The Student Room Group

Girls reactions to being approached by guys

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Xyloid
At the end of the day it's something you wouldn't have sympathy for because you are the female in this argument. I on the other hand can understand the male psyche a bit more and I can see how it all works. I don't condone the guys that do it, and i'm sorry but it isn't a majority, but I can understand why it happens and none of my friends harass women so you must be incredibly unlucky or it may be something about you that attracts that kind of behaviour. Who knows ?

I'm not quite sure why you're stating the obvious. Of course women don't like approaching guys in general, but neither do guys. Most have to do it otherwise they'll stay alone for the rest of their lives. Society tells us that it's something a man does - not the woman. A female friend of mine recently said once that women don't ask guys out because they don't enjoy it and then firmly believed that men do it because men enjoy doing it ? She left a room in hysterics.

You seem to be missing my point entirely. Neither men nor women particularly enjoy making the effort. Men would love it if women made an effort with them. Of course they would, that's easy. It doesn't happen because society tells women they're desperate if they do so. Society tells men they should do the asking out because it's a masculine act. Both of these are bull****, and over time will be broken down with the rise in equality and feminism. I spent a lot of time in Sweden last year, one of the most equal countries on the planet, if not the most equal society on the planet - over their it's completely normal and harmless for a woman to ask a man out. It's just something that came with equality and the government making massive efforts to eliminate gender stereotyping.

Women don't bat an eyelid for the minute because it's suits them to not do any work and be the ones who were asked out. No anxiety, no fuss you just get to choose and refuse. Simple. It's not the same way for men and a lot of the refusals and stuff subconsciously turn into bitterness over the years without them even knowing about it. Women as a gender never seem to realise that by not making an effort with men equally and forcing yourselves to break the stereotype, that you're continuing this weird notion that you're some sort of weird creatures that should be won over and impressed in a more superior way to the male gender. I don't buy it. It's not the 1950's anymore where this chivalrous behaviour has any place and it's something that people will eventually see has no place in the modern world, albeit we're years behind countries like those in Scandinavia.

The behaviour i experience I will admit is probably partly down to Gloucester itself, which isnt the nicest of cities. I go to Brighton every now and then and never experience any annoying behavior from men at all.

But, I feel we've moved on beyond approaching the other sex on the street to asking people we know out which i and my friends do, if the person we like is available. I cant speak for every woman out there obviously but there are plenty of girls for whom asking someone out, that they already know and like isnt an issue and happens regularly.

But I still dont see why we should go and ask out men on the street just to break a stereotype if most women have no interest in strangers but in men they already know. It's just leading on and doing it to break a stereotype is pointless, if women genuinely arent interested in doing it!

For those of us with the confidence to ask men out, it isnt the fact that its 'the mans job', or we'll be called desperate etc. It is the fact we have no interest in strange men we dont know!
I would prefer a guy to just make small talk, eg sit next to me on the train and say something like "at least no strike on today!" and smile at me. It breaks the ice, and depending on my reaction, if I smile back, or just act like I'm not interested, then they can continue, "so what's your name" or something like that.

I don't like guys who are persistent. If I tell you I'm not interested, I'm not changing my mind 10 seconds later because you double checked if I'm sure or not about giving my number. Some guys think that being persistent is a turn on and women are playing hard to get, no we are not, I'm not interested.

I don't particularly approach guys myself, not because I think it's the male that should, but because I haven't found anyone I believe to be attractive enough to want to talk to. However, on the rare occasion that I think a male is attractive (I usually find one once or twice a year), I will show interest.
Original post by hotliketea
could you generalise any more broadly to over 3.5 billion people? i approached my boyfriend and i kissed him first. i drop the boyfriend comment in because i am happy with my boyfriend and so i don't want to waste the guys time and i don't want to waste my time because 100% i'm not interested.

otherwise , i've been approached many times and as long as they're not sleazy i'll talk to them , but women have been brought up to mistrust a man who comes up to them. for me , i always have to look at them and see if i think i'm in danger , and that's why for a lot of women they don't like it. it's like being cornered.

i think it's important men remember that , as wrong as it is , when you're brought up you are taught men want sex , and if you're not up for that kind of thing you'll run away. /life

Well its unusual for a girl to approach a boy and kiss him first, quite rare in fact, would be handy if more girls did this, but they don't, they nearly always expect the man to do it all. Surprised anyone is getting together if girls are so restrictive in all the criteria that must be met before they will date which the boy will have no clue on as he's not psychic. There's no proof to suggest that they are in any more danger than with someone they know. In fact I think they say that most rapes on women are carried out by someone they know, in which case do you really know them? For sure men want sex at some point but women being the opposite sex you think they would want it to, but they often seem to act if they are all lesie or something.
Meh, I don't know. Just say 'hi' and if we can keep each other's interest for the next few minutes, we have a friendship forming right there. Also, I like people who are a little weird or slightly nuts because then we can keep each other entertained. And when a boy comes up to me and introduces himself, most of the time I would prefer if it was for friendship purposes because there's this thing where when a girl and boy are friends, everyone seems to think there is potential for a relationship forming.
Reply 84
This thread is funny, loads of people saying different things. It's no wonder no one had any idea what to do.
Original post by Nino_Ib
Until he gets freindzoned haha.....Sure I definitely don't agree with the other guy's tactics, and how are you meant to have a proper conversation in a club where there is loud music?......Missy the club isn't a friendly place, a guy definitely has to give you some sort of hint( well in a sensile manner) not chat away all night.

No and I understand that clubs aren't full of people having in depth, worthwhile conversations/chatting away all night. But as someone else said, some guys make it painfully obvious that they're looking for someone to take home and just make you feel uncomfortable.

I'm not one of the people saying "I don't want to be approached", I don't care about being approached, (I met my boyfriend in a club, we sat by the bar and chatted about the music and stuff) it's the way that a lot of guys about it. All I was saying was there's being friendly and then there's being a creep.
Reply 86
Original post by bumblebee342
No and I understand that clubs aren't full of people having in depth, worthwhile conversations/chatting away all night. But as someone else said, some guys make it painfully obvious that they're looking for someone to take home and just make you feel uncomfortable.

I'm not one of the people saying "I don't want to be approached", I don't care about being approached, (I met my boyfriend in a club, we sat by the bar and chatted about the music and stuff) it's the way that a lot of guys about it. All I was saying was there's being friendly and then there's being a creep.

Yeah I definitely get where you are coming from some guys just make it really hard, and vice versa girls make it hard for guys to approach as well whether the guy is nice or nah, there is no pleasing in regards to this thread
Original post by toonervoustotalk
Today while i was in college a random nigeran guy approached my female friend who has a boyfriend. The guy was soo persistant to get her number and i personally think he made a fool of himself. How do you liked to be approached by guys.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im pretty sure he was just messing around with his mates
Original post by Xyloid
Oh shoot I forgot this forum is full of mental-age 14 year old's on the hunt for rep points to make them feel important.

Over here in mature world, we don't feel the need to be pedants about everything. But if you need the clarity, I'll make sure to put "within reason" in my text the next time I make the same post.

A) I would say I have a mental age well below 14.

B) I get paid an awful lot of money and have trained for years to be a pedant about everything, stopping this would be seriously detrimental to my long term financial security.

C) You don't need an apostrophe in "olds".
Reply 89
Personally I don't like to be "approached" at all.

The exceptions are:
- When there's something they genuinely want to comment on (e.g. a reference on my t-shirt)
- When they've seen me before or we have mutual friends, so it's just a chat
- When they just innocently need something, like directions

I'm never rude to men who approach unless they're rude to me, but I'd still rather avoid the interraction altogether. Being judged as acceptable on my physical attractiveness alone is not something I enjoy, and not something I like doing to others.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 90
Original post by Aivicore
Personally I don't like to be "approached" at all.

The exceptions are:
- When there's something they genuinely want to comment on (e.g. a reference on my t-shirt)
- When they've seen me before or we have mutual friends, so it's just a chat
- When they just innocently need something, like directions

I'm never rude to men who approach unless they're rude to me, but I'd still rather avoid the interraction altogether. Being judged as acceptable on my physical attractiveness alone is not something I enjoy, and not something I like doing to others.

I think that is quite typical. Most women don't particularly wish to engage in conversation with a stranger in the middle of the street.

If we were in a more convivial setting like a pub, I might comment on your band t-shirt and ask you if you'd seen them live etc. But if it was evident that you weren't particularly interested in conversing I would smile politely and leave you be.

Guys who go up and openly "approach", ie immediately start complementing a girl or use chat up lines etc, are just idiots.
Reply 91
Original post by Le Nombre
A) I would say I have a mental age well below 14.

B) I get paid an awful lot of money and have trained for years to be a pedant about everything, stopping this would be seriously detrimental to my long term financial security.

C) You don't need an apostrophe in "olds".

I care about none of that.
Original post by Xyloid
I care about none of that.

You replied to me suggesting I was being overly predantic, I gave good reasons as to why that is the case, apologies if you merely wanted to reply setting out your position without actually getting a response from me. You may want to stay away from discussion boards in the future though, as the nature of discussion is going to lead to this happening a lot.

I also guarantee you will, in time, be very glad people like me are around.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by Le Nombre
You replied to me suggesting I was being overly predantic, I gave good reasons as to why that is the case, apologies if you merely wanted to reply setting out your position without actually getting a response from me. You may want to stay away from discussion boards in the future though, as the nature of discussion is going to lead to this happening a lot.

I also guarantee you will, in time, be very glad people like me are around.

Okay.
you mans have been watching way too much simple pickup n **** lol. just go chat to a hoe.
Reply 95
Original post by Nino_Ib
Have you ever thought about a guy just been friendly towards you?.... We aren't all looking for sex all the time you know.

I agree, a lot of my friends are male. But if a guy just has friendly intentions he wouldn't just approach me. If I see him around or he's in my lectures or something then fine, that's how I've made male friends and sometimes I approach people like that just with friendly intentions. But there's a way that guys act sometimes when they approach that makes you think they have already judged you as perfect, not even trying to see if I am the kind of person they might like, and are just trying to get you to like them.
Reply 96
Original post by Orthonym
I agree, a lot of my friends are male. But if a guy just has friendly intentions he wouldn't just approach me. If I see him around or he's in my lectures or something then fine, that's how I've made male friends and sometimes I approach people like that just with friendly intentions. But there's a way that guys act sometimes when they approach that makes you think they have already judged you as perfect, not even trying to see if I am the kind of person they might like, and are just trying to get you to like them.

Why wouldn't he just approach you?......So what you saying is you can go with the mind of been friends with a guy but not vice versa, and please don't say guys I hate generalization, have been misjudged before by a girl that thought I wanted to approach her before and I wouldn't touch this girl with a pole and not because she isn't attractive,, she is just not my type.
I scream rape even if they approach me just to say hi.
Reply 98
Original post by Nino_Ib
Why wouldn't he just approach you?......So what you saying is you can go with the mind of been friends with a guy but not vice versa, and please don't say guys I hate generalization, have been misjudged before by a girl that thought I wanted to approach her before and I wouldn't touch this girl with a pole and not because she isn't attractive,, she is just not my type.

No, I meant that it's fine if they are in my lectures or I have seen them around before, or if they are a friend of a friend and I have heard of them before. That is ok for me to approach them or for them to approach me. But if it is completely random and I don't even recognize them then no, I don't expect a random person to start making friends with me.

I generalize by saying guys and not girls, because a girl has never randomly approached me before but guys have.
Original post by awe
They didn't saying anything about whether he was hot or not, why are you assuming that because she said 'Nigerian' she is insinuating he was bad-looking?! :rolleyes:

It's been almost 24 hours, answer my question.

Would the person say "white person"?
I want to know why he said Nigerian, what was the idiotic point?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending