The Student Room Group

Help me please

I have 9 days to learn 5-8 thousand words by heart.

How? Help me

Scroll to see replies

Oh jesus Christ! What's this for? It differs for different subjects
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Oh jesus Christ! What's this for? It differs for different subjects

French.
Original post by Obiejess
French.

Okay learn them in 20 word chunks and then do a test when you are sure you can remember them. If you need to remember them only vaguely and you can remember their meanings as they are similar in English etc then skip them. Also, write them up on post-it notes and stick them on your bathroom mirror so you can look at them while you brush your teeth etc. Record them with their English meanings and listen to in the car or at home, maybe before sleeping. Best to try a combination of these! (sorry if they're a bit too out there I just like thinking about new ways of doing things)
Sorry, you're ****ed.
Original post by Dilzo999
Sorry, you're ****ed.

I'm not allowed to be.
Reply 6

How? Help me

step 1. Build a time machine
step 2. ???
step 3. profit

How? Help me

Just learn them.
What I do is I learn 3 paragraphs everyday by repeatedly writing them out. So I'd read a sentence, say the sentence, write the sentence down from memory and repeat twice for each sentence/pair of sentences, depending on its length. Everyday, after learning another 3 paragraphs, say the previous days' paragraphs as well, so you are constantly practicising what you've already learnt. Should be okay if you do something similar to that :h:

Also, why so many words of french? What for?

How? Help me

i have to memorise 32 essays, 24 for unit and the rest for another unit, within a month and a half..
Original post by PricklyPorcupine
Okay learn them in 20 word chunks and then do a test when you are sure you can remember them. If you need to remember them only vaguely and you can remember their meanings as they are similar in English etc then skip them. Also, write them up on post-it notes and stick them on your bathroom mirror so you can look at them while you brush your teeth etc. Record them with their English meanings and listen to in the car or at home, maybe before sleeping. Best to try a combination of these! (sorry if they're a bit too out there I just like thinking about new ways of doing things)

any tips for memorising 32 essays? 24 for 1 unit and the rest for another unit:frown:
Hmm use revision cards? There are websites where you can make your own and use them to remember or something, well that's if you just have to remember their definitions and in no particular order.

If you're learning an essay off by heart or a speech etc then to remember that I wrote it out paragraph by paragraph over and over and over. I would do like pages and pages just repeating the paragraphs until I remembered them. It took less than 9 days, but immediately after using it I just completely forgot it xD (however that was for GCSE but I guess the method of memorising would be the same just the words would be more difficult)
Original post by TheGameOfScience
any tips for memorising 32 essays? 24 for 1 unit and the rest for another unit:frown:

Hmm record and listen again and again until one section is clear then move onto the next. At the same time, read it and then write it out again. Man, should have done this earlier!
Original post by suzylemonade
Just learn them.
What I do is I learn 3 paragraphs everyday by repeatedly writing them out. So I'd read a sentence, say the sentence, write the sentence down from memory and repeat twice for each sentence/pair of sentences, depending on its length. Everyday, after learning another 3 paragraphs, say the previous days' paragraphs as well, so you are constantly practicising what you've already learnt. Should be okay if you do something similar to that :h:

Also, why so many words of french? What for?

AS Speaking Exam.

More like 20 paras a day

This is about a 20th of what I have to learn overall:

Removed for obvious reasons
(edited 9 years ago)
AS Speaking Exam.

More like 20 paras a day

Holy macaroni. A twentieth D: That's terrifying. Okay, so perhaps step it up from 3 paragraphs a day.
Wow. And to think I was actually considerint French AS
(edited 9 years ago)
Holy macaroni. A twentieth D: That's terrifying. Okay, so perhaps step it up from 3 paragraphs a day.

I'm in your year too.

Could you remove my work out of your post please :colondollar:
You're not gonna get a good grade if you memorise something.

It's meant to be spontaneous, and you don't know the examiner will ask those... And if it's your teacher she's not meant to prepare questions.

Cheat :colonhash:

It's not like that, it's easy. Don't know why she's written all that out.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
You're not gonna get a good grade if you memorise something.

It's meant to be spontaneous, and you don't know the examiner will ask those... And if it's your teacher she's not meant to prepare questions.

Cheat :colonhash:

I'm being forced to do it! Don't blame me. And yeah it is my teacher, and she said she is allowed.
I'm being forced to do it! Don't blame me. And yeah it is my teacher, and she said she is allowed.

That is not allowed at all! Can't believe your school cheats.

Absolutely ridiculous. I want to complain :unimpressed:
I'm in your year too.

Could you remove my work out of your post please :colondollar:

Wow, really? So you're revising at the same time as learning this? Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest