The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

MSc in Interdisciplinary Mathematics - info for an international offer holder

I am an international student with an offer to study for the MSc in Interdisciplinary Mathematics degree at Warwick. Being an international student with a BSc in computer science from my home country (Montenegro), I am wondering about my prospects for future study with this degree.

I intend to go on to study for a PhD in math (I am currently interested in computational topology - persistant homology etc.) and my primary concern is the length of this course. I realise that it is standard in the UK for masters to last one year, but as an international student I would have to apply for PhD very early (in order to be considered for as many funding opportunities as possible), which would give me only about two months at Warwick before applying. In this time I would have to get references, prepare my applications, etc. There is also the matter of number of courses that I can take in that time. Could someone comment on the usual number and structure of courses that students in this program take? I should probably mention that I would be paying for the course by the means of the Chevening Scholarship. Taking all of this in account, could anyone comment on my prospects for PhD study with this degree? How much would I actually gain with one year at Warwick? Someone been in a similar situation?

I also have an offer to study in a two years integrated masters course in pure mathematics as part of Erasmus Mundus ALGANT (Algebra, Geometry and Number Theory) program, which is why I am asking. Decisions, decisions... :smile:

Thanks
Reply 1
Hey,
What did you end up doing?
I'm curious about the ALGANT program me, so I'm looking for someone who has actually done it. I hope you're well into your PhD by now.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Quick Reply

Latest