The Student Room Group

Do you dislike people who don't say "died'?

This bugs me no end.
The person was not lost, nor passed away, or is gone, or kicked the bucket. Does it not annoy you when people avoid using the term "died"?

Scroll to see replies

Doesn't bother me but nobody has ever said to me "kicked the bucket", "lost" or "passed away". Everybody I've met, everybody I know, say "died".
One of my friends who had an aunt with cancer recently pointed out how she hates it when people say 'they lost their fight with cancer' or 'they succumbed to the disease'. She says it makes it sound like the victim had a choice in what happened to them and like they could have tried harder when in fact they had very little input.
Reply 3
Some people find it difficult to say that someone died, especially if it was someone close to them. It can be easier to say 'they passed away.' It's their choice how they word it.
What an incredibly insensitive thread :facepalm2:
This tbh ^

After a few recent deaths in the close family, telling other people I never felt so comfortable saying that person 'died'.

Don't really think it's something to get annoyed about really.

EDIT: Ninja'd :lol:
I always say died, passed away is acceptable as its meaning can't be misconstrued. Lost and gone are incorrect used in that context and open the door to confusion so yes that bugs me.

Kicked the bucket and other humourous euphemisms are alright.
Reply 7
It's up to the individual how they word it. It can be a hard thing to say.

I will though say that 'we lost him' can be very misleading, especially if you're referring to a pet.
No. People deal with grief very differently. Some people avoid language that hammers home what has happened. The same thing often happens with those whose experience personal traumas (rape, abuse, etc.) They create euphemisms to deal with it.
To be honest it's up to me how I want to say it and I prefer 'passed away', I find died too hard to say
Original post by DouglasAdams
This bugs me no end.
The person was not lost, nor passed away, or is gone, or kicked the bucket. Does it not annoy you when people avoid using the term "died"?

Irrelevance >9000
Depends on the terms and the context.

"Kicked the bucket", "passed on to a better place" and "no longer with us" have their place but could potentially annoy me.
To be honest they're all terms for different circumstances. 'Died' is obviously accurate, but is arguably a little too functional and frank, especially when the death is recent. 'Passed away' is more metaphoric and less abrupt, so more useful when the memory is still fresh and raw, or when you have to discuss a death in circumstances that aren't great for it. 'Kicked the bucket' is more of a colloquialism that you'd only really use about someone you didn't know or didn't like, and I've never heard anyone just use 'gone' unless already on the topic of death, it's too vague otherwise.
Why would I dislike someone because of that? :redface:
Reply 14
It doesn't bug me specifically, but I don't like people who are overly reliant on euphemisms - unless there's a specific need for sensitivity, it comes across as cowardly.
Reply 15
Original post by DouglasAdams
This bugs me no end.

Why would it? If it's someone close to the person concerned then maybe saying 'died' is hard for them, get some respect please.
Reply 16
Nothing wrong with the word died but why get so worked up on this? :rolleyes:

Losing someone is the hardest thing you will face, if there's less pain by saying 'passed away' why give a ****?
Reply 17
Yeah when my nate told me about his granddad I got out my boombox and blasted out Another One Bites the Dust

:Rolleyes
Original post by (Ari)
What an incredibly insensitive thread :facepalm2:

Why would you say it's insensitive?
Reply 19
I don't see anything wrong with the phrase 'passed away', it's very commonly used and clearly means the person is dead.

Quick Reply

Latest