The Student Room Group

Protip for men: no luck for the ladies? try wearing makeup. I'm being serious

Scroll to see replies

Original post by katywillis
I've often wondered why more guys don't wear make-up, to be honest. Especially for acne, it's a god-send. I go up a solid two points in the 'out of 10 rating system' just by applying a bit of make-up. Although, the funny thing is that if we all start wearing make-up to convince the other sex we're attractive, none of us might as well bother! For me if I started dating someone who wore make-up I probably would find it a bit strange at first simply because it's so unconventional, but I'd probably get on board soon enough! I used to date a guy who dyed his hair, after all.

Would be quite nice, IMO.
Original post by scrotgrot
Yeah I always looked way hotter in eyeliner as a teenage emo. Nothing to be worried about in this day and age, I might not see myself applying actual make-up but now I'm getting older I'm at least seeing the potential benefits of the Patrick Bateman moisturising routine

Gotta remember though that make-up is really bad for your skin, especially acne as mentioned just above. Also we don't want to start an arms race with this stuff and end up paying £9 a time for a little stick of make-up. As David Mitchell says, "We'll be in the same situation as the poor women!"

£9? I don't own a single piece of make up for anywhere near this.. Most make up brands are really expensive :frown:.
Reply 62
Original post by katywillis
I've often wondered why more guys don't wear make-up, to be honest. Especially for acne, it's a god-send. I go up a solid two points in the 'out of 10 rating system' just by applying a bit of make-up. Although, the funny thing is that if we all start wearing make-up to convince the other sex we're attractive, none of us might as well bother! For me if I started dating someone who wore make-up I probably would find it a bit strange at first simply because it's so unconventional, but I'd probably get on board soon enough! I used to date a guy who dyed his hair, after all.

I'd be happy if make up didn't exist tbh. It'd make both genders alot happier, no Impossible standards to maintain and live up to.
The west, in a nutshell.
Reply 64
Original post by Danz123
I'd be happy if make up didn't exist tbh. It'd make both genders alot happier, no Impossible standards to maintain and live up to.

True. You'd also have to get rid of photoshopping, plastic surgery, and find some way to control the media too though!

I've always considered make-up something of a double-edged sword, purely because of how different I look with/without it and because of societal expectations. Some days it's a blessing, others it's a curse.
Original post by ILovePancakes
£9? I don't own a single piece of make up for anywhere near this.. Most make up brands are really expensive :frown:.

I'm gobsmacked, I thought I was shooting for a mid-range brand at worst with that figure!
Original post by scrotgrot
I'm gobsmacked, I thought I was shooting for a mid-range brand at worst with that figure!

Nope.. that's low-range. My foundation alone is £25.. Mascara is £18. I'm skint right now and everything is running out :frown:.
Nope.. that's low-range. My foundation alone is £25.. Mascara is £18. I'm skint right now and everything is running out :frown:.

In that case I'd just have to look like a cheap tart
Original post by Huskaris
Please guys no. I don't want us to have to become as vein as women ������

Yeah us guys should stay artery!
Indeed. Nothing wrong with men wearing make-up. The concept that it's a woman-only habit and men must remain rugged is an oudated one. One thing I've noticed that looks good on a lot of men is eyeliner, especially if they have striking eyes.
No, my name is not Gideon (the Chancellor of the Exchequer).
Original post by Ribbit1234
no we dont prefer men in makeup :/ we like masculine MEN. not little feminine girly boys who like to play around with makeup

Spoken by someone who has clearly never seen the League of Gentlemen. :lol:

Some of us do. I'm not saying guys need makeup to be attractive but it can pretty attractive when they do wear it.
Original post by Taylorluke94
Most 'men' are already emasculated to the point of embarrassment. No need to feminize them further.

Why is being feminine a bad thing? If a guy wants to be feminine, he should be able to without being slated for it.
Reply 73
There's no need to make it so that all men should wear make up or even make it a common thing amongst men (it's stupid enough that so many women feel pressured to do it), it would just be awesome if those men who wanted to wear make up could do it without being judged. Cause seriously, there's nothing wrong with a guy using make up. Let everyone look the way they want to look, peace and love and stuff :ahee:

Jesus Christ! That's expensive. Although if it's MAC or Dior then that's understandable. I am just glad I only use eyeliner and BB cream- saving money every day :tongue:
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Jesus Christ! That's expensive. Although if it's MAC or Dior then that's understandable. I am just glad I only use eyeliner and BB cream- saving money every day :tongue:

I wear Clinique, bareminerals and Benefit.. I'm allergic to most of the lower-range brands and don't want to risk it :frown:

Ahh.. if only my skin were good enough to get away with just that :tongue:.
Original post by Bassetts
So if they wore makeup, they'd find it easier?

Depends how you wear it.
Reply 77
Are you kidding me that's like so unmanly.
I wear Clinique, bareminerals and Benefit.. I'm allergic to most of the lower-range brands and don't want to risk it :frown:

Ahh.. if only my skin were good enough to get away with just that :tongue:.

Ah Clinique's quite expensive! I think I am allergic to many deodorants but I cant think of any make up apart from an eye shadow which brought me out in a weirdly bumpy rash.
Hehe no my skin's not good but I don't get spots often and also I can't be bothered to make myself look pretty every day; it takes enough time with my hair (curly-boohoo)
Original post by puma21
From my experience it's the complete opposite. Men go for less attractive women whilst less attractive women go for more attractive men.

Nope. Men value looks much higher than women do, women value other attributes more to make up for this, such as resources/ power etc.

Because it's 'your experience' you're probably a little biased. Maybe my experience is too, but all of my friends who have boyfriends have boyfriends who are so much less attractive to them. I honestly feel like asking them 'why??!'. If I were to post pics I'm sure you'd agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending