The Student Room Group

English literature

In January I did my mock exams and got an A* in English Language but only a B in Literature.
I find Literature quite hard and I don't know why! I don't know if it's because I don't know any quotes or if there is some underlying feature I just don't notice. Obviously I need to learn quotes and themes from both books, but is there anything else I should be practising/doing in order to achieve an A*?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Which exam board are you on, and what are the question styles like?

I find English Lit. quite hard as well - I think the most important thing is to know the texts really thoroughly, and to show that you know them really well!

Also, though the question might ask something about a character for example, my teachers always say that the question always wants you to comment on the effect of the language, and how this influences how the character comes across to the reader for example.

So, try and get as much terminology in your essay as possible, e.g. sibilance, alegory, etc.

Also talk about the layout/structure if it's significant, for example comma splicing (using commas instead of full stops) might show that a character's thoughts are constant and unrelenting etc, or the use of one sentence paragraphs etc.

I always find it helpful to make lists or mindmaps of key terms and their definitions

The key thing to remember is always comment on the lanuage and the effect it has on the reader!!!!

But having said that, don't forget to talk about themes etc. as well!

Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Cheers,there seems to be so much to learn because it's all spread out whereas a subject like maths is a linear course and you know what's coming ul

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest