The Student Room Group

One mark of an A is controlled Assessment, A*?

Hi, I got a B (one mark of an A) in my biology coursework. I am aiming to get an A* overall. Is this possible if I get A*s in all the module exams (bare in mind the UMS)

Thanks
What board, I did ocr biology last year. I got a A in my coursework(one mark off an A*), got 134/140A* in my first exam and then 127/140A in my second and overall I got a very high A. One raw mark off a A* In ums. Luckly I got It remarked and got a A*. Basically I think a B is a bit low unless you smash the exams. If you got two low/mid A* (b1b2b3) and (b4b5b6) you would not get a A* overall, you need two high A*, Full ums. You should go for it though as full ums last year was 51ish/75 raw marks on each paper which you can get. Good luck, bear in mind if your in y10 your teacher will let you 'fix' it.:tongue:
Reply 2
Original post by whydoidothis?
What board, I did ocr biology last year. I got a A in my coursework(one mark off an A*), got 134/140A* in my first exam and then 127/140A in my second and overall I got a very high A. One raw mark off a A* In ums. Luckly I got It remarked and got a A*. Basically I think a B is a bit low unless you smash the exams. If you got two low/mid A* (b1b2b3) and (b4b5b6) you would not get a A* overall, you need two high A*, Full ums. You should go for it though as full ums last year was 51ish/75 raw marks on each paper which you can get. Good luck, bear in mind if your in y10 your teacher will let you 'fix' it.:tongue:

I'm doing ocr 21st century. The thing is that I find the theory really easy and that i've practically memorised. My biggest weakness is the practical. I'm more mathematically minded :colondollar:. I', in year 11 i did my coursework in year ten however i'm not allowed to improve it. How are UMS calculated for my exam board? I dont understand.
Not sure I did OCR triple science but gateway not 21st centuary, go on the ocr website. Don't worry too much revise extra for biology, if you get 80% in both exams (or whatever) you should get a A* overall. For me it was 71% for an A*-so im basing it off that. Check the site.
Reply 4
Original post by whydoidothis?
Not sure I did OCR triple science but gateway not 21st centuary, go on the ocr website. Don't worry too much revise extra for biology, if you get 80% in both exams (or whatever) you should get a A* overall. For me it was 71% for an A*-so im basing it off that. Check the site.

It said that the UMS for an A* was 90. Does that mean it must be my average?
Reply 5
For the individual paper

Quick Reply

Latest