1012
What if nothings happening?

Something's always happening.. I don't know.. the weather? Compliments then :fan:?
Reply 8
A way to approach me- Don't. I'm joking.It's a bad joke. *don't judge me*. I personally like it when someone starts a conversation because then I never shut up. But, I would literally die before initiating a conversation even if I know someone. I find that usually when boys do approach me they are really crude and so I kind of freak out internally because I'm awkward as it is and so people who take the blunt or sexist approach doesn't work with me.
Original post by Xyloid

When women in general start making an equal split in the efforts to approach the opposite sex, then they can be fussy about how it happens to them. In the mean time, men should approach them any way they feel comfortable without a care for what they think. One style may not work on one, but it make work on another.

Personally I feel most at ease walking slowly towards them whilst staring straight into their eyes, wearing nothing but a t-shirt plus socks and slowly doing the helicopter but apparently this is "indecent" and "illegal". Spoilsports.
Reply 10
Something's always happening.. I don't know.. the weather? Compliments then :fan:?

Is the weather not cheesy?
How about "Woah, check it out, that bus just pulled into a bus stop and an elderly lady and a child who I would say was aged 9-11 got off and walked down the street"?
I thought girls also hated it when a guy just comes up to them with a compliment?
The best time you would get good cooperation from a female would be at a bar club any social settings.It really depends on the situation and the female mind frame at that point.
Reply 12
Original post by Le Nombre
Personally I feel most at ease walking slowly towards them whilst staring straight into their eyes, wearing nothing but a t-shirt plus socks and slowly doing the helicopter but apparently this is "indecent" and "illegal". Spoilsports.

That's illegal now!? bloody feminism, country's gone to the dogs.
Reply 13
I dress and act very casual and un-flirty, I don't like to meet guys by random approach. I was the same before I had a boyfriend. On a night out when I dress up a bit, still my make-up is minimal, I feel like I look quite innocent and not like I am out to pull. If I get approached I just feel wary because if they are just looking for ANY GIRL TO LIEK ME or sex, then you'd think they would go for the girls who try more to look attractive. But what other reason would you get approached? They don't know you, so it's literally just 'hey you look nice, want to boost my ego by having sex?'. Well, no, not really. I get nothing from that except potentially an STD.

I prefer to meet people through friends, and get to know them a bit before they ask me or I ask them out - because then it at least gives the impression that they like you more than they like a stranger in the street.
Original post by MJ1012
Is the weather not cheesy?
How about "Woah, check it out, that bus just pulled into a bus stop and an elderly lady and a child who I would say was aged 9-11 got off and walked down the street"?
I thought girls also hated it when a guy just comes up to them with a compliment?

Yes it is.. I ran out of ideas :tongue:
Don't describe what's happening - comment on it.
No. It depends on the way the compliment is given:

This is OK:
"I was over there *points* and couldn't help but notice that you have really pretty hair."

This is not OK:
"Oi, you have really sexy hair. What are the chances of me seeing you in just your sexy curly hair?" (this happened to me :frown: )
Original post by Xyloid

So you think consistently harrassing someone and then following them because they didnt and obviously dont want to give out their number is ok? Because this happens more often than I think people realise.

I personally prefer it if i'm not approached at all, however I do have some respect for guys who can ask politely and accept a 'no thank you' without trying to carry it on further or getting nasty because I've refused them.

There are such things as manners which a lot of guys who approach girl on the street seem to lack and no thats not cool. We shouldnt have to start approaching people just to earn some kind of decency back.
Reply 16
Yes it is.. I ran out of ideas :tongue:
Don't describe what's happening - comment on it.
No. It depends on the way the compliment is given:

This is OK:
"I was over there *points* and couldn't help but notice that you have really pretty hair."

This is not OK:
"Oi, you have really sexy hair. What are the chances of me seeing you in just your sexy curly hair?" (this happened to me :frown: )

If you didn't sleep with that guy, then I give up.
I hate being approached in the street. I'm on my year abroad and here it's totally acceptable for guys to do it. I just find it an invasion of my personal space and it worries me especially if I'm alone.
Original post by MJ1012
If you didn't sleep with that guy, then I give up.

Don't give up hope.. We banged right there, right then.. In the middle of the train station.
Approach girl, pat on shoulder. As she's turning head to face me, whip it out and state "say hello to my little friend".

Either end up in jail or get a blowie.

Quick Reply

Latest