The Student Room Group

Chance of getting into UCL for a 3 or 4 year BA in Geography?

Hi guys. 17 year old here from an independent school in South London, thinking about a career in either journalism or marketing after university, and so I’ve opted for a subject I like but fits in with the two (well, kinda) UCL would be my top and favourite university to go to.
My IGCSE grades were the following:
Spanish, DT, History A*
Maths, Geography, English Lit, English Lang, Double Science A
IoL Further Spanish Merit
These grades can be considered average to above average at my school. I also do a massive amount of co-curricular activities, ranging from School Prefect, charity work, three different sports etc (you get the idea) ; I am also fluent in Slovak.
Currently I’m doing Spanish, Geography, Economics and English for AS I’m most likely to drop one of the last two. I’m expecting to get a mix of As and Bs in the AS exams, but don’t quote me on that.
Chances of me getting into UCL? I know that for Geography they no longer do interviews, and 4 year courses are higher in demand than 3 year courses as everyone wants a year abroad, so they have a higher grade requirement. What else do they look at? Personal Statement? References? Extended Essay? CV?
If there are any extra things you think I should know feel free to say.
Thanks in advance!
I think UCL go more off the personal statement than flawless grades in my opinion. Obviously you still need to be predicted at least three As for A2 (and have the AS grades to corroborate that) but given that most applicants will have those grades the personal statement has to be great :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nomdeplumeX2
I think UCL go more off the personal statement than flawless grades in my opinion. Obviously you still need to be predicted at least three As for A2 (and have the AS grades to corroborate that) but given that most applicants will have those grades the personal statement has to be great :smile:

hey, thanks for answering :smile:
the offer for 4 year geography is A*AA and 3 year geography is AAA - do you know if they would still accept anyone who has got one grade below? or is that quite rare?
Alternatively, is it possible that they give you an AAA offer for a course which has A*AA written on the website?

thanks!
Original post by p.formanko
hey, thanks for answering :smile:
the offer for 4 year geography is A*AA and 3 year geography is AAA - do you know if they would still accept anyone who has got one grade below? or is that quite rare?
Alternatively, is it possible that they give you an AAA offer for a course which has A*AA written on the website?

thanks!

Just seen this. I'm not entirely sure because I turned their offer (AAA - 3 year course) down but we did go for a post offer interview type day where if you performed well they would take that into account if you missed your offer on results day. I also guess that if you got an offer for the four year course but got AAA they would switch you to the three year course over someone who got, say AAB. I didn't ask anyone on the open day what their offers were but I'm assuming they only give contextualised lower offers, not low offers for impressive candidates. Rightly or wrongly they are recruiters so really don't need to do that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending