The Student Room Group

Foundation year vs Low ranking University?

So basically, I've been lumped with a ****ty form of Maths A level, A level use of maths, and the only Uni that will accept it is hull for an astrophysics degree.. My other option is to do a foundation year at a university such as Sheffield and then do the normal 3 year course, does this seem like a better thing to do as it's a higher ranked University?
Reply 1
I would rather go to a better uni so I'd go with the foundation year
cant u redo your a levels? at least itl be cheaper than a foundation yr
Reply 3
Original post by haydentaylor
So basically, I've been lumped with a ****ty form of Maths A level, A level use of maths, and the only Uni that will accept it is hull for an astrophysics degree.. My other option is to do a foundation year at a university such as Sheffield and then do the normal 3 year course, does this seem like a better thing to do as it's a higher ranked University?

What's wrong with you young people and your mindset that you need to get to university as fast as possible, even at the cost of a good education at a good university? Child, take the damn foundation year!
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Ask the universities you would like to attend if they allow transfers into the second year. Do your first year at Hull, then move into your second year at another uni. This is of course if your modules match up as well. They normally ask for at least 60% overall which is pretty easy. Saves you a year.
Foundation year. I know people who've done a foundation year, also for physics, and I can assure you that not one of them has ever said to me that they wished they'd gone to a low ranked uni instead.

Doing a foundation year and going to a high ranked uni like Sheffield will pay dividends in the long run

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Also is there a reason why you have been put in use of maths? Is your gcse below par?

Depends on the extent of the drop I suppose, but just be aware you won't have any more 'safe card' regarding student finance, plus you will be paying an extra ~£15000 extra on your loan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Hull university may not be a 'Russel group' University but it is a good uni. Ranking isn't everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by haydentaylor

Is this your theory or hae you spoken to the university. It would be bad to go along with your plan and find that it is flawed when actually applying. Ring around. I am sure a few other good universities have a similar offer of a foundation year, yet ring each one to find out what their requirements and what you should be aiming for. Do they accept use of maths ect.
Original post by mmnoodles
Hull university may not be a 'Russel group' University but it is a good uni. Ranking isn't everything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah hull uni actually a really well respected uni, I think it's got a bad rep because people think the towns bad
And hull uni is in the top 50 in the uk again
Reply 11
Yeah, people tend to stereotype Hull, before I moved here I thought it was rough due to what I had heard, but its not. There's a few places that aren't nice, but all city's have those. Hulls actually a nice place, everyone's really friendly :smile:

The chemistry lecturers at Hull are crazy in an awesome way:tongue: <3

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Hull uni discovered LCD technology and invented bone density scanners. It also always ranks well in university tables. Not sure why people are slating it, I'm in my final year here and all the stereotypes are ridiculous. Every city has it's rough areas - the uni is in the nicest part of hull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hull may be underrated as a uni, but there's not many people who would dispute that Sheffield is better (including employers...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP, as university ranking matters to you, I think the foundation year option is the one to choose, unless you actually like the Hull course. There's no point doing a degree you don't like. I wouldn't risk transferring personally, as there's no guarantee you'll be able to. If you prefer Sheffield, go to Sheffield - a year out of your life at this stage is nothing.

Original post by Origami Bullets
Hull may be underrated as a uni, but there's not many people who would dispute that Sheffield is better (including employers...)

Posted from TSR Mobile

The graduate prospects data would disagree, Hull is well above Sheffield (for physics and astrophysics). 'Employers' probably regard them as about the same (physics is universally well-regarded by any employer who bothers to study the education system, and those who don't tend to lump most universities in the 'good' category by virtue of them being neither Oxbridge nor an ex-poly).
(edited 10 years ago)
Do a foundation year. I've done that as I wasn't allowed to retake my a levels.

Edit: Your student finance will not be affected. I called SFE personally to ask and ppl on TSR have also clarified this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending