The Student Room Group

Does studying biomedical science at uni lead to a healthcare profession?

I am applying for student finance for university starting in September this year. And doing biomedical science at sheffield.

One of the question asked is whether the course I am doing leads to a healthcare profession: Here is exactly how it's written:

Will your course lead to a healthcare profession?
Examples of healthcare professions include:

chiropodist (including podiatrist), dietician, occupational therapist, orthoptist, physiotherapist, prosthetist, and orthotist, radiographer, radiotherapist or a speech and language therapist

dental hygienist or dental therapist

nurse, midwife or operating department practitioner

doctor or dentist

No, it's very much an academic degree rather than one that qualifies you as a healthcare professional. If you wanted to work in healthcare then you'd have to do further study afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
No, it's very much an academic degree rather than one that qualifies you as a healthcare professional. If you wanted to work in healthcare then you'd have to do further study afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what was confusing me as I do plan to do further study in the healthcare discipline. Thank you!
Biomed will allow you to work in NHS hospital labs eg. You'd be testing samples etc. if that's not what you want to do then apply for a different course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Vitamin D
Biomed will allow you to work in NHS hospital labs eg. You'd be testing samples etc. if that's not what you want to do then apply for a different course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

My aim is to study medicine in the future. And now doing biomed to transfer to medicine in my first year in sheffield, where I'd be studying. If that doesn't work out then I'd be looking for graduate entry medicine when I complete my biomed degree.
Original post by SiMan
My aim is to study medicine in the future. And now doing biomed to transfer to medicine in my first year in sheffield, where I'd be studying. If that doesn't work out then I'd be looking for graduate entry medicine when I complete my biomed degree.

I don't know how common it is for universities to allow people to transfer to medicine, but good luck with everything anyway :smile: for graduate entry to medicine biomed is a great course to take.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by SiMan
I am applying for student finance for university starting in September this year. And doing biomedical science at sheffield.

One of the question asked is whether the course I am doing leads to a healthcare profession: Here is exactly how it's written:

Will your course lead to a healthcare profession?
Examples of healthcare professions include:

chiropodist (including podiatrist), dietician, occupational therapist, orthoptist, physiotherapist, prosthetist, and orthotist, radiographer, radiotherapist or a speech and language therapist

doctor or dentist

Wow, it's a good thing I saw this post because i'm in the exact same position as you (biomed to go into grad medicine haha :smile: ) and just applied for student finance yesterday, wrongly answering it as 'yes' :s-smilie: Need to change it now
Hello,

I have a place at Portsmouth Uni to do Biomedical Science, originally applied for Dental Hygiene and Therapy but unfortunately did not get it offered. Does anyone know if I can transfer in the second year please?

Many Thanks.
Original post by DominikaJ
Hello,

I have a place at Portsmouth Uni to do Biomedical Science, originally applied for Dental Hygiene and Therapy but unfortunately did not get it offered. Does anyone know if I can transfer in the second year please?

Many Thanks.

That's going to be a matter of individual university policy - you'd have to contact them to ask.

I'd never recommend starting a degree that you're not happy to complete - it's expensive, and can end in tears. If you really want to do dental hygiene and therapy, then I would suggest looking at Extra, Clearing or reapplying next year.
Biomedical science does not give you any qualificiations that will allow you to become a healthcase professional. You could get a job in an NHS lab but a person with a chemistry degree could get teh same job or someone with a NVQ.

So the answer is no.

By the way the chances of going into medicine after doing one year of biomed degree is very very remote. Just be aware of that.
Original post by SiMan

doctor or dentist

Not sure.

No.

No.

No.

I'd strongly advise you not to take the course if your intention is medicine. There's no point and it's a waste of funds imo. You might as well just apply for medicine initially
I am assuming that the poster did not get into medicine and took Biomed as a fallback

Latest