The Student Room Group

Should I get a tablet for uni?

Hi :smile: I need some advice about how useful a tablet would be for university and was wondering if anybody would be able to help.

My laptop's battery doesn't work properly, and I can only have it unplugged for 20-30 minutes before it completely runs out of charge. For some reason, I can't seem to find a compatible replacement battery anywhere, so my laptop isn't really portable at the moment. That's why I thought it might be a good idea to get a tablet - then I'll have a more portable, lower-spec device, and a more powerful device which can essentially be left in my room.

I'm curious as to whether people think this would be a waste of money or not. Does anybody have any experience with using a tablet at university? How helpful/useful did you find it?

Any responses are much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I borrow my partner's Nexus 7 quite a lot, it's a bit amazing. I can't justify purchasing one myself as a poor student, but if I were to do get a tablet I'd get that one (I don't 'do' Apple) for sure. It's just extremely attractive, easy and enjoyable to use, and we've had quite a few Nexus products that have required some sort of customer service contact over the last year, and they've always been very nice and helpful.
We've also got a little slim keyboard for it which wasn't very expensive, makes it handy to take around on train journeys etc and still have the functions of a laptop. We watch lots of things on it when we can't use the tv or something, and it's very good display quality. We do always have it on charge unless we're 'away' so I can't comment too much on the battery life, it has worked well thus far but of course if you're doing anything high-power or having a million things running in the background you'll notice it dropping. It's reviewed to be strong on battery though. :smile:

I think it would be a good way to spend your money - or maybe from parents as a 'good luck at uni' gift? (; It's the kind of thing that, after a week or two of having it, you wonder why you didn't get one sooner.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by awe
I borrow my partner's Nexus 7 quite a lot, it's a bit amazing. I can't justify purchasing one myself as a poor student, but if I were to do get a tablet I'd get that one (I don't 'do' Apple) for sure. It's just extremely attractive, easy and enjoyable to use, and we've had quite a few Nexus products that have required some sort of customer service contact over the last year, and they've always been very nice and helpful.
We've also got a little slim keyboard for it which wasn't very expensive, makes it handy to take around on train journeys etc and still have the functions of a laptop. We watch lots of things on it when we can't use the tv or something, and it's very good display quality. We do always have it on charge unless we're 'away' so I can't comment too much on the battery life, it has worked well thus far but of course if you're doing anything high-power or having a million things running in the background you'll notice it dropping. It's reviewed to be strong on battery though. :smile:

I think it would be a good way to spend your money - or maybe from parents as a 'good luck at uni' gift? (; It's the kind of thing that, after a week or two of having it, you wonder why you didn't get one sooner.

Thank you for the response!

I'm also not a huge Apple person, so that's really interesting to know :smile: This is something completely alien to me haha, I'm just trying to find out as many opinions as possible to try and get an idea of how helpful a tablet would be for me.

Yeah I can't afford it myself, but my birthday is coming up soon and I may suggest it as a birthday/good luck for uni gift! :wink:
Reply 3
Original post by IzBiz

I'm also not a huge Apple person, so that's really interesting to know :smile: This is something completely alien to me haha, I'm just trying to find out as many opinions as possible to try and get an idea of how helpful a tablet would be for me.

Yeah I can't afford it myself, but my birthday is coming up soon and I may suggest it as a birthday/good luck for uni gift! :wink:

No problem! If ya follow through the link I had in there it's a good review, maybe a bit too much technical waffle but still interesting to scan over. If you have any specific questions just let me know.
Reply 4
Original post by IzBiz

Just to say - my boyfriend gave me a Nook HD+ today! I can't have it properly until I finish all of my university work haha, but it looks really great. Just found it funny after us talking about them. P: When I have a bit more of a play on it next week I'll let you know what it's like? It will be in a cheaper bracket than the Nexus 7. (:
Yes, some paracetamol to combat all those hangovers.
Yessss best decision i ever made. Ask yourself this: would you rather carry a big 3kg bag or a small bag weighing under half a kilo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also just get a simple tablet doesnt have to be an expensive branded one they all work fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by TheBigJosh
Yes, some paracetamol to combat all those hangovers.

Very funny, and not at all predictable :wink:
Reply 9
Original post by Sandypandy93
Yessss best decision i ever made. Ask yourself this: would you rather carry a big 3kg bag or a small bag weighing under half a kilo?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the feedback! I've heard a few people say that it would be useless or pointless for university, so it's interesting to hear someone say that it helped them :smile:
nexus nexus nexus nexus nexus
Original post by IzBiz
Very funny, and not at all predictable :wink:

But the best advice you will get...
Reply 12
It's nice to sit in lectures and be able to actually watch the professor unlike most people rushing to write down everything on the powerpoint presentation. One could argue a laptop would achieve the same but how many laptops are there that are the same size, cost and weight as a tablet? :tongue:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 which is perfect for me. Writing is a pain on paper but fast and easy with a stylus and swipe input. You also eliminate risk of running out of ink or paper. :h:
Original post by IzBiz
Thank you for the feedback! I've heard a few people say that it would be useless or pointless for university, so it's interesting to hear someone say that it helped them :smile:

Wow really? Almost everyone at my uni uses one in lectures, i find it invaluable. As a disorganized person it is so much easier having all your notes in one place, when I had hand written notes they generally got lost or not looked over. A tablet is far more convenient than a laptop, I have had to take my laptop in a couple of times and it is far too heavy and too big and noisy in lectures too.

I have an iPad and I think it's great but I am sure cheaper models would do the same job perfectly well. The only thing I find frustrating is that you can't download the lecture and make notes on that which would be incredibly useful.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Sandypandy93

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is a 7 inch screen big enough, or would you need something bigger?
Reply 15
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
Is a 7 inch screen big enough, or would you need something bigger?

7inch is big enough, it depends what you want your tablet to do ? I have the Nexus 7 tablet, I think its great dont go apple haha
Original post by Ryanz67
7inch is big enough, it depends what you want your tablet to do ? I have the Nexus 7 tablet, I think its great dont go apple haha

Just to read and annotate lecture notes in the lectures.

We get lecture notes before the lecture, and expected to print them out and bring them to the lectures. Would save a lot of time, perhaps money too overall if I could just use a tablet. Often there's not that much to annotate either, the notes are pretty detailed, just a few things missed out (often on purpose to convince people to come to the lectures). Would be lighter in my backpack too rather than lugging around all my notes.
Reply 17
Original post by RelaxedPenguin
Just to read and annotate lecture notes in the lectures.

We get lecture notes before the lecture, and expected to print them out and bring them to the lectures. Would save a lot of time, perhaps money too overall if I could just use a tablet. Often there's not that much to annotate either, the notes are pretty detailed, just a few things missed out (often on purpose to convince people to come to the lectures). Would be lighter in my backpack too rather than lugging around all my notes.

Yeah I think a tablet would be very ideal, the nexus 7 seems like it would suit you. Its a 7inch tablet which is very portable you can literally fit it in your pocket. Its quick and reliable you can also open word documents etc. Being a google table you get all the updates quicker then other devices and you can sync all your document via pc, phone and of course tablet.
Either way be sure to do your research before you buy :wink: (Avoid apple haha)

Quick Reply

Latest