The Student Room Group

Second Hand V8 Vantage v Lamborghini Gallardo, do good things come to those who wait?

Someone I know has the budget to get a second hand V8 Vantage by the end of this year probably. So he would spend say between 30 to 40k on a second hand V8 Vantage then add 100 percent duty/levies.taxes because of the country he is exporting it to charges that on imported fully constructed cars. Or he could wait until next year when he gets more money from his business and could afford a second hand Gallardo. Though next year because of the rules of the country he is exporting to the car has to be 7 years old or less so eh can only import a 2008 registered car or after next year. Thus since the LP560-4 with the upgraded looks and 5.2 litre engine came out in 2008 (even though they are some 5 litre pre facelift Gallardos around with 08 registration plates) and the V8 Vantage was revised in May 2008 with a 4.7 litre engine (up from 4.3 litres) and had a lighter clutch wider power band apparently etc. Also is the V8 Vantage a mroe everyday car than the Gallardo you can use it more as an everyday car it has slightly softer suspension, higher profile tyres better ride? Should this guy wait until next year so he could potentially afford these upgraded models, does the saying good things come to those who wait apply here?
Depends on the country it is going to, some countries in Asia are notoriously difficult to get parts for an Aston Martin while some countries the petrol you buy at the pumps might not be suitable for many Lamborghinis or Ferraris that are purchased from EU countries.
Reply 2
Original post by Alfissti
Depends on the country it is going to, some countries in Asia are notoriously difficult to get parts for an Aston Martin while some countries the petrol you buy at the pumps might not be suitable for many Lamborghinis or Ferraris that are purchased from EU countries.

The country is in Africa I think the petrol octane number is above 95 octane and i think 98 and above octane may be available, I know the diesel at BP petrols stations there is well above 51 centane. Parts he is planning to import them himself from the UK. Parts have no duty on them in the country he is importing the car to only complete cars have duty applied to them. That is why manufacturers import knock down kits and manufacture trucks and buses there.
Reply 3
Vantage needs a clutch every 20k - so worth checking that's been done.
Reply 4
Original post by JC.
Vantage needs a clutch every 20k - so worth checking that's been done.

Is that for both manual and the ASM Sportshift? I heard about 2006 to 2007 suspension recalls as well. Not sure if the accelerator problem affects right hand drive Aston Martins manufactured before late 2009, heard it affects left hand drive cars from late 2007 onwards have to find that out.
Original post by hsv
The country is in Africa I think the petrol octane number is above 95 octane and i think 98 and above octane may be available, I know the diesel at BP petrols stations there is well above 51 centane. Parts he is planning to import them himself from the UK. Parts have no duty on them in the country he is importing the car to only complete cars have duty applied to them. That is why manufacturers import knock down kits and manufacture trucks and buses there.

I'm originally from Singapore, back home we never buy such cars that are imported used from another country as many of them tend to overheat or the dashboard, interior parts, anything made of plastic or rubber tend to wear off prematurely where those bought from an authorized franchised dealer don't have those problems as the one bought tend to be pre-adapted to tropical climates. Especially true for any Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis. Not sure about Astons as those don't sell well there.

It isn't just an issue about the octane rating, it is the purity of the fuel, most petrol sold in 3rd world countries don't tend to be refined to the same standard as those in EU and the sulphur in the fuel will mess up the injectors and the emission systems of these cars, if it is a direct injection then it will cause a major carbon build-up on the heads.
Reply 6
Original post by Alfissti
I'm originally from Singapore, back home we never buy such cars that are imported used from another country as many of them tend to overheat or the dashboard, interior parts, anything made of plastic or rubber tend to wear off prematurely where those bought from an authorized franchised dealer don't have those problems as the one bought tend to be pre-adapted to tropical climates. Especially true for any Porsches, Ferraris, Lamborghinis and Maseratis. Not sure about Astons as those don't sell well there.

It isn't just an issue about the octane rating, it is the purity of the fuel, most petrol sold in 3rd world countries don't tend to be refined to the same standard as those in EU and the sulphur in the fuel will mess up the injectors and the emission systems of these cars, if it is a direct injection then it will cause a major carbon build-up on the heads.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest