The Student Room Group

Has Avril Lavigne crossed the line?

Wow. Everyone seems outraged by this video. Personally, I haven't seen anything too bad about it yet, perhaps because I haven't inspected it yet but I love how she disappeared off the radar for ten years and then came back pissing everyone off! She's got style, I like her.

Here's the video for those of you who haven't seen it

http://www.avrillavigne.com/us/news/hello-kitty-video

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I really don't understand what the big fuss is about! I like it :biggrin:
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
I really don't understand what the big fuss is about! I like it :biggrin:

Same! I think calling her 'a cross between skrillex and barbie' was VERY harsh and quite ironic seeing as they both have songs of the same name.
She's trending alongside Tony Blair, Andy Murray and William Shakespeare. Quite the motley crew...
Reply 5
Original post by Клейтон
Same! I think calling her 'a cross between skrillex and barbie' was VERY harsh and quite ironic seeing as they both have songs of the same name.

Meh, I can see why they said that, shaved side of the head (Skrillex has that too) pastel colours, dresses, outfits kinda barbie-ish, it's not that negative really, just an observation.

She's still cute though holy turd.
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Meh, I can see why they said that, shaved side of the head (Skrillex has that too) pastel colours, dresses, outfits kinda barbie-ish, it's not that negative really, just an observation.

She's still cute though holy turd.

I know but that's still no excuse to attack her like a vulture over it!
holy Jesus I'm close to being at the top of latest discussions, that's like the TSR equivalent of trending!!!
Admittedly I didn't watch more than a few seconds of the video - at my age all those colours are a bit of an assault on the senses - but I didn't see why it was in any way racist. It's exactly the sort of ridiculously kitsch portrayal of Japan that they do to us whenever they portray a Westerner in anime, Americans for example are always blond-haired, blue-eyed, wearing massive cowboy hats and called something like Johnny Joe Colt 45 McStetsonburg.

Despite the Twittersphere displaying their usual sanctimony, I got the impression this video had actually been removed more for its offensiveness to taste than anything else.

I'm not surprised that oaf Kroeger had a hand in creating this abortion. If the vision of perfection that is Avril had been left alone I'm sure it would have sounded as hosts of harp-wielding angels sent from God Himself.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't like the song (much prefer her old stuff), but I like the fact that she never gives a **** what anyone thinks or says about her!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm agreeing with bumble, but no matter what her style is she stayed true to her personality and I'm almost crying reading these articles

http://www.policymic.com/articles/88221/avril-lavigne-is-back-with-a-really-racist-music-video

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/avril-lavigne-hello-kitty-video-3445242
I was really expecting something outrageous throughout the whole video and couldn't even be bothered to finish watching it.

What line did she cross?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I was really expecting something outrageous throughout the whole video and couldn't even be bothered to finish watching it.

What line did she cross?

Posted from TSR Mobile

The racist one. <<(([[{{//ALLEGEDLY\\}}]]))>>
Original post by Клейтон
holy Jesus I'm close to being at the top of latest discussions, that's like the TSR equivalent of trending!!!

:indiff:
Original post by Клейтон
The racist one. <<(([[{{//ALLEGEDLY\\}}]]))>>

I don't see it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Клейтон
I'm agreeing with bumble, but no matter what her style is she stayed true to her personality and I'm almost crying reading these articles

http://www.policymic.com/articles/88221/avril-lavigne-is-back-with-a-really-racist-music-video

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/avril-lavigne-hello-kitty-video-3445242

I think they're being a bit ridiculous about it. I really don't think she's crossed the line and I don't understand how it's racist :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
I don't see it...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Neither do I, I just wanted to know what everyone thought. But you know now people read too much into thin.. HOLY J-CRIS IM TRENDING!! .....TSR STYLE
AND IM ON POPULAR!!!!!! Well... The thread is. We should make a campaign to be it reinstated back onto YouTube.
Original post by Клейтон
Neither do I, I just wanted to know what everyone thought. But you know now people read too much into thin.. HOLY J-CRIS IM TRENDING!! .....TSR STYLE

Lol, you really need to get a life. I mean this in the nicest way possible and I suggest you see this as constructive criticism.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This is a blatant publicity stunt, everyone is talking about this mediocre song just because it's Avril Lavigne. Lavigne and Kroger aren't stupid, they know most people hate their music, so by getting the haters to talk about it everyone else starts watching it, and then some people think 'its not that bad' and buy it, easy and cheap publicity that's very effective.

Also Avril is more popular in Asia than the US I believe so it makes sense that she'd play to that market where she is still loved.

Quick Reply

Latest