The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Why do you think the University of Liverpool gets so much flak?

I was just wondering what you guys thought about the general attitude towards UoL. I do think it's silly to ceaselessly fret over league tables and such, but it seems as though UoL has a bit of a poor reputation in the eyes of certain people. The Guardian don't seem to rate it very highly, for instance. I understand that there's a disparity between the quality of research and, say, the standards of undergraduate teaching. Quite a few academics seem to view undergrad lecturing as a bit of a chore, to be honest.

Obviously, league table research methodologies are sketchy, at best. 'Student satisfaction' is one which seems somewhat spurious, to me. A couple of unis (one of which was Kingston, unless I'm wrong, which is very possible) have been caught trying to abuse this statistic.

That being said, considering the standard of research and amount of Nobel laureates the uni's churned out compared to other universities, as well as other factors, why do some people turn their noses up at its mention? Is it the reputation of the city, or is there any credible basis for this sort of criticism? Unless things turn around in 2015, it seems as though it's going to keep dropping in the league tables. In the eyes of employers, do you think the metric of league tables makes a huge difference?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I can understand that student satisfaction may have been low these last few years, thanks in part to all the renovation works that either needed doing or that were in progress. The student union has had no permanent premises for the last year or so. Some of the teaching buildings left a lot to be desired. Very little on-campus accommodation (now a thing of the past) made the central campus soulless.
But with a £600m revamp, I am sure that the difference will start to be seen in the league tables. Ok, new buildings and facilities (voted best in the UK by the Guardian, btw (http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/feb/27/guardian-university-awards-2013-winners) don't directly make the standard of undergrad teaching better, but they should start attracting better academic staff who may have been put off in the past by outdated conditions.

The conditions awaiting students in Sept 2014 will be better than at any time in the Uni's history, and this is bound to filter down into the student satisfaction rating.

As you say, some unis cheat the league tables. One example is by offering foundation years to BCC or CCC applicants when the publicly announced Year 1 entry requirement is AAB. And some graduating students must have their arms twisted to give favourable satisfaction responses to the pollsters, claiming that this will raise the image of their uni and, by consequence, increase the perceived value of their degree.

I personally was highly impressed when I visited the School of Engineering, the town of Liverpool just blew me away, and the main campus is now modern, architecturally varied and with a good balance of facilities / halls of residence. I can't see why you think it could fall in the rankings in the future.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
There is a great deal of snobbery involved in University selection. And Southerners in particular making assumptions about what they think Liverpool (both Uni and city) is like. Say 'Manchester' and that is fine apparently (even with Surrey public school okay-yahs) but mention 'Liverpool' and they all start making silly remarks about the Beatles and trying to put on a Liverpool accent. If Liverpool had the same 'reputation' for partying as Newcastle or Leeds then that in itself would make it fashionable and applicants (especially Southerners) would flock there. If it stuck its entrance requirements up to A*AA then they'd all be gagging to get in there as well.

If you compare Liverpool to somewhere like Bristol they are actually very similar Unis - RG, strung out campus in centre of town, lots of different sorts of buildings, big science/tech focus but good for Humanities/Soc Sci too. Etc etc. However, one is perceived as 'posh' and the other 'working class'. However if this keeps the over-privileged in Manchester or Bristol or wherever that's fine. Liverpool is full of 'normal' people - lets keep it that way.
Reply 3
Original post by returnmigrant
There is a great deal of snobbery involved in University selection. And Southerners in particular making assumptions about what they think Liverpool (both Uni and city) is like. Say 'Manchester' and that is fine apparently (even with Surrey public school okay-yahs) but mention 'Liverpool' and they all start making silly remarks about the Beatles and trying to put on a Liverpool accent. If Liverpool had the same 'reputation' for partying as Newcastle or Leeds then that in itself would make it fashionable and applicants (especially Southerners) would flock there. If it stuck its entrance requirements up to A*AA then they'd all be gagging to get in there as well.

If you compare Liverpool to somewhere like Bristol they are actually very similar Unis - RG, strung out campus in centre of town, lots of different sorts of buildings, big science/tech focus but good for Humanities/Soc Sci too. Etc etc. However, one is perceived as 'posh' and the other 'working class'. However if this keeps the over-privileged in Manchester or Bristol or wherever that's fine. Liverpool is full of 'normal' people - lets keep it that way.

I suppose that makes sense. I've never actually considered how inundated a lot of unis are with 'rah'-types (Exeter is a big centre for these, or so I've heard). The phrase 'Oxbridge-reject uni' gets thrown around a lot, with reference to places such as Bristol and Durham. I'm not in a position to comment on the veracity of that accusation, but I do have to say I'm glad there aren't any uppity twerps at Liv.

On a completely random note, I just accidentally clicked on the Durham stalking page, and some people in the table have in excess of 8 As/A*s at A level. Just how?
Original post by Iridescenzo
In the eyes of employers, do you think the metric of league tables makes a huge difference?

No. Most main stream employers (outside banking, economics and law) don't read League Tables and don't sift job applications depending on what Uni you went to or where it was on any rankings/league tables. Its actually only school-leavers and their teachers who are obsessed about League Tables or 'RG'. Even for academic jobs not much notice is taken of where you did your first degree - its your overall academic/career profile and your individuality they regard, not the heading on your degree certificate. Quite why school-leavers get so worked up about League Table positions is beyond me - it really is irrelevant.
Reply 5
Original post by returnmigrant
No. Most main stream employers (outside banking, economics and law) don't read League Tables and don't sift job applications depending on what Uni you went to or where it was on any rankings/league tables. Its actually only school-leavers and their teachers who are obsessed about League Tables or 'RG'. Even for academic jobs not much notice is taken of where you did your first degree - its your overall academic/career profile and your individuality they regard, not the heading on your degree certificate. Quite why school-leavers get so worked up about League Table positions is beyond me - it really is irrelevant.

Eh. I suppose. That Guardian article about Sussex dropping in the tables has a lot of vitriolic comments decrying the methodologies involved. That being said, the 54 Liverpool has is a bit, well, blegh. It doesn't feel nice to be pigeon-holed like that. Did you go to Bristol?
I am considering Upool, but concerned about what this post is about. Lpool has a long history, and has the RG name to boast; but, beyond that, it worries me that Lpool is slipping in the tables. I know that league tables shouldn't be looked at as a whole, where a slightly different calculation can produce very different results. However, when I look at a specific factor like employability, the score is undesirably low.

Can anyone allay the worries? Is Lpool an old university that is sliding in prestige and reputation?
Forget 'rankings', 'prestige' and League Tables. Employability - this includes 'working in Tescos' so what does that tell you about those sort of statistics - yes, its utter rubbish. Overall, this sort of nebulous nonsense is no way to choose a University. As you have observed Lpool is a well established 'sensible' Uni and anything else you've heard/read is essentially snobbery, ie. its perceived by Home Counties public school types as 'northern'.

Look at course content - is it what you want to study for 3/4 years? Go to an Open Day and have a look at both the Uni and Liverpool - is it somewhere that feels 'right' for you? There are Open Days coming up in June and September - book early, they are always popular : http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/openday/
Reply 8
Original post by Iridescenzo
I was just wondering what you guys thought about the general attitude towards UoL. I do think it's silly to ceaselessly fret over league tables and such, but it seems as though UoL has a bit of a poor reputation in the eyes of certain people. The Guardian don't seem to rate it very highly, for instance. I understand that there's a disparity between the quality of research and, say, the standards of undergraduate teaching. Quite a few academics seem to view undergrad lecturing as a bit of a chore, to be honest.

Obviously, league table research methodologies are sketchy, at best. 'Student satisfaction' is one which seems somewhat spurious, to me. A couple of unis (one of which was Kingston, unless I'm wrong, which is very possible) have been caught trying to abuse this statistic.

That being said, considering the standard of research and amount of Nobel laureates the uni's churned out compared to other universities, as well as other factors, why do some people turn their noses up at its mention? Is it the reputation of the city, or is there any credible basis for this sort of criticism? Unless things turn around in 2015, it seems as though it's going to keep dropping in the league tables. In the eyes of employers, do you think the metric of league tables makes a huge difference?

I've just finished the University at Liverpool and although I didn't really enjoy or make my most out of my time there (which had nothing to do with the university itself) I felt that it was a brilliant place to study. Nothing was ever too much for any of my tutors and they were all very credible academics. One was a former drug policy adviser for the UN, another was a frequent guest on BBC news talking about Islamaphobia, another was the director of the democratic audit and was also a frequent guest on BBC news. I mean, that was just to mention a few, but it was obvious that every single lecturer was a credible academic and in lectures, I often felt quite.. in awe of them? They all had so many interesting things to say about their work that it was never boring. I understand that my experience can't speak for the other 30,000 students who attend this university, but I personally have only positive things to say about my time there :smile: I think it is a fantastic university, and the new renovations over the past few years have been AMAZING.
Reply 9
Original post by Tim06
I can understand that student satisfaction may have been low these last few years, thanks in part to all the renovation works that either needed doing or that were in progress. The student union has had no permanent premises for the last year or so. Some of the teaching buildings left a lot to be desired. Very little on-campus accommodation (now a thing of the past) made the central campus soulless.
But with a £600m revamp, I am sure that the difference will start to be seen in the league tables. Ok, new buildings and facilities (voted best in the UK by the Guardian, btw (http://www.theguardian.com/higher-education-network/blog/2013/feb/27/guardian-university-awards-2013-winners) don't directly make the standard of undergrad teaching better, but they should start attracting better academic staff who may have been put off in the past by outdated conditions.

The conditions awaiting students in Sept 2014 will be better than at any time in the Uni's history, and this is bound to filter down into the student satisfaction rating.

As you say, some unis cheat the league tables. One example is by offering foundation years to BCC or CCC applicants when the publicly announced Year 1 entry requirement is AAB. And some graduating students must have their arms twisted to give favourable satisfaction responses to the pollsters, claiming that this will raise the image of their uni and, by consequence, increase the perceived value of their degree.

I personally was highly impressed when I visited the School of Engineering, the town of Liverpool just blew me away, and the main campus is now modern, architecturally varied and with a good balance of facilities / halls of residence. I can't see why you think it could fall in the rankings in the future.

I agree, with the changes I've seen over the past few months, I'm certain that the universities reputation will only go up.
Original post by showtime42
I am considering Upool, but concerned about what this post is about. Lpool has a long history, and has the RG name to boast; but, beyond that, it worries me that Lpool is slipping in the tables. I know that league tables shouldn't be looked at as a whole, where a slightly different calculation can produce very different results. However, when I look at a specific factor like employability, the score is undesirably low.

Can anyone allay the worries? Is Lpool an old university that is sliding in prestige and reputation?

I don't understand this whole thing about employability stats. I mean, it's obvious that a degree from say Liverpool Hope University may not be as impressive as a degree from Oxford, to an employer. But as long as you're in a university which has SOME credibility (which the University of Liverpool most definitely does) then I think it's up to the individual student to work hard for a first class degree, to go out and find work experience and to apply for jobs after graduation. So, personally, I wouldn't focus so much on such statistics, I'd concentrate more on the student satisfaction and what you think of the university/city when you visit.
I researched about University of Liverpool before I actually applied. Talking to current students as well past students (including my own a level philosophy teacher), this university is actually amazing. I read somewhere though that because Liverpool is lenient with grades sometimes as well as it being ABB for most courses unlike AAA OR AAB (usual RG requirements), it gets a lot negative light. Its a great university and is prestigious. With the latest renovations and improvements to facilities, the University is getting better and better :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending