The Student Room Group

Negotiating salary!

Hey everyone,

I had a pre-screening phone interview this morning, and really wasn't expecting to be directly asked what my salary expectations are so early on. I had thought about it before so gave a range but after hearing exactly what the role involves and doing more digging I think I quite badly undersold myself! I have no experience in negotiating salaries so it's new and scary territory.

From experience, does anyone think there will still be scope for negotiation if I get through to the next stage, or am I now pinned to a quite low pay range? I feel like an idiot!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
There is no contract yet, so it's still negotiable. Leave it be for now, and if you actually end up with an offer then that's the time to discuss remuneration.
Original post by Pies
Hey everyone,

I had a pre-screening phone interview this morning, and really wasn't expecting to be directly asked what my salary expectations are so early on. I had thought about it before so gave a range but after hearing exactly what the role involves and doing more digging I think I quite badly undersold myself! I have no experience in negotiating salaries so it's new and scary territory.

From experience, does anyone think there will still be scope for negotiation if I get through to the next stage, or am I now pinned to a quite low pay range? I feel like an idiot!

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Never give a figure when asked a question like this. Stall, prevaricate, whatever it takes - simply say you aren't going to give a figure if required.

I'd be happy with a competitive starting salary for this type of role

I'm sure my aspirations are reasonable for the role

I'm certainly not going to be asking for anything outrageous if I am fortunate enough to get to the salary negotiation stage

I'd rather leave that until I understand more about the role

That's a matter for discussion once a job offer is made

etc

Reply 3
Original post by threeportdrift
Never give a figure when asked a question like this. Stall, prevaricate, whatever it takes - simply say you aren't going to give a figure if required.

I'd be happy with a competitive starting salary for this type of role

I'm sure my aspirations are reasonable for the role

I'm certainly not going to be asking for anything outrageous if I am fortunate enough to get to the salary negotiation stage

I'd rather leave that until I understand more about the role

That's a matter for discussion once a job offer is made

etc

Too late now :/ but at least I'll know better in the future. Its annoying, I had well prepared answers to every question but that! If I spent 5 minutes researching I'd definitely not have stated any figures.

I think the top end of the range that I said is reasonable for the job so hopefully there'll still be scope for negotiation if I get to the next stage/got an offer. Especially since after that question I learned that the role has much more responsibility than stated in the ad.

Thy should teach this stuff in uni, or at least make you aware of it, call me naive but I assumed most jobs at a lower level have set salaries.

Thanks anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by M1011
There is no contract yet, so it's still negotiable. Leave it be for now, and if you actually end up with an offer then that's the time to discuss remuneration.

Thanks, this reassures me a bit, the interview went well other than that so fingers crossed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The subject will probably be bought up again when the contract is devised.

Here's a tip, always start with a high figure

Posted from TSR Mobile
And if you're not sure try to get a figure from them first. Ask them what sort of salary they expect to pay for this job and try and get a number from them. Then you can base your negotiation on that figure.
You should always do your research on the industry before you apply for a job. Know what other equivalent roles are paying.

Then be realistic about your position. If you are just starting out and don't have much experience then there is no point trying to go high, they will just laugh you off. Go in with a reasonable position and ask them if they have opportunities to increase salary with experience / based on performance etc.

If you know you have something that other candidates won't, then use the benchmark you have found out for the industry and add a bit on, and explain why you should get more.

Don't go in with a 'range', a range to the employer is just the bottom figure. If I was selling you a house and told you I'd expect you to bid in the range of £150k to £180k, you're going to offer £150k.....

For any kind of negotiation if you are going in uninformed and guessing you are just mincemeat. You have to be informed, know what the going rate is, and if you are going to pitch yourself above the going rate you have to have a good reason for it that you can argue for.

Naive negotiators will go in to a situation with a strategy like "I would accept 20, so I'll go in and ask for 23 and then that gives me some wriggle room to be negotiated down" but really if the other party is more informed than you they will mercilessly bargain you away. If you would accept 20 think about what evidence you would have to make a case for 21 or 22 or 23, if you have it then pitch high and argue for it, don't let yourself be bargained down. If you don't have that evidence then accept your position and make your pitch accordingly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending