The Student Room Group

Girlfriend's behaviour changed a lot recently.

I'm looking for some opinions on this as I've somewhat come to a roadblock and feel a bit lost as to how to deal with her.

Of late my girlfriend who I had been with for quite a long time has been behaving rather strangely. Some of the details will be a bit graphic so be warned.

For now breaking up isn't really an option as it will be a bit of a mess to sort out the immigration paperwork.

These are some of the things she been doing that she never did before :-

1) I have problems falling asleep and usually once awakened from sleep I generally can't sleep again, usually right around 2 or 3 in the morning she will wake me up saying she is horny and can't sleep, therefore it is either sex or oral. She will be persistent until she gets it and for the most part won't take no for an answer.

2) Sex is now always her on top positions, where previously she rarely wanted to be the one on top, otherwise it would be a position where she is pinning me against something.

3) During sex she always pins my hands down to the bed and sometimes uses her whole bodyweight on me, she is quite a bit bigger and heavier than me. Usually if I ask her to not be so rough she simply starts asking if I suddenly don't feel all that powerful. A few times she simply places her hand on my mouth and tells me to shut up if I say anything.

She is only that way once in the bedroom, when in public she is the way she always had been though some things has changed a lot about her :-

1) Usually if I tell her I'd like to buy something new like recently I told her I'd like to move to a new flat that is nicer and bigger, it was also the very one that she said she would like to have some years back but we just couldn't afford it on our tighter budget, now just because I asked about it she said no.

2) I told her I'd like to have a new car and maybe we could upgrade the one, I did tell her we could afford that BMW I always wanted, she screamed at me saying I probably wanted it so could go out with another girl. I told her fine let's not have a new car, in actual fact she uses the car a lot more than me as I take the train to work and usually only drive the car with her in it.

3) Each time she wants to do something then it must be done. While it is mostly enjoyable the process leading to it generally gets ruined by her insistence that is what we must do.

Wondering if some recent changes might be causing her to be that way and how to help her with this.

Some recent changes :-

1) I took up a new job, it pays significantly more than the job she does, she was also hoping to get into the same company but she didn't make it to the interview stage and instead went to work for one local council.

2) I been losing a lot of weight over the last year and recently it has got to the point where I look quite a bit different.

3) Been getting a lot of female attention of late including some from her own friends who previously never liked me, some are from work as well as from other social circles.

4) She has put on a fair bit more weight, she took a job that requires a 90 minute commute. She stopped going to gym as she said she had no time for it and felt too tired after work. She is feeling some stress from the job thus each time she comes home it is dinner and then it is the usual bag of Doritos, bar of Cadburys and tub of Ben & Jerrys while she lounges in front of the tv. No idea what is so stressful about her job as to me it is one of the easiest I've ever encountered.

Can anything be done?
Be firm, stop giving in to her. Walk away if you have to ignore her if you have to. Go and sleep on the sofa when she's being sexually aggressive/abusive. Communicate. Tell her you want her to stop behaving the way she does Talk when she's willing to be reasonable and less selfish, otherwise, keep walking away and ignoring her rather than rewarding the behaviour.
Reply 2
-bump-
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
-bump-

Have you tried talking to her about the change in her behaviour? Also, it seems that the way she dominates the relationship borders on the abusive - it not a healthy relationship to be in.
I'm looking for some opinions on this as I've somewhat come to a roadblock and feel a bit lost as to how to deal with her.

Of late my girlfriend who I had been with for quite a long time has been behaving rather strangely. Some of the details will be a bit graphic so be warned.

For now breaking up isn't really an option as it will be a bit of a mess to sort out the immigration paperwork.

1) I have problems falling asleep and usually once awakened from sleep I generally can't sleep again, usually right around 2 or 3 in the morning she will wake me up saying she is horny and can't sleep, therefore it is either sex or oral. She will be persistent until she gets it and for the most part won't take no for an answer.

2) Sex is now always her on top positions, where previously she rarely wanted to be the one on top, otherwise it would be a position where she is pinning me against something.

3) During sex she always pins my hands down to the bed and sometimes uses her whole bodyweight on me, she is quite a bit bigger and heavier than me. Usually if I ask her to not be so rough she simply starts asking if I suddenly don't feel all that powerful. A few times she simply places her hand on my mouth and tells me to shut up if I say anything.

She is only that way once in the bedroom, when in public she is the way she always had been though some things has changed a lot about her :-

1) Usually if I tell her I'd like to buy something new like recently I told her I'd like to move to a new flat that is nicer and bigger, it was also the very one that she said she would like to have some years back but we just couldn't afford it on our tighter budget, now just because I asked about it she said no.

2) I told her I'd like to have a new car and maybe we could upgrade the one, I did tell her we could afford that BMW I always wanted, she screamed at me saying I probably wanted it so could go out with another girl. I told her fine let's not have a new car, in actual fact she uses the car a lot more than me as I take the train to work and usually only drive the car with her in it.

3) Each time she wants to do something then it must be done. While it is mostly enjoyable the process leading to it generally gets ruined by her insistence that is what we must do.

Wondering if some recent changes might be causing her to be that way and how to help her with this.

1) I took up a new job, it pays significantly more than the job she does, she was also hoping to get into the same company but she didn't make it to the interview stage and instead went to work for one local council.

2) I been losing a lot of weight over the last year and recently it has got to the point where I look quite a bit different.

3) Been getting a lot of female attention of late including some from her own friends who previously never liked me, some are from work as well as from other social circles.

4) She has put on a fair bit more weight, she took a job that requires a 90 minute commute. She stopped going to gym as she said she had no time for it and felt too tired after work. She is feeling some stress from the job thus each time she comes home it is dinner and then it is the usual bag of Doritos, bar of Cadburys and tub of Ben & Jerrys while she lounges in front of the tv. No idea what is so stressful about her job as to me it is one of the easiest I've ever encountered.

Can anything be done?

Break up with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

For now breaking up isn't really an option as it will be a bit of a mess to sort out the immigration paperwork. Bit of a red flag there but let's continue

1) I have problems falling asleep and usually once awakened from sleep I generally can't sleep again, usually right around 2 or 3 in the morning she will wake me up saying she is horny and can't sleep, therefore it is either sex or oral. She will be persistent until she gets it and for the most part won't take no for an answer. Won't take no for an answer is extremely dominatingrapey behaviour. Be persistent. Leave the room if you feel uncomfortable or threatened, or just don't want to do anything with her.

2) Sex is now always her on top positions, where previously she rarely wanted to be the one on top, otherwise it would be a position where she is pinning me against something. Again, dominating behaviour. Could link in with the fact you have a higher paying job than her and she feels threatened/you've lost weight, maybe become more attractive and she feels insecure?

3) During sex she always pins my hands down to the bed and sometimes uses her whole bodyweight on me, she is quite a bit bigger and heavier than me. Usually if I ask her to not be so rough she simply starts asking if I suddenly don't feel all that powerful. A few times she simply places her hand on my mouth and tells me to shut up if I say anything. Definitely unacceptable behaviour, make it clear to her that it isn't acceptable.

1) Usually if I tell her I'd like to buy something new like recently I told her I'd like to move to a new flat that is nicer and bigger, it was also the very one that she said she would like to have some years back but we just couldn't afford it on our tighter budget, now just because I asked about it she said no. She does not control your life. She has input because she is your girlfriend, but if you want something and feel strongly about it, she should support that unless there is a valid reason not to.

2) I told her I'd like to have a new car and maybe we could upgrade the one, I did tell her we could afford that BMW I always wanted, she screamed at me saying I probably wanted it so could go out with another girl. I told her fine let's not have a new car, in actual fact she uses the car a lot more than me as I take the train to work and usually only drive the car with her in it. Screams of insecurity

3) Each time she wants to do something then it must be done. While it is mostly enjoyable the process leading to it generally gets ruined by her insistence that is what we must do. What a lovely sounding girl. Maybe try putting your foot down a little It sounds like she walks all over you and you let her.

1) I took up a new job, it pays significantly more than the job she does, she was also hoping to get into the same company but she didn't make it to the interview stage and instead went to work for one local council. Insecurity/jealousy

2) I been losing a lot of weight over the last year and recently it has got to the point where I look quite a bit different. You mentioned that she was a larger girl. insecurity because you may now be more attractive/jealousy

3) Been getting a lot of female attention of late including some from her own friends who previously never liked me, some are from work as well as from other social circles. Insecurity and jealousy.

4) She has put on a fair bit more weight, she took a job that requires a 90 minute commute. She stopped going to gym as she said she had no time for it and felt too tired after work. She is feeling some stress from the job thus each time she comes home it is dinner and then it is the usual bag of Doritos, bar of Cadburys and tub of Ben & Jerrys while she lounges in front of the tv. No idea what is so stressful about her job as to me it is one of the easiest I've ever encountered. Insecurity, emotional eating? Maybe all her time being spent being jealous/insecure is making her stressed? I don't know, just going on your post.

Can anything be done?

If I were you, I'd stand up to her more. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. Maybe bring up how different she's being? The only person who can change things like this is you. Maybe ask her if the attention you're getting is making her insecure. Ask if there are any specific reasons why you can't get a car or a flat. Talk to her, show her this post, even. You're asking for advice but have you actually brought up any of these issues with her?
If she wakes you up asking for sex, tell her the first time that you do not like being woken up and aren't in the mood. If she persists, go sleep on the sofa.
Tell her at some point you don't like the aggressive/rough stuff and would like her to stop. Next time she does it, tell her - if she doesn't stop refuse sex and tell her you're not enjoying it because of her aggression, which you've spoken to her about.
As for the other things, sane principle, tell her nicely at first but if she continues out your foot down.
Reply 7
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Be firm, stop giving in to her. Walk away if you have to ignore her if you have to. Go and sleep on the sofa when she's being sexually aggressive/abusive. Communicate. Tell her you want her to stop behaving the way she does Talk when she's willing to be reasonable and less selfish, otherwise, keep walking away and ignoring her rather than rewarding the behaviour.

Original post by Comus
Have you tried talking to her about the change in her behaviour? Also, it seems that the way she dominates the relationship borders on the abusive - it not a healthy relationship to be in.

I did speak to her about it when she first started doing it, she stopped doing it for 2 days then we had a bit of a tiff and she started it all over again. A bit difficult to walk away from her as it will provoke her into doing something else.

We don't actually have another room in the flat, it is a fully contained studio and therefore no place to go in the event she does what she does.

Sometimes if I voice anything to her she will do more of what she had been doing and ask me to tell her what she is doing and just laughs it out.
Reply 8
Original post by LightBlueSoldier
Break up with her.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't want to do that. Tried it once and after that felt rather lost without her.

Original post by Cake Faced Kid.
If I were you, I'd stand up to her more. If you don't want to do something, don't do it. Maybe bring up how different she's being? The only person who can change things like this is you. Maybe ask her if the attention you're getting is making her insecure. Ask if there are any specific reasons why you can't get a car or a flat. Talk to her, show her this post, even. You're asking for advice but have you actually brought up any of these issues with her?

The flat, she always makes it clear the flat is hers and she wants it to remain that I'm living in her flat.

The car, she said what I said in the OP and then told me not to ask again.

She doesn't like hearing or it being acknowledges that I'm getting attention from another female.

There have been times I asked her why she had changed and she simply denies she had changed instead she keeps saying it is me who had changed.

Original post by joker12345
If she wakes you up asking for sex, tell her the first time that you do not like being woken up and aren't in the mood. If she persists, go sleep on the sofa.
Tell her at some point you don't like the aggressive/rough stuff and would like her to stop. Next time she does it, tell her - if she doesn't stop refuse sex and tell her you're not enjoying it because of her aggression, which you've spoken to her about.
As for the other things, sane principle, tell her nicely at first but if she continues out your foot down.

If I tell her to not do something that will be the very thing she will do, if she doesn't get sex after waking me up she will become even more aggressive.

