The Student Room Group

When is enrolment, before or after freshers week?

I was just reading about student finance and it says that we receive it when we enrol to prove we are at the Uni.

When do we enrol exactly? Is the day you move into halls, the first day of freshers or after freshers week is over?
It depends from uni to uni.. At my uni, enrolment was online during fresher week and then released on the first day of term.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
During freshers (at least it was for me). Some time during the week. You'll probably have a timetabled session in which to do it.
Some point during freshers and then you get your money a few days after, so make sure you have some money if you want to go out every night of freshers week.
At mine it's during freshers for the first years, every year after that you can do it online which is good for us :awesome:
It depends on the university you go to.

Mine was the week before fresher's week. I had to go somewhere and get my photo taken for my smart card (id card/library card).
Original post by mariocasas
I was just reading about student finance and it says that we receive it when we enrol to prove we are at the Uni.

When do we enrol exactly? Is the day you move into halls, the first day of freshers or after freshers week is over?

actually you don't recieve it until 3-5 working days after enrollment. Enrollment varies by university- at mine it was the first Monday of term (which was also the first Monday of freshers)
Reply 7
What happens if we have no funds before coming to Uni? Can I get an overdraft? Cause I live in a ****hole with literally zero jobs.
Speak to your bank - this depends on their attitude to students and what your credit rating looks like.

PS. You don't have to stay in your home over the summer - http://www.resortwork.co.uk/
What happens if we have no funds before coming to Uni? Can I get an overdraft? Cause I live in a ****hole with literally zero jobs.

You should speak to your bank about this. You will need to have proof you are studying at a university before you can get a student account to get a student overdraft.

Normally after results day, the university will send you a confirmation letter. This was all I had to take in.

As long as you don't have a bad credit rating once your offer is unconditional you can get an overdraft with a student account, usually around £500-£1000 to start with, in some cases you have to put money in to activate the overdraft but this can be put in and then taken out if you need to borrow it.

Could you not get a holiday job working away somewhere? Or investigate options making money from home? There are various ways to make money that can be done from anywhere. Do you have anything you could sell on Ebay? There are probably lots of things you don't want to take to uni which are worth some money (remember your room in halls is likely to be really small and lack storage, so you probably won't even be able to take all your clothes).

I would investigate these options before getting into debt. However, you will probably be able to get a student account with an overdraft- just remember you will have to pay this back, and if you have nothing in the way of savings, this is probably better saved for emergancies/essential.

Quick Reply