The Student Room Group

Please help! Quick proton NMR confusion question OCR F324

I cannot hack this NMR stuff! :L
The specific question I'm stuck on is in the june 2011 paper, question 5c). http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/62264-question-paper-unit-f324-rings-polymers-and-analysis.pdf

Firstly, what the heck is that little peak at 0? Can I just ignore it? Also in the mark scheme it says there's at peak at 3.4 which is due to HC-C=O but in the data sheet (http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/74947-datasheet.pdf) I got this as HC-O?? Is this just an updated data sheet or something?

Thanks for your time :colondollar:
Reply 1
Peak @ 0 = TMS
The question states that the peak @ 3.4 should be @ about 2.4
Reply 2
Original post by Pigster
Peak @ 0 = TMS

*facepalm*
I'm such an idiot. Thank you so much :colondollar:
Reply 3
Original post by Pigster
Peak @ 0 = TMS

Sorry to ask again, but please can you help me with another question? It's from Jan 2012 question 4. The mark scheme shows the correct structure and I've included a picture of the spectrum, but I don't understand why there isn't a peak which has been split into 10 in there?? Since there are 9 protons on one carbon, and so for the CH2-C=O next to it in the structure, the peak that's for the CH2-C=O should be split into 10 shouldn't it? :L Instead there are two singlets but I thought there should be a 'declet' (don't know if that's the correct term aha) and a triplet (since for the (CH3)3C it's attached to the CH2 which have two protons on)??

Thanks for your time :smile:
Reply 4
Too far. Tertiary carbon has no protons that could split those at -CH2-
Reply 5
The CH2 left of the ester link isn't adjacent to the 3xCH3 on the left (there is a C in between).
Reply 6
Original post by Borek
Too far. Tertiary carbon has no protons that could split those at -CH2-

Original post by Pigster
The CH2 left of the ester link isn't adjacent to the 3xCH3 on the left (there is a C in between).

Ahh thank you both! It seemed to contradict another question that I had done so I was stressing but yeah on that previous question there isn't a carbon in between. I have a real problem with noticing obvious things -.-' Thanks again for your time :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest