The Student Room Group

Thermal doubt

When we supply energy at the same power, then theoretically, why does the solid take lesser time to increase temperature than liquid?
Something about rigidity of molecular structure - less movement means less energy can be transferred - but I'm no expert lol, it's probably some variation of that principle I'd imagine.
Original post by Aaradhana
When we supply energy at the same power, then theoretically, why does the solid take lesser time to increase temperature than liquid?

What solid?
What liquid?
How much solid?
How much liquid?
How are you supplying the heat?
Is heat being lost to the surroundings?

You need to ask the right questions.
Have you heard of specific heat capacity?
The value of this for the material determines the energy required, together with the mass of material and temperature.

If you are attempting a specific question, please post that question.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
The substance is pure and is supplied with the same amount of heat throughout. It is the same mass of substance that is melted and then boiled and though I know that looking at the specific heat capacity one can easily say that the temperature of say, the solid state of the substance will increase more rapidly than the liquid state of the substance but I am talking about a general case of any solid. It's an ideal situation so no heat is lost.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Aaradhana
The substance is pure and is supplied with the same amount of heat throughout. It is the same mass of substance that is melted and then boiled and though I know that looking at the specific heat capacity one can easily say that the temperature of say, the solid state of the substance will increase more rapidly than the liquid state of the substance but I am talking about a general case of any solid. It's an ideal situation so no heat is lost.

So to try to understand your question
Are you asking why, for a material, the specific heat capacity of the solid state is lower than the specific heat capacity of the liquid?
Reply 5
Original post by Stonebridge
So to try to understand your question
Are you asking why, for a material, the specific heat capacity of the solid state is lower than the specific heat capacity of the liquid?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest