The Student Room Group

What did you do for Work Experience?

Hey, so I did my work experience a few months ago and worked as a Political Analyst for some company and I'm just really curious what other students did, what it was like for them and how did they get the job.

For me, it was cool and all but I'm not really interested in politics, I'm more interested in Biology or Chemistry more specifically in Forensics so yeah..... I got the job because it's the only one left that had some connections to Forensics or Science since y'know its basically about handling data.
Reply 1
I was a teacher's assistant for a week at a local school. The school is in a remote area and there was only about 30 students max and only 2 classes. Primary 1-4 were out together and primary 5-7 were put together. I loved it tbh. I don't usually like kids but they kids at that school were lovely and very welcoming. I broke my heart when I left at the end of the week tbh. That was about 8 yrs ago. I never had a choice on where to go on work experience. My school matched you up on your grades and how close to placements you lived to determind where you go.
I my did 2 weeks work experience in Tesco when I was 15.
When I was 16 I was considering forensics too but because it was very difficult to get placements related to it I worked in a dogs home for a week because I love animals. Little bit sad at times but had fun overall. Most days there was an hour or so with no work to be done so I'd just get sent to play with the puppies.

Then last year for one of the modules we had to do 20 hours work experience. I did mine at a rehab centre for alcoholics. Not planning on going into that area exactly but interesting experience especially sitting in on the group therapy sessions. Found it more upsetting than I expected.
Spent half a week getting bossed around and basically bullied by some bloke who owned a pc shop before I quit and picked up a replacement WE doing a variety of things someplace- admin/cleaning/gardening.

Ironically his business struggled through the recession and went bust, he had it coming.
When I was 15 I went to work with my dad because he said it'd be more enlightening than working at Asda which is where they wanted me to work.

So I went on the tools with the electricians and plumbers on building sites.

Was actually really interesting.
Reply 6
The only work experience ive had so far has been photocopying, they gave me so much that week the last day I broke their photocopier (unintentionally sort of) so im just hoping better work experience will come.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nat_LPS
The only work experience ive had so far has been photocopying, they gave me so much that week the last day I broke their photocopier (unintentionally sort of) so im just hoping better work experience will come.

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
When I was 15 I had work experience for 2 weeks at the engineering office of Rover Group, a car manufacturer.

Didn't particularly enjoy it as it was full of people who were full of themselves and most simply couldn't give a crap about their job or the fact that I was genuinely enthusiastic about engineering and cars, they simply saw it as a job and that was that and it was in an era where some of them had no bloody clue how to even switch on a computer.
When I was 15 I went for two weeks at my local printers. Really enjoyed it.

And now I think back and that's six years ago. Weird.
When I was in year 10 (so 15) I went and did offshore survival training with Petans. I was basically treated like a trainee and did helicopter crash simulations, fire fighting, use of breathing apparatus, first aid, lifeboat drills and loads of other cool stuff. In my first year of college I went to fugro and did analysis of sediment and inputting data (I want to be a geologist/hydro-geologist) and now in my second year I've done work experience at sea jacks a marine offshore vessel company working in the office.
I like work experience and have picked a degree with a year in industry :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
Spent half a week getting bossed around and basically bullied by some bloke who owned a pc shop before I quit and picked up a replacement WE doing a variety of things someplace- admin/cleaning/gardening.

Ironically his business struggled through the recession and went bust, he had it coming.

That's what happened to one of my classmates. They couldn't take it anymore so they just walked out, literally just walked out of the building and shouted ''I quit!"

It was quite shocking to be honest and I was like "WTH!"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Firenze26
Hey, so I did my work experience a few months ago and worked as a Political Analyst for some company and I'm just really curious what other students did, what it was like for them and how did they get the job.

For me, it was cool and all but I'm not really interested in politics, I'm more interested in Biology or Chemistry more specifically in Forensics so yeah..... I got the job because it's the only one left that had some connections to Forensics or Science since y'know its basically about handling data.

I did mine in an Activities Centre. Just two weeks of kayaking and abseiling with groups that came in, it was good fun.

Quick Reply

Latest