The Student Room Group

Is Nemanja Matic one of the best holding midfielders?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
I think he used holding midfielder in the wrong context, they're very interchangeable terms though as they're both no.6 players.

Should have said defensive midfielders. But most of these no.6 midfielders can do a job as a defensive midfielder(see Gerrard with his tackling even though he plays like a half back when Liverpool are playing possession) or as a holding/regista(see Matic/Luiz, they put in tackles as CMs and are aggressive but are also very good at playing the ball out of midfield and being in the holding role and staying solid in position)

Anyway I'm going to put a name out, the best Regista for the next 10 years won't be Verratti, it'll be Ruben Pardo and Illaramendi.

Yeah, that's fair. Its really interesting to see the evolving of the holing role. The last decade was all about the Makelele's, Gattuso's, Mascherano's etc...most top sides had the "water carrier". Now, we're starting to see a player with a better passing range in that role.

Seeing as Verrati is already doing the business in a top side, Pardo (haven't see much of him) and Illaramendi have a lot to catch up to IMO. My tip would be Jorginho, I've been astounded by his displays for Napoli since he signed, phenomenal talent.
Original post by elpistolero7
Yeah, that's fair. Its really interesting to see the evolving of the holing role. The last decade was all about the Makelele's, Gattuso's, Mascherano's etc...most top sides had the "water carrier". Now, we're starting to see a player with a better passing range in that role.

Seeing as Verrati is already doing the business in a top side, Pardo (haven't see much of him) and Illaramendi have a lot to catch up to IMO. My tip would be Jorginho, I've been astounded by his displays for Napoli since he signed, phenomenal talent.

Pardo has been doing the business at times this season. He's 21 years old but he already has the passing ability of Alonso, he needs to work a little bit more on his positioning, but I think he's in the top 3 currently of best 21 and under DLPs. He played very well against United this season too.

Illaramendi is a top player but just needs more gametime to show it. I don't think Madrid were initially the right club for him but as Alonso wanes he'll shine. We'll see how he develops.
Original post by jam277
Pardo has been doing the business at times this season. He's 21 years old but he already has the passing ability of Alonso, he needs to work a little bit more on his positioning, but I think he's in the top 3 currently of best 21 and under DLPs. He played very well against United this season too.

Illaramendi is a top player but just needs more gametime to show it. I don't think Madrid were initially the right club for him but as Alonso wanes he'll shine. We'll see how he develops.

Well I haven't seen much of Pardo as I've become far more keen on German football than Spanish this year. Emre Can at Leverkusen's another great talent in this role, Bayern youth product who they have a buy back clause on. That's what they need, another upcoming world class talent in midfield. Greedy ****ers.

Illara - I agree, I think he's a special talent and will replace Alonso in the side eventually, well unless they go and spend 40 million on Kroos and 60 on Vidal/Pogba which is always a possibility with Madrid.

As a Liverpool fan I'm extremely impressed with how Gerrard has taken to this role this season - I think it may help him play at good level for another few seasons, which is great for the club. He clearly doesn't have the legs to do what he did before :frown:.
only goalkeepers can hold the ball
Reply 24
Original post by elpistolero7
Well I haven't seen much of Pardo as I've become far more keen on German football than Spanish this year. Emre Can at Leverkusen's another great talent in this role, Bayern youth product who they have a buy back clause on. That's what they need, another upcoming world class talent in midfield. Greedy ****ers.

Illara - I agree, I think he's a special talent and will replace Alonso in the side eventually, well unless they go and spend 40 million on Kroos and 60 on Vidal/Pogba which is always a possibility with Madrid.

As a Liverpool fan I'm extremely impressed with how Gerrard has taken to this role this season - I think it may help him play at good level for another few seasons, which is great for the club. He clearly doesn't have the legs to do what he did before :frown:.

I like Can too. Great runs, dribbling, passing, physique. He has to work on his ego and temper still as he tends to be too individualistc sometimes and goes a bit over the top with his fouls, but considering he's only 20, he's great. And he's so versatile, has played in almost all positions this season and fared well in most of them. Unfortunately I expect Bayern to buy him back too, even though they already nicked Rode, but I suppose that just to annoy BVB as they were interested in him.

Illarra has joined Real at the wrong time I think. With Khedira back and potentially not leaving in the summer and Alonso still having a few years in him, it will take a bit until he will get the gametime he deserves & needs. Not ideal for his development, but then joining Real is rarely a great move for young players. He should have stayed at Sociedad for one more season, they'd have an amazing team with him and probably would have been able to compete for 4th longer.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest