The Student Room Group

Stop hating on your 2:2 and be proud of it!

I see and hear so many people talking and posting about how they're really upset about having got a 2:2 in their degree or that they're worried about getting one. Seriously people it is not the end of the world. I know that people might want to debate otherwise and that's fine because everyone has different goals, aims and aspirations but I just want to offer some advice based on experience.

*A higher graded degree doesn't make you guaranteed to earn more money.

*Employers look at a range of things about you including your location, your flexibility, your attitude and whether they can see being able to get on with you in the workplace, whether you've filled out the application form carefully and included a covering letter, your work experience to date, how you'll fit in at the company, how well you interview, whether they think you can actually DO the job, are your aspirations realistic in line with the role on offer. Seriously, there are so many factors that influence whether someone will want to employ you and in the grand scheme of things although they may take your grade into consideration, the very fact that you've done a degree is often more of a kudos thing than the be all and end all.

*You don't have to get a graduate job to justify or honour the fact that you've been to uni. A lot of graduate jobs don't actually pay more than a non graduate job (some even expect you to do it for free!) and it can just be a cheap way of getting you to do a job that you'd otherwise not want to be doing if it didn't have the word "graduate" in front of the job title. Taking a non graduate job doesn't mean that university was a waste because at the end of the day you've got the degree and the world of work is very diverse in that some places require a degree and those that don't might still look at you favourable for having one.

*I can understand why throughout your school life you need to get the right GCSEs to move onto A level and then the right A levels to get to uni but beyond that most people don't go into anymore education after university so to grieve over a 2:2 that isn't necessarily a barrier either way doesn't make much sense to me.

*Sure, if you don't get a 2:1 or higher that will probably put you out of the running for some further study and some graduate jobs but for every one that you aren't suitable for there will be a fair proportion that you could get onto. Just keep going.

*A higher grade at uni won't necessarily make you more wealthy or open more doors to you. Stuff like that is often more holistic and comes down to the whole person.

*You went to Uni, you saw some life, chances are that you lived away from home and learnt to be more independent and your people skills and confidence improved. Regardless of the grade you come out with, all of that still stands.

*Long story short is that once you come out of the security of the education system, working life tends to be more holistic and less rigid. I've known an English graduate and a maths graduate who went to Cambridge who were on the dole for quite a while and I know a kid who messed about at just compulsory school who is doing very well as a landscape gardener now. My point is that this is about people as individuals rather than just one number on a piece of paper.

You've been to uni, you've completed your degree, now go out into the world feeling proud :smile:

(It is five years ago this summer that I graduated from my first degree from a Russel Group uni with a 2:2. Since then I have completed one masters at an ex poly and am currently hoping to take up my place on another one come September for career change related reasons. In terms of work I have not done a graduate job but that's only through my own choice, circumstances and interests. In the long run I want to be a teacher and from the research and communications I've put into it, nobody has told me to aspire to anything different or less as someone who holds a 2:2.

I was expecting a 2:2 even before I finished University, after being so unhappy at school and finally having the chance to work through that at University (social anxiety+counselling) I always told myself that I'd rather be happy than lock myself away desperate to get a 2:1. When I found out that I'd got the 2:2 I anticipated I carried on as normal and was like "cool, what next" :smile: )

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I wouldn't be happy with it :dontknow:

You can't compare it to school. A degree is an expensive financial investment and the idea is to see returns.
Original post by james1211

You can't compare it to school. A degree is an expensive financial investment and the idea is to see returns.

Completely agree.

While it's not the end of the world if you do get a 2.2 it's not something to be 'proud' of at all, really. I will be very disappointed with a 2.2.
But as time goes on a 2:2 will be less and less significant because hopefully by then you'll have your foot in the door with what you want to be doing and then the thing that gets you your next job will be your experience.

Without wanting to sound condescending, while you're at uni the grade you get at the end feels like a bigger deal than it does a few years down the line after doing uni.
Reply 4
Original post by james1211

A 2:2 doesn't necessarily limit your return on investment - I've had 3 graduate jobs (including grad scheme and direct entry) and there was no pay differentiation on degree classification (though I realise some companies do operate that policy). Once you're in a job your progression is dictated by your ability and a little luck, not your degree certificate.

Whilst obviously it's sensible to aim for the best grade you can get, once it's been decided the best thing to do is just crack on rather than getting hung up on a number which, realistically, probably won't make any difference two to five years down the line.
Reply 5
Original post by laurakate1988
But as time goes on a 2:2 will be less and less significant because hopefully by then you'll have your foot in the door with what you want to be doing and then the thing that gets you your next job will be your experience.

Without wanting to sound condescending, while you're at uni the grade you get at the end feels like a bigger deal than it does a few years down the line after doing uni.

That's why i'm doing a degree with an industrial placement year. Knock ex polys all you like, i have a job in the sector earning greater than minimum wage and building a pension before i've even graduated, and the links the university has with industry will serve me invaluably in the future. As will a 2:1.

I see uni as an investment in my future. Glorifying a 2.2 makes no sense because most employers don't value them.
When we say that most employers don't value a 2:2, from what source are we drawing that fact. Not to sound pedantic but different employers look for different things.
To be fair I don't think 2:2 should be "glorified" because at the end of the day, a 1st looks epic on a CV and it does have some potentially promising connotations.

I think everyone who completes their degree should feel proud and then a 2:1 or more is the icing on the cake (like a pleasant bonus) rather than the only thing to have made it worthwhile.
Original post by CurlyBen
A 2:2 doesn't necessarily limit your return on investment - I've had 3 graduate jobs (including grad scheme and direct entry) and there was no pay differentiation on degree classification (though I realise some companies do operate that policy). Once you're in a job your progression is dictated by your ability and a little luck, not your degree certificate.

Whilst obviously it's sensible to aim for the best grade you can get, once it's been decided the best thing to do is just crack on rather than getting hung up on a number which, realistically, probably won't make any difference two to five years down the line.

I agree. The fact that people would consider doing another degree to make their 2:2 look "less bad" kind of worries me to be honest in the sense that even if you did three different degrees, after completing your most recent one it will be mostly about your work experience and other qualities when it comes to getting your next job.
Reply 9
To be fair I don't think 2:2 should be "glorified" because at the end of the day, a 1st looks epic on a CV and it does have some potentially promising connotations.

I think everyone who completes their degree should feel proud and then a 2:1 or more is the icing on the cake (like a pleasant bonus) rather than the only thing to have made it worthwhile.

How do e.g the Big Four EVEN GET TO LOOK AT your CV

When FIRST there is a filter.

2:1 Or above -- Yes move on

No - Sorry you do not meet the requirements

Yes a 2:2 IS not the end of the world Big for graduate jobs e.g in the big four YES ITS A SIGNIFICANT DRAWBACK!

Source: Try applying Big four and before you even apply and send your CV that is one of the Filters they use
But there are so many employers out there that does it really matter if you don't get in with the big four (whoever they are)

Original post by helpmekid
How do e.g the Big Four EVEN GET TO LOOK AT your CV

When FIRST there is a filter.

2:1 Or above -- Yes move on

No - Sorry you do not meet the requirements

Yes a 2:2 IS not the end of the world Big for graduate jobs e.g in the big four YES ITS A SIGNIFICANT DRAWBACK!

Source: Try applying Big four and before you even apply and send your CV that is one of the Filters they use
But there are so many employers out there that does it really matter if you don't get in with the big four (whoever they are)

If you have a GREAT CV and end up with a 2:2 and are proud and NOT Looking to do a graduate job

and do a job where you don't need a degree

Whats the point in doing the degree in the first place?? Why dont you go DIRECT

Work Full time > Build CV > Then get "your job"

Fact it most BIG Employers require a minimum 2:1

I PERSONALLY would feel as if I wasted 27k if i ended up getting a 2:2 and then doing a job which WONT Require a degree?

Source: Check their websites
My boyfriend graduated last year with a 2:2. He's now earning 25'000 plus. His wage will go up next March to 30k. :smile: It isn't all about the qualification.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Perhaps so, but I'd rather be uninihibited by loans and have no degree than sink myself into thousands of pounds of debt for a mediocre one.
I see and hear so many people talking and posting about how they're really upset about having got a 2:2 in their degree or that they're worried about getting one. Seriously people it is not the end of the world. I know that people might want to debate otherwise and that's fine because everyone has different goals, aims and aspirations but I just want to offer some advice based on experience.

*A higher graded degree doesn't make you guaranteed to earn more money.

*Employers look at a range of things about you including your location, your flexibility, your attitude and whether they can see being able to get on with you in the workplace, whether you've filled out the application form carefully and included a covering letter, your work experience to date, how you'll fit in at the company, how well you interview, whether they think you can actually DO the job, are your aspirations realistic in line with the role on offer. Seriously, there are so many factors that influence whether someone will want to employ you and in the grand scheme of things although they may take your grade into consideration, the very fact that you've done a degree is often more of a kudos thing than the be all and end all.

*You don't have to get a graduate job to justify or honour the fact that you've been to uni. A lot of graduate jobs don't actually pay more than a non graduate job (some even expect you to do it for free!) and it can just be a cheap way of getting you to do a job that you'd otherwise not want to be doing if it didn't have the word "graduate" in front of the job title. Taking a non graduate job doesn't mean that university was a waste because at the end of the day you've got the degree and the world of work is very diverse in that some places require a degree and those that don't might still look at you favourable for having one.

*I can understand why throughout your school life you need to get the right GCSEs to move onto A level and then the right A levels to get to uni but beyond that most people don't go into anymore education after university so to grieve over a 2:2 that isn't necessarily a barrier either way doesn't make much sense to me.

*Sure, if you don't get a 2:1 or higher that will probably put you out of the running for some further study and some graduate jobs but for every one that you aren't suitable for there will be a fair proportion that you could get onto. Just keep going.

*A higher grade at uni won't necessarily make you more wealthy or open more doors to you. Stuff like that is often more holistic and comes down to the whole person.

*You went to Uni, you saw some life, chances are that you lived away from home and learnt to be more independent and your people skills and confidence improved. Regardless of the grade you come out with, all of that still stands.

*Long story short is that once you come out of the security of the education system, working life tends to be more holistic and less rigid. I've known an English graduate and a maths graduate who went to Cambridge who were on the dole for quite a while and I know a kid who messed about at just compulsory school who is doing very well as a landscape gardener now. My point is that this is about people as individuals rather than just one number on a piece of paper.

You've been to uni, you've completed your degree, now go out into the world feeling proud :smile:

(It is five years ago this summer that I graduated from my first degree from a Russel Group uni with a 2:2. Since then I have completed one masters at an ex poly and am currently hoping to take up my place on another one come September for career change related reasons. In terms of work I have not done a graduate job but that's only through my own choice, circumstances and interests. In the long run I want to be a teacher and from the research and communications I've put into it, nobody has told me to aspire to anything different or less as someone who holds a 2:2.

I was expecting a 2:2 even before I finished University, after being so unhappy at school and finally having the chance to work through that at University (social anxiety+counselling) I always told myself that I'd rather be happy than lock myself away desperate to get a 2:1. When I found out that I'd got the 2:2 I anticipated I carried on as normal and was like "cool, what next" :smile: )

This is about you, your life expectations and target limits.

Your carefree, optimistic attitude towards it may be justified based on your own life requirements for contentment.

"people as individuals..numbers on paper..."

let's cut the idealistic fairyland crap.

In the real world, fact of the matter is paying £3000/£9000 for 3-4 years + living expenses and coming out with a 2:2 is not okay

And in the real world a better grade more often than not, opens more,better, richer doors.

So it's downright foolish to not make the investment worthwhile.
(edited 9 years ago)
tl dr
The entire career pathway I want to enter requires a 2:1, so I'd be pretty upset if I didn't make it.

I guess it's annoying for other people because it limits choices, could well affect employer's views, and it just isn't as good.

I think while you're at university it's okay to be worried - it gets you aiming higher and trying harder. After, maybe then you should just suck it up.

I think they're referring to the big 4 accounting firms.
Anyway, I'm happy for you that you managed to overcome your personal issues and complete your degree. I know of countless people who couldn't do so, give up and drop out of uni.

Its even greater that you've chosen a noble profession to embark on, and would have the wonderful opportunity to inspire our nations future. I see that you've also done more courses to really help yourself develop intellectually, which is excellent.

You don't have to work for a big employer to have a good career.
There are many (small medium enterprises)SMEs that are just as good to work for, that do need a graduate to fill. Anyway, I feel that degrees are a reflection of how well you were able to understand the course material, which may not be entirely relevant to the job scope of a company. So as long as you can prove yourself to be intelligent and composed during an interview, you have a chance of getting a job.

I realise that a lot of the posters here are pretty negative. But don't let that get to you. Keep up the optimism! If you believe, one day you will become. What determines if we succeed or fail is the mindset that we have.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 18
I'd likely get 2:2 by the looks of it :frown:
See my worry is because I'm studying law. I don't even want to go into a giant firm I'd be more than happy with working on the high street but even those jobs require a 2.1 simply because there are so many people sadly. It is highly likely I'll end up with a 2.2 but if I do I'll just run away to New Zealand lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending