The Student Room Group

Are you sick of hearing about the war...?

As per the subject line.

I would imagine that most people on these forums are in the teens to mid twenties age group. My message is really for those who live in the UK but others feel free to chip in.

I would imagine that for most of the youth of today, talk of the first and second world war has about as much relevance as talk of the battle of Bosworth field or Hastings.

Its something that happened long long before any of you were born or thought of.

I would imagine that most of you were not even born when the Falklands war kicked off.

And yet the media and the system continually rams it down our throats with commemorations of everything under the sun that has even the most tenuous link to the war.

The latest i heard on the radio was some guff about commemorating the START of some part of the war or other !

Please FFS UK..move on

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I find it interesting.
Original post by arson_fire
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Nearly 100 million people died in a 30 year period that shaped the modern world. If that`s not worth a commemoration then what is?

Was going to chip in here, but you really did just sum it up perfectly.
They do over do it a bit. Sure, teach about it and that but surely there's a limit to how many programmes and specials etc that the media can make?! It can be interesting but I don't find it very interesting myself.
Reply 4
It teaches us that no matter how strong our differences are, we should never ever allow that kind of thing to be repeated. I don't think you understand quite the scale of the atrocity. To allow it to fade from the back of our minds would be tragic.

The second world war was the deadliest single cause of loss of human life in our entire 50,000 year history on this planet.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by arson_fire
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

Nearly 100 million people died in a 30 year period that shaped the modern world. If that`s not worth a commemoration then what is?

But with all due respect, isnt that just like saying "well if it wasnt for the war, you'd be speaking German"?

As an aside, i do wish i could speak German as it would have helped enormously on my pre Christmas sojourn to Berlin.

But surely the quote has little meaning save to illustrate that most of the worlds population must be suffering dementia since had they remembered all the wars predating for example, the first world war.then we wouldnt have had a world war mk1.

And again, dementia set in post 1920 otherwise we wouldnt have had world war mk2
Reply 6
We might not have been alive/might not actively remember it, but are you so arrogant as to believe we're the only people who exist?
The likelihood is you know someone who was directly affected by at least WW2.
On the contrary, it is deeply relevant today, and remembering is not only of the upmost importance, but actually rather enlightening and interesting.
Reply 8
Original post by james1211
It teaches us that no matter how strong our differences are, we should never ever allow that kind of thing to be repeated. I don't think you understand quite the scale of the atrocity. To allow it to fade from the back of our minds would be tragic.

The second world war was the deadliest single cause of loss of human life in our entire 50,000 year history on this planet.

But it surely will fade just like anything else.

For example, and i include myself in this, how many people alive today are fully up to speed on the history and casualties of for example The First Anglo Burmese War of 1824 , one of three..another apparent lapse of memory.

Apparently it kicked off on the 5th of March and yet i didnt see anything in the British Media listing commemorations. Admittedly i might have missed it as i would have been relaxing in the sun on holiday on that date.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
We might not have been alive/might not actively remember it, but are you so arrogant as to believe we're the only people who exist?
The likelihood is you know someone who was directly affected by at least WW2.

Well I will admit I'm not of an age to remember WW1/2 but i do remember the Falklands war. When it kicked off the first thought to cross my mind was WTF are the Argies doing off the coast of Scotland ? Is it some kind of fisheries dispute reminiscent of the COD wars we had with Iceland (heard of that one?)

I am sure i was not alone in my ignorance of the location and indeed the existence of the Falklands.

Incidentally, the Falklands War kicked off on 2 April 1982.

Yet again i do not recall any commemorations muted in the media for this one.

And yet if you happened to be alive at the time, it was one of the most harrowing wars i have witnessed and why? Because it was played out in a modern era. There were news reporters on the ground. You could see Argentinian war jets bombing our Royal Navy ships moored like sitting ducks,you could watch them burn and you could see casualties in the water,dying and injured live on the six o clock news.
We're also still feeling the effects 100 years on:
WW1 - The harshness of the Versailles treaty ultimately led to:
Hitler and WW2 - The development of the nuke and the splitting of Germany led to:
The cold war - The funding of the Afghan Taliban by the west to prevent the spread of communism led to:
The current war in Afghanistan.
I'm sick of hearing about Crimea.
Original post by Limpopo
Well I will admit I'm not of an age to remember WW1/2 but i do remember the Falklands war. When it kicked off the first thought to cross my mind was WTF are the Argies doing off the coast of Scotland ? Is it some kind of fisheries dispute reminiscent of the COD wars we had with Iceland (heard of that one?)

I am sure i was not alone in my ignorance of the location and indeed the existence of the Falklands.

Incidentally, the Falklands War kicked off on 2 April 1982.

Yet again i do not recall any commemorations muted in the media for this one.

And yet if you happened to be alive at the time, it was one of the most harrowing wars i have witnessed and why? Because it was played out in a modern era. There were news reporters on the ground. You could see Argentinian war jets bombing our Royal Navy ships moored like sitting ducks,you could watch them burn and you could see casualties in the water,dying and injured live on the six o clock news.

Then you must have slept through the entire 25th anniversary commemorations that happened a few years ago, and the more recent 30th anniversary commemorations. They definitely both occurred.

And I am well aware of the Cod Wars (despite not living through them) though feel you should write 'Cod' and not 'COD' or some juvenile will think you're writing about Call of Duty.

If you don't want to get caught up in commemoration then fine. You don't have to. You can change the channel or read a different article when that stuff is being talked about. You've clearly already done so with regards to Falklands rememberence, but some people do want to. They want to remember the conflict, they want to commemorate friends, relatives or even just recognise the sacrifice of the unknown soldier. Why is that a bad thing?
(edited 9 years ago)
I did a module on post-war memory of World War Two. Was really interesting, the war seems more relevant now than it was in the 70s and 80s. Personally I think it is important to remember the absolute madness that was WW2 so we aren't doomed to repeat it. Also children these days have a shockingly bad knowledge of what happened during the war, one of them didn't even know what Stalingrad was. Surely more commemorations can only help people learn more about it.
Reply 14
I'm not saying that studying armed conflict is a bad thing. It can be studied as part of a more structured format or it can be just out of interest in much the same way as you would read anything that is of interest.

I dont think that its a valaid argument to say..well if it isnt your thing, dont watch it or dont take part/ get involved.

I dont smoke dope but i can still have a perfectly valid view on its consumption by others.

Sure we can be aware of it but please lets not have the state,the system and the media ramming every minute anniversary down our throats. When will it stop? Will the UK inhabitants still commemorate the D Day landings in the year 2800 ? I doubt it assuming there is anyone here to bother with it.

It will have disappeared into obscurity just like so many past wars.

Part of me thinks that it is indeed the state machine which promotes such repetitive commemorations.

and why? Because it needs to perpetuate the fertile ground upon which to raise future foot soldiers who they can send to die in some distant conflict which has bugger all to do with them as an individual.

I know of two family members who perished in WW".

One has no known grave and his bones lie somewhere buried in the North African desert. He has probably been eaten by scavengers by now. His name is mis spelt on some concrete edifice somewhere in Africa.

The other was 19, his bones lie within the innards of a WW2" ship which lies at the bottom of the sea just off the coast of a southern Italian port.

Tell me what they died for and what did they join the conflict for?

Would you,as a youngster growing up in the year 2014 go off and fight in a war just because it was somehow expected of you?

I know i wouldnt.

No..let is limit commemorations to the annual day of remembrance which i think is more fitting an appropriate.
Original post by Limpopo
Part of me thinks that it is indeed the state machine which promotes such repetitive commemorations.

Except, it isn't.

99% of the time the events are brought into the consciousness by charities related to the thing, rather than any 'state machine'. In actual fact, the only one that it could be argued the state gets behind is the annual day of rememberence, which it appears you have no problem with in the first place.
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
Except, it isn't.

99% of the time the events are brought into the consciousness by charities related to the thing, rather than any 'state machine'. In actual fact, the only one that it could be argued the state gets behind is the annual day of rememberence, which it appears you have no problem with in the first place.

No ..I'm fine with the annual single event in November. Its appropriate,suitably succinct and encompasses all conflicts.

As you say that most of it is not part of state machination/manipulation, i may start my own charity. I shall call it The Bosworth memorial trust and it is timely for I shall attend in the appropriate location on 22nd August this year and see if anyone else turns up.

I shall have to check my work rota.

Its a Friday so potentially, if its sunny, enough people will nip off from work early on some pretence or other and we can all perhaps share ice creams and real ale whilst lamenting the losses on both sides.

Perhaps the sealed knot society will turn up for a re-enactment?
Original post by Limpopo
No ..I'm fine with the annual single event in November. Its appropriate,suitably succinct and encompasses all conflicts.

As you say that most of it is not part of state machination/manipulation, i may start my own charity. I shall call it The Bosworth memorial trust and it is timely for I shall attend in the appropriate location on 22nd August this year and see if anyone else turns up.

I shall have to check my work rota.

Its a Friday so potentially, if its sunny, enough people will nip off from work early on some pretence or other and we can all perhaps share ice creams and real ale whilst lamenting the losses on both sides.

Perhaps the sealed knot society will turn up for a re-enactment?

People yesterday were, instead of recognising St George's Day, celebrating Shakespeare's 450th birthday.
Since Richard III was so recently found, bringing Bosworth and it's aftermath back into people's thoughts, I think you'll find there are people who want to recognise it. Despite it being almost 630 years ago.
being taught about the second world war is vital - it's our history and if you stop teaching it , no one will remember the lessons we're supposed to have learnt

for example , all this **** on the TV about the ukraine and putin trying to build up soviet russia AND NO ONE IS FREAKING THE **** OUT. it's hitler all over again , and we're all trying to appease putin , not really doing much , not really broadcasting much , not really anything , and it's scaring me man.

putin is out to dominate everything just like Stalin and we're bloody headed for another war ahhh

and i know everyone's trying to avoid another war but everything's so delicate and really what can we do?
Original post by hotliketea
being taught about the second world war is vital - it's our history and if you stop teaching it , no one will remember the lessons we're supposed to have learnt

for example , all this **** on the TV about the ukraine and putin trying to build up soviet russia AND NO ONE IS FREAKING THE **** OUT. it's hitler all over again , and we're all trying to appease putin , not really doing much , not really broadcasting much , not really anything , and it's scaring me man.

putin is out to dominate everything just like Stalin and we're bloody headed for another war ahhh

and i know everyone's trying to avoid another war but everything's so delicate and really what can we do?

Calm down:wink:

Putin knows he would get slaughtered in a war with NATO. He is not stupid, he won't attack or invade the west.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending