The Student Room Group
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole

Arts University Bournemouth - When is everyone moving in?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm hoping it's a typo/ miscalculation. The halls contracts start 1st September and run through to 13th June. It says on the site they are continuous so it means you don't have to vacate for holidays.. which makes me think you don't stop at december. So then starting from 1st september to 12th jan is around 18 weeks I think.
Looking over it again now..
Bournemouth University students in library, Talbot campus
Bournemouth University
Poole
Reply 81
Original post by ben jammin
Funnily enough I'm just going over my student finance atm trying to work out a budget and what price range to look at for private rent/ bills etc.

What do you mean by the first term is 18 weeks. Basing it on term dates on the AUB I believe most people will move in on the 15th/ 22nd and leave on the 19th December which is only about 14-15 weeks. My student finance paper also says I'll get paid on the 22nd of September and then again on the 6th January (when the second term starts). That is a total gap of 15 week with, presumably, 2 of those weeks being spent back at home for Christmas holidays leaving only 13 "term" weeks between payments.

What dates does it say in your email regarding halls/ dates for moving in etc? I'm going straight for private so don't have an email about them.

Also I'm not sure how much you're receiving in regards to Maintenance loan/ grant etc
I doubt that only having £78 for 18 weeks is right and that there's either a typo somewhere or a mistake in your calculations. Hopefully anyway :smile:

I have just rang them and gone through it with the university and I haven't made a mistake. I do only have £80 for the first 18 week term.
Reply 82
Original post by Jesecar
I have just rang them and gone through it with the university and I haven't made a mistake. I do only have £80 for the first 18 week term.

£80... That's crazy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
When you move into halls the contracts don't break for holidays like other universities and so you pay 40 weeks still but the first term is the longest so it takes the most money. How do students do it?!
Original post by Jesecar
I'm hoping it's a typo/ miscalculation. The halls contracts start 1st September and run through to 13th June. It says on the site they are continuous so it means you don't have to vacate for holidays.. which makes me think you don't stop at december. So then starting from 1st september to 12th jan is around 18 weeks I think.
Looking over it again now..

Original post by Jesecar

Original post by Jesecar
When you move into halls the contracts don't break for holidays like other universities and so you pay 40 weeks still but the first term is the longest so it takes the most money. How do students do it?!

Ah ok then. That's no fun :frown:

What halls did you apply for? Is it possible to swap for cheaper halls or have you considered looking into private housing? I believe it doesn't cost as much.
Now that people have started hearing back about accommodation someone's made a thread to discuss house sharing for those who are going to accommodation days/ looking at private rented.
Just thought I'd post a link here in case people haven't seen it yet :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2698845

Me and SummerGreatScott are looking to find 3 more people for a 5 person house in the Winton area. We'll both be at the July accommodation day.

We're going to be first year animation students and are looking for housemates who'd be interested in group cooking/ shopping, watching films/ anime, having house parties, playing games like Mario Kart etc, going out and about (like to the Beach and things) and who want to have fun really :biggrin:
Neither of us are really into clubbing but are up for going every now and again.
If you're interested send either of us a message :smile:

Also, on a side note, is anyone going down to any of the AUB Summer Shows? They sound pretty fun and I'll most likely be going down this evening to check out the graduate animations and just look about the Uni really.

edit:
We've got the full 5 and the house sorted now :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 86
Just heard back about accomdation, I haven't got a room in halls.
Reply 87
Original post by Anna-M.
Hi! :smile: I firmly accepted my offer for Animation Production and also applied to East and West house. I'm from Bulgaria and I know that most ppl move in around 15~16th. I'm sooooo excited!!^_^

HI!!! :biggrin: I'm also in for animation production!! Im so excited!!!!
Reply 88
Original post by GatsbyTheory
Post-results Accommodation Day is a good idea, but at the same time I was looking for housing two months ago and we had a choice of maybe eight-ten places. Then again, I was looking for a two-bed flat that me and my friend are going to share (and finally found one!), but there were quite a few three bed flats, and if we'd opened the search to more, there'd likely have been even more of those. There was a house near the uni with students there already, for example, but someone was leaving the house and so they needed another. There'll always be things like that. Fingers crossed you find one! (And get your results!)

the accommodation is beautiful at AUB, and bournemouth in general is hilariously fun! (they do such great dohnuts at the beach) i went for a term at bournemouth uni, but have transferred! i cant wait to do this course!! :biggrin:
Reply 89
I've got a house sorted, hope everyone's house hunt goes well and see you all in September!
Reply 90
Hi Ben! I'm starting with the Foundation course and I was wondering if you'd already done it, somewhere else maybe? I don't know where I got it from, but I thought students who wanted to do courses like Illustration and Animation (which I'm juggling between right now, not sure which to go into!) had to get more experience and improve their portfolio's via the Foundation, but I've heard of some people going straight into them.

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!! animation production!!!!!!! im also going to study that! im in a house with some friends! but i have a friend who does animation who loves private accommodation. she said shes going to live in it again for year 2!!!
Now that people have started hearing back about accommodation someone's made a thread to discuss house sharing for those who are going to accommodation days/ looking at private rented.
Just thought I'd post a link here in case people haven't seen it yet :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2698845

Me and SummerGreatScott are looking to find 3 more people for a 5 person house in the Winton area. We'll both be at the July accommodation day.

We're going to be first year animation students and are looking for housemates who'd be interested in group cooking/ shopping, watching films/ anime, having house parties, playing games like Mario Kart etc, going out and about (like to the Beach and things) and who want to have fun really :biggrin:
Neither of us are really into clubbing but are up for going every now and again.

Also, on a side note, is anyone going down to any of the AUB Summer Shows? They sound pretty fun and I'll most likely be going down this evening to check out the graduate animations and just look about the Uni really.

I would totally house-share you.

I've applied for a Foundation course at AUB. Unfortunately I have to catch three buses just to arrive there because there's no financial possibility of renting privately. :frown:
Is anyone still looking for a house mate or have a room spare?
Preferably, I'd want to be in a mixed house within 30 minute walk to uni
I'm a girl going into my 2nd year, I'm pretty easy going and chilled, I enjoy going out but I'm not a slacker either.
It'd be so nice to find similarly chilled housemates!
Original post by Fanticipation

I've applied for a Foundation course at AUB. Unfortunately I have to catch three buses just to arrive there because there's no financial possibility of renting privately. :frown:

Ah sorry the house is already full :frown:

Hope the foundation year goes well though! :biggrin:
I'm not sure about how loans and things work for foundation years. You might be able to get a bus pass though or a season ticket of some sort for the buses. Might work out cheaper that way instead of getting individual tickets each time :smile:

Original post by amberflykezzie
Is anyone still looking for a house mate or have a room spare?
Preferably, I'd want to be in a mixed house within 30 minute walk to uni
I'm a girl going into my 2nd year, I'm pretty easy going and chilled, I enjoy going out but I'm not a slacker either.
It'd be so nice to find similarly chilled housemates!

Hi. There are people posting about in this facebook group where you might be able to find some people for a house: https://www.facebook.com/groups/577496059007265/?fref=ts

Also on a some of the fresher pages like this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1397603520487622/?ref=ts&fref=ts
and also this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ArtsUniversityBournemouthFreshers2014/?ref=ts&fref=ts

Do you know about the accommodation days the AUB is doing too? The July one just happened but there will be another one on August 15th where you can meet other students and find a house (might mainly be first years though).

Hope it helps :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)

edit:
We've got the full 5 and the house sorted now :smile:

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh, sounds like you guys are going to have a lot of fun at your place, if I wasn't already sorted with accommodation, I'd have been right in there! Glad you found enough people now though. Also, the Summer shows look really good! I saw them last year ^^

Three buses?! That's a hell of a lot.. I don't suppose you live nearish a train station? The uni is fairly close to one, so if you caught a train you could always catch a bus from Bournemouth train station and it would be 10-15 minutes into Uni. (:
Three buses?! That's a hell of a lot.. I don't suppose you live nearish a train station? The uni is fairly close to one, so if you caught a train you could always catch a bus from Bournemouth train station and it would be 10-15 minutes into Uni. (:

Oh no, I only live a 10-minute drive away from the centre of Bournemouth (the closest train station as well). It's just this current government and council doesn't particularly like public transport and so has decided to sever my main route to Bournemouth. Hopefully I'm moving anyway so I'll only need to take two.
Oh no, I only live a 10-minute drive away from the centre of Bournemouth (the closest train station as well). It's just this current government and council doesn't particularly like public transport and so has decided to sever my main route to Bournemouth. Hopefully I'm moving anyway so I'll only need to take two.

Ohh! That's good then -- kinda... I guess the problem remains then. That sucks though! Which route is being cancelled D:
Fingers crossed for you :smile:
Reply 98

If I'm not wrong, there's a bus that goes direct to bournemouth station, which is not too far from madeira road (that is, if you're staying there :B ) The one I saw is from Heathrow airport though, so if you're coming from elsewhere I'm not sure :x
Original post by sue911
If I'm not wrong, there's a bus that goes direct to bournemouth station, which is not too far from madeira road (that is, if you're staying there :B ) The one I saw is from Heathrow airport though, so if you're coming from elsewhere I'm not sure :x

No, I'm coming from the Ringwood/Ferndown area :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending