The Student Room Group

*MEGATHREAD* - UKCAT 2015 Entry Discussion Megathread

Poll

What did you get in your UKCAT?

UKCAT 2016 entry discussion HERE.<-- Please post questions in this thread as they'll get a response there :smile:

UKCAT discussion for 2015 entry

This is the second thread for all discussion of the UKCAT for 2013 entry applications to medicine.
The first thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=667831

What is the UKCAT?

The UKCAT stands for the United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test and is an admissions test used by the majority of medical schools. The test is sat between 5 July and 7 October and should be taken by applicants who are planning to apply to medical school in the same year. The test takes about two hours and tests mental aptitude and ability and is not a test of knowledge. It is not possible to revise for the exam, however it is perfectly possible to practice. It is made up of four sections which each test different things: Quantitative Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning, Decision Analysis and Verbal Reasoning. Each section is scored between 500 and 900, which leads to an overall UKCAT average score of between 500 and 900. The majority of applicants will score between 600 and 700, with approximately 620 being the average.

More Info

How do medical schools use it?

The UKCAT is used differently by different medical schools. Some medical schools hardly use the test at all, some medical schools look at the average score and some medical schools look at each individual sub-section score. Broadly, medical schools can either: 1) not use it for any significant part of their admissions procedure, 2) look at the average/sub-section score as part of an applicant's overall application or 3) rank applicants using their UKCAT score, and invite the top x% to interview.

More Info

Important Information

Key Dates

Registration Opens: 01 May 2014
Testing Begins: 03 July 2014
Registration Deadline: 21 September 2014
Bursary Application Deadline: 21 September 2014
Exemption Application Deadline: 21 September 2014
Last Testing Date: 05 October 2014

Key Costs

Tests taken in the EU between 3 July 2014 - 31 August 2014: £65.00
Tests taken in the EU between 1 September 2014 - 5 October 2014: £80
Tests taken outside the EU: £100

More information on bursaries

FAQ

Q: Do we need to put that we've done our UKCAT/or our score on UCAS?
A: There's no need. UKCAT will send your scores off to the universities you're applying to that need it.

Q: Do we get a calculator?
A: Yes. A simple on-screen calculator will be made available to you to assist you in the quantitative reasoning section. To access this you will need to click on the icon in the top left hand side of your screen.

Q: Do we have anything to write on?
A: Yes. You will be given a double sided whiteboard with a special pen to write with. There is usually no eraser available so taking some tissues with you might be useful.

Q: When should we arrive at the test centre?
A: You should arrive at least fifteen minutes before the exam to go through the formalities and prove your identity.

Q: What should we bring to the test centre?
A: You should bring to the test centre a printout of the email that you were sent confirming your test registration as well as photographic identification (see the list on the UKCAT website).

Q: What is the average score?
A: The average score for each subtest is 600. Most candidates will score between 500-700. If your score isn't as good as you would like, it's not the end of the road.

Q: Can we discuss the questions in the UKCAT once we've sat it?
A: No. You will sign something declaring that you agree not to.

Q: If I do badly can I take it again?
A: Nope, unfortunately not. You can only take the UKCAT once for each UCAS cycle so if you don't do as well as you'd have liked, you'll need to think carefully about where you are going to apply to.

Q: What book should I buy to practice from?
A: Various books have been recommended in the past:

Get into Medical School - 600 UKCAT Practice Questions. Includes Full Mock Exam, comprehensive tips, techniques and explanations, Olivier Picard, Laetitia Tighlit, Sami Tighlit, and David Phillips, ISC Medical, ISBN 1905812094

Passing the UK Clinical Aptitude Test (UKCAT) and BMAT 2009, Taylor, Hutton and Hutton, Learning Matters Ltd, ISBN 1844452840

How to Pass the UKCAT: Unbeatable Practice for Success in the 2009 United Kingdom Clinical Aptitude Test, Mike Byron and Jim Clayden, Kogan Page Ltd., ISBN 0749453338

(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Here are some articles written by me and my friends that some of you might find helpful:

10 Top UKCAT Tips

When should I take the UKCAT?

10 mistakes that students make on the UKCAT

Are BMAT/UKCAT preparation courses useful?

Good luck to everyone taking the exam!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Really not looking forward to this :/
Reply 3
Changes in the UKCAT look good this year!! Shame about the continuing confidence rating trial though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by em.d_4
Changes in the UKCAT look good this year!! Shame about the continuing confidence rating trial though

Posted from TSR Mobile

What changes?
I'm definitely going to keep an eye on this thread, I hopefully will be doing my UKCAT for entry in 2016 :smile: Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Bashur
What changes?

Timings on quantitative and decision :biggrin: oh and slight change to sjt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good Luck to everyone doing the test this year, don't start prep too early wait till after exams! But try and get your test done earlier to help you decide on where to apply. Get the 600Q book and maybe just browse through but nothing hardcore just yet! Don't ever lose hope because the mocks are much harder! Heres my initial reaction from doing the test last year (lol)

Spoiler

I feel very sorry for you because I understand how stupid of an exam it is but take it seriously because it goes a long way in strengthening an application!
Yeah, as RadioheadHermie above, did it last year and got 772.5 band 1 so i'm happy to give advice for anyone who needs it :biggrin:
But seriously don't start revising before your AS's and then give yourself about 4 weeks, that worked for me
Reply 9
Best advice is just to do lots of practice!
And my advice for the SJT? Don't bother even reading the scenario, it gives you too much to think about, and I got tired quickly, and by the time I read the answers, I had forgotten what it was about! hwhen I did practice questions I did worst.
When I just read the answer and selected the answer that seemed most obvious, I did well, and managed to get band 1 last year.
But everyone works differently, so test it out first and see if you work better like that!
Reply 10
If anyone has any useful resources that they have used in previous years, please please post in here to help future applicants! :smile:
Hey guys!

This thread has a *TONNE* of resources for UKCAT:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=621992
Reply 12
anyone booked their UKCAT date yet? I personally want to get it out of the way so might go for july-august dates.
Reply 13
Original post by DMED_07
anyone booked their UKCAT date yet? I personally want to get it out of the way so might go for july-august dates.

Im about to, availability at my centre is rapidly declining!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
For god sake book and do this early, if you wait till you're back at school the workload will make you cry.
Just booked mine for the 7th July, going to start studying 1st of June.
This will be my third time so I have ran out of materials to use, I dont know if its going to be any use to do the 600Qbook again since i remember most of the questions, especially the VR,

Any other resources.

Does Medify have different sets if question each time or is it different?

Basically I dont have much hope for the UKCAT just gonna give it shot then do the GAMSAT.
Reply 16
Original post by Ama2007
This will be my third time so I have ran out of materials to use, I dont know if its going to be any use to do the 600Qbook again since i remember most of the questions, especially the VR,

Any other resources.

Basically I dont have much hope for the UKCAT just gonna give it shot then do the GAMSAT.

My friend had emedica which he said wasnt as good as medium but worth a try of youre remembering questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ama2007

Any other resources.

I recommend emedica too, loads of questions.
Original post by Miel Purple
I recommend emedica too, loads of questions.

Its rubbish ,, i tried it last year
Original post by Ama2007

Any other resources.

If you're starting to run out of questions, UKCAT Crash Course might help - we've got a brand new question bank from dotMedic and have written our own questions with worked solutions too :smile:

Latest