The Student Room Group

Withdrawing my UCAS application

I have received a conditional offer for Medical Biochemistry from the University of Birmingham and I have firmed it. However, if I get better than expected grades on results day, I would like to take a gap year and apply for medicine next year. Is it possible to reject the offer AFTER results day? Who would I have to contact or can I withdraw my UCAS application completely after results day for that year?

Also, what happens with student finance if I do this?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by h_minhas
I have received a conditional offer for Medical Biochemistry from the University of Birmingham and I have firmed it. However, if I get better than expected grades on results day, I would like to take a gap year and apply for medicine next year. Is it possible to reject the offer AFTER results day? Who would I have to contact or can I withdraw my UCAS application completely after results day for that year?

You just ask to be released on results day
Reply 2
Original post by TenOfThem
You just ask to be released on results day

Who do i ask?

Thank you for the help
Reply 3

I believe you are technically legally obliged to go to that uni - however, they can release you if you phone up on results day and asked to be released. It's entirely up to them, though it's unlikely that they will say no. Make sure you note down who you've talked to, when, what phone number etc to make it easier.
Reply 4
Original post by Mazzini
I believe you are technically legally obliged to go to that uni - however, they can release you if you phone up on results day and asked to be released. It's entirely up to them, though it's unlikely that they will say no. Make sure you note down who you've talked to, when, what phone number etc to make it easier.

Thank you.
Do you know what would happen with student finance loans if I did this?
Been a while since I thought about the UCAS system but as far as I remember you only need permission to be 'released' from your firm to go to your insurance.

You can withdraw from UCAS as a whole without asking anyone's permission.

Once again, someone more informed will be along soon enough to confirm/dispel what I've said.
Reply 6
Thank you.
Do you know what would happen with student finance loans if I did this?

No, sorry! :colondollar:

Quick Reply