Yesterday I told her I wasn't in the mood she said fine, she then said she was going to the toilet and when she came back I had better be in the mood or she would make me be in the mood, she came back, she saw me asleep and she simply placed her entire body weight on me and demanded it happen or she wasn't getting off.

Each time I try to tell her anything nicely she simply laughs at me and sometimes she will stop it for a few days then it will happen again usually if I did something to tick her off.
Re your latest story - you can't stand for this. Next time she does something like that just get up and leave. You need to start doing that so she gets the hint. Her behaviour is abusive and disgusting - she can't lie on top of you and force you into sex, it's going down a very rapey route.
Reply 10
I have to say, this definitely does not sound like a good situation for you. One thing that seems a bit strange to me is her insistence that the flat and car belong to her - legally speaking, is that true? If not, it sounds like she's become desperate and dangerously possessive.
Do you have any family or friends you could go and stay with?
Reply 12
Honestly the bedtime stuff sounds fantastic, can I have her? :cute:

But yeah, she's just being a little insecure, and so instinctively wanting to be more controlling so that you don't run away. You need to reassure her that she's the one you want, while at the same time setting some boundaries.
Reply 13
If she doesn't change soon, leave ASAP - it might hurt for a while but it's the right thing to do
Reply 14
I think a lot of the comments are being very relaxed about this and whilst I hate to use the phrase because it is overused and misused on this forum... imagine if the genders were reversed!

OP your girlfriend is emotionally abusive and manipulative. I doubt she realises she is necessarily being this way to the full extent, and I think you should absolutely talk to her properly about this. Stand your ground, tell her what she's been doing in plain, blunt terms. Don't necessarily be rude; if it is due to insecurities about your differing situations, biting back at her won't help things. But you do need to realise this will not carry not. Honestly, you cannot continue in this relationship as it is - you certainly deserve better. What you have been doing is bettering yourself and improving your life, and she is clearly trying to dominate and stunt that growth for some reason. You seem to be doing really well, continue that trend - be more confident, stand up for yourself. Again; she is being abusive and manipulative, some of what you say r.e the bedroom seems bordering on rape, hard to tell. This is not a healthy relationship as it is.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by antipathy

But yeah, she's just being a little insecure, and so instinctively wanting to be more controlling so that you don't run away. You need to reassure her that she's the one you want, while at the same time setting some boundaries.

A little insecure, understatement much? She sounds incredibly aggressive and controlling.

Lol at some of the advice here, "ask politely, sleep on the couch if you need to to avoid, try being more more firm if she doesn't listen.."

If the gender roles were reversed people would be screaming at OP to leave her abusive, controlling, bordering on sociopathic boyfriend.

I mean hell he's just described rape, she weighs more than him, uses her weight to pin him down and puts her hand over his mouth so he can't protest. But yeah, maybe if he politely tells her she'll stop next time. lol TSR...

She won't change OP, if anything she'll get worse. You feel lost without her as its a long term relationship, but it's a much better alternative to the situation you're in now.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by awe
I think a lot of the comments are being very relaxed about this and whilst I hate to use the phrase because it is overused and misused on this forum... imagine if the genders were reversed!

THANKYOU! Just made a post under yours on that issue.
I did speak to her about it when she first started doing it, she stopped doing it for 2 days then we had a bit of a tiff and she started it all over again. A bit difficult to walk away from her as it will provoke her into doing something else.

We don't actually have another room in the flat, it is a fully contained studio and therefore no place to go in the event she does what she does.

Sometimes if I voice anything to her she will do more of what she had been doing and ask me to tell her what she is doing and just laughs it out.

You have a choice here, Carry on the way you are, or do something about it, be that leaving or simply not standing for her behaviour and letting her get away with it. Yes, doing things to stop this happening, like walking away and standing her ground probably will make her behaviour worse initially... but if you're persistent, she will learn that what she's doing isn't getting her what she wants and she will have to do something about it. She is acting in a very childish way, maybe addressing her behaviour as you would a child's bad behaviour is what is needed.

If you're going to make an excuse in reply to every piece of sensible advice you get, why bother asking? As I said, your choice is do something about it and have things change, or don't and have the situation continue or worsen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending