The Student Room Group

Anyone think they'll never get a girlfriend?

I'm 24 used to have a lot of confidence and used to date the hottest girl at school ( seriously ) but when things didn't work out I lost a lot of my confidence. I'm too scared to even date a girl and have had sex only once in the past 3 years. The fact that I can't go on dates anymore is one of the main reasons I think I'll live the rest of my life alone. Anyone else feel like this? How old are you and why don't you think you'll get a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Never say never.
I'm 23. While I've been in 2 relationships before, it turned out neither of the guys actually liked me. They were just with me because they didn't want to be single and were waiting for someone better. I don't think I'll ever get a boyfriend again, because obviously guys just don't seem to like me in that way :frown:
Well, I've never had a bf but given past experiences I'm terrified of the idea of having one. But, I'm only 19, plenty of time.

Ive been asked a few times, but, I have a lot of time being taken off my hands so I'd feel really selfish for taking one on and then not being able to to give them any time.

But honestly, I'm not really bothered by it.

You just need to pick up your confidence again, stop thinking about it so much and you never know what will happen :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
There's nothing we can say to you other than you've simply got to get back on the horse.

So instead am going to say you should try a 'safer' approach. If you tried something like Tinder or online dating you could talk to the person for a while before it becoming something? I've never used it but I have friends who are very shy and seem to get alot of dates from it. Not that they work out, but it'd be a good way for you to get your confidence back :redface:
I genuinely hope I don't. Not for 5-10 years anyway. Got more important things to think about... like myself for example. Call me selfish but I haven't got the time or inclination to want to spend time and effort on a girlfriend.
Original post by Anonymous
There's nothing we can say to you other than you've simply got to get back on the horse.

So instead am going to say you should try a 'safer' approach. If you tried something like Tinder or online dating you could talk to the person for a while before it becoming something? I've never used it but I have friends who are very shy and seem to get alot of dates from it. Not that they work out, but it'd be a good way for you to get your confidence back :redface:

All my dating opportunities have come from online dating but I turned then down. I can't tell you what it is I'm afraid of just I suppose spending the entire evening with someone new seems like a struggle. I've tried online dating for years on and off and whenever I get close to a girl I have to let her down. Once a few years ago I met a girl at work and she asked me out on a date and I went to the meeting place but she didn't turn up. This gives me a bit of hope but whas the chances of a girl asking me out on a date again? Fat chance I'd say
Never. I'm selfish on every level. It's not something I'd ever change, though, because I prefer my own activities over considering those of others.
Reply 8
Well it isnt obligatory to "get" or have a GF or BF. There is much to be said for being single and indeed the same to be said for being partnered.

I think its a lot easier to move from..

single>partnered than it is to move the other way.

The other thing is of course that you dont just "get" a BF/GF . Im sure its just semantics and you realise this.

Real worthwhile relationships have a tendancy to sneak up on you. Other than that ,if your not prepared to wait well join a good quality on line dating agency.

My advice to females is to consider dating older guys than you normally would.

You will often find they are much more mature and appreciative of you. A lot of young guys are just collecting scalps and thinking with their pants.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yep and I'm not complaining
I'm 23 and never had one.
Reply 11
Original post by Bassetts
I'm 23 and never had one.

Do all your posts start with "I'm 23 and and never"?
Original post by Lawrenc spa
I'm 24 used to have a lot of confidence and used to date the hottest girl at school ( seriously ) but when things didn't work out I lost a lot of my confidence. I'm too scared to even date a girl and have had sex only once in the past 3 years. The fact that I can't go on dates anymore is one of the main reasons I think I'll live the rest of my life alone. Anyone else feel like this? How old are you and why don't you think you'll get a girlfriend/boyfriend?

Original post by I love shopping
I'm 23. While I've been in 2 relationships before, it turned out neither of the guys actually liked me. They were just with me because they didn't want to be single and were waiting for someone better. I don't think I'll ever get a boyfriend again, because obviously guys just don't seem to like me in that way :frown:

i kind of feel sorry for you guys and i know what you mean, but you shouldn't give up hope. when you like someone just show them all your charms and let them decide if they want to be with you. everyone is liked by someone don't you think?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by james1211
Do all your posts start with "I'm 23 and and never"?
I'm turning back into the self-pitying poster that I was 6 months ago. :o:

What on earth are you scared of?
I do.
There is a guy at my work whos in his 50s and only had a gf in this 40s. I really dont want to be like him.
Reply 17

I'll never get a girlfriend because i'm female but i will get a boyfriend! :colone:
I'm in my mid twenties now and i've reluctantly accepted nothing is going to happen. I have a lot going for me (a degree, good job, moved out, lots of friends, well off financially etc) but i'm not good looking and don't know the first thing about how to flirt/pull/tell if someone is interested. I've never been on a date, only ever kissed a few people and that's when they made all the effort.

Not sure if the fact i'm surrounded by girls wherever I go is part of the problem. All my closest friends are girls and there aren't many guys where I work. So I find it really easy to make friends, because that's the only thing that crosses my mind. As you can guess i'm not your typical ''lad'' and I never will be.

It's really frustrating when everyone you know is seeing someone but I can't see an alternative.
Yeah I do. But I know there's two main reasons for that; my looks, and my personality. And I know I'm just going to have to learn to live with it :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest