The Student Room Group

Update to 'notifications' menu

Hi everyone,

Last year we introduced the “Notifications” menu in the green bar at the top of the site. It’s proven to be very popular, and essential on mobile.

The good news is, we've just launched an update to this menu that will make it even better. This update includes:

Separating the Inbox and PMs into different menus (as originally requested by members of the community when this was first launched)

Being able to access all of your notifications from the last seven days within the notifications menu, even if read although the unread ones will stand out more and sit at the top of the menu so they’re still easily accessed

Notifications will now be individual rather than clumped together, for example, now you can see and go to each individual quote in one click rather than having to go through to a separate page

We've created an entirely new “Notifications” page where you can see all of your notifications from the last seven days in one place - rather than going to separate pages (though you can still do that)

In the PM menu, you can now see all of your recent PMs within the menu (with an unlimited scroll on desktop), giving you instant access to your PMs wherever you are without having to go to your inbox (though you can still do that too)

All of this has been created with our mobile site in mind, making your TSR mobile experience much better however it will also improve your experience on laptops, desktops and tablets

Edit, some additional features I missed (thanks Dez):

"Hide all" is now "Mark all as read", for clarity

Undo option added when using the above

Automatic updates now keep relative timestamps ("x minutes ago") in sync

The orange counter on the green bar now stays up-to-date too

Looking forward to seeing what you all think. As always, please use this thread for constructive feedback. Once live, we will be reading this thread for issues you are having and your feedback.

If there’s something you feel doesn’t work, please explain why in as much detail because that helps us to find fixes. E.g. rather than “I don’t like it because it doesn’t work”, explain “I can’t use it because on my mobile phone, the menu doesn’t load properly so I can’t click on items”.

We will read through feedback over the next day or so, then come back with a summary of your feedback with a suggested priority for fixes where necessary.

Thanks,

Jack
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

The notification feature is the best change that happened to TSR.

edit: bring back neg rep
(edited 9 years ago)
:thumbsup:
Reply 3
When you have no new PMs the envelope icon looks a bit out of place when compared to the rest of the header bar. Could it not be pale, to match the rest of the icons? The darker envelope keeps pulling my eyes and half making me think there's something to be acted upon.
Reply 4
I thought I noticed something new!

I'll give it a little bit of time before I give a proper opinion since I'm seeing realtime changes but I'm liking it so far! :biggrin:
Good!! Very nice feature to See

Now i look at my "hundreds" of rep more easly :P
Reply 6
I like it.

I have one issue/suggestion - for rep in this notifications menu, you still only understand that you have been repped - you still have to go to the reputation page to follow through. Seeing as they are no longer clumped together, clicking on '1 new rep' should lead you directly to the repped post rather than the regular route, as it does with quotes.

I agree the envelope is a little bit too dark. :3
I love it :yep:
Original post by awe
I like it.

I have one issue/suggestion - for rep in this notifications menu, you still only understand that you have been repped - you still have to go to the reputation page to follow through. Seeing as they are no longer clumped together, clicking on '1 new rep' should lead you directly to the repped post rather than the regular route, as it does with quotes.

I agree with this post about the repped post.

And the Envolope does seem a bit attention grabby.

I do like it though. V positive change.
Reply 9
Original post by Drewski
When you have no new PMs the envelope icon looks a bit out of place when compared to the rest of the header bar. Could it not be pale, to match the rest of the icons? The darker envelope keeps pulling my eyes and half making me think there's something to be acted upon.

Glad I'm not the only one. I keep thinking there's a notification. Could probably get used to it extremely quickly, but I think it would look better if it was the same colour as the 'Notifications'.
Original post by Drewski

Thanks Drewski, I'll add that to the list to look at.

Original post by awe
I like it.

Original post by Motorbiker
I agree with this post about the repped post.

And the Envolope does seem a bit attention grabby.

I do like it though. V positive change.

Thanks, I agree with the rep going direct to the repped post too. Will that to the list as well :smile:
This update it great! Love it! :biggrin:
A TSR update that people like?

**** me! :eek3:

I like it too! :h:
I'm not sure what the benefit is of being able to see the old notifications/PMs in the drop down menu? The notifications page is a nice addition, but the huge drop down menus just seem excessive, and fill most of the screen.
(edited 9 years ago)
Don't really like that it shows all the old quotes/rep/PMs. I didn't think the last version was too bad :dontknow:
Can you just show unread messages in the inbox?

Why does it list all of your previous messages? :s-smilie:

It just takes up the whole screen.
Reply 16
probs would have to agree that there should be no need of unread messages/notifications on the drop down.
Original post by shadowdweller
I'm not sure what the benefit is of being able to see the old notifications/PMs in the drop down menu? The notifications page is a nice addition, but the huge drop down menus just seem excessive.

Original post by Silver Arrows
Don't really like that it shows all the old quotes/rep/PMs. I didn't think the last version was too bad :dontknow:

Original post by Welsh Bluebird
Can you just show unread messages in the inbox?

Why does it list all of your previous messages? :s-smilie:

It just takes up the whole screen.

The idea is that you can go back to previous threads or PMs that you haven't replied to immediately in an easier way. This is intended to be particularly helpful on mobile where speed is important, but also useful on desktop. I'd recommend trying it out for a few days to see how it works in practice.
i can't seem to find the mark as read button. :s-smilie:
If its the case that I have no unread notifications then how can i remove the notifications in the drop down list?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Captain Jack
The idea is that you can go back to previous threads or PMs that you haven't replied to immediately in an easier way. This is intended to be particularly helpful on mobile where speed is important, but also useful on desktop. I'd recommend trying it out for a few days to see how it works in practice.

On mobile for me the notification wouldn't go away until I clicked the quote/rep anyway. I could view that I have 1 new quote, but unless I actually clicked it, it would stay up as "1 new quote". (Nokia Lumia 920) I don't know if it's different for other phones. I mean it doesn't make a big change, I don't view it as positive or negative.

Quick Reply

Latest