The Student Room Group

Failed My Driving Test

So today I took my driving test and failed. I was told to go right at the first roundabout and left at the second. I came off the first roundabout in the wrong lane, not realising my mistake until the examiner repeated the instruction, which panicked me and I pulled across people to get to the right lane.

Looking back, it was so embarrassing. I felt my test started badly. I had to pretty much emergency stop to prevent running into a lorry reversing in the road. (was just after coming round a bend which is why I didn't see it) Roundabouts were the worst part of my test, I was so busy looking at whether I could leave the roundabout that I mounted the kerb. I felt I was focusing so much on my approach speed that I was struggling to work out whether the island was free for me to continue driving.

I have never driven like this before, and I have been out in my own car with my mom, which shows that I can drive properly. I'm so embarrassed about how my test went that I don't want to book it again. Also, it is getting closer to my a levels, so I am worried about failing again. I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me about your driving experiences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Took me 4 goes.. and I'd already been out riding the roads on a motorbike for years beforehand.

Dont worry about it, just rebook and try again :smile:
Trust me, it could have gone worse. On my first test I almost hit someone on a pedestrian crossing and passed the second time with 13 minors. You just need to stay calm.
I failed the first time too.

I actually got 2 'dangerous' marks.

I felt like crying, I knew i'd failed but she said I had to continue the test otherwise the car would be stuck where ever I stopped and my driving instructor would have to come collect it.

[I'd gone to change lanes with a car in my blind spot and she grabbed the wheel]

My examiner smelled like smoke, lived in a trailer on the test site with her dogs in a caravan and was already critical of my when I pulled away.

The second time I thought I'd failed too. My instructor told me I'd gotten a much fairer examiner the second time. I failed a parallel park. I stopped when I knew I wasn't going to get into the space - my instructor asked me whether I wanted to try again or drive on. I knew if I said drive on then I wouldn't have proved I could do it and would automatically fail. He asked me what I'd do alone and I said 'Well I'd pull back out and come in at an angle I knew was better'. He said 'Just do what you'd do on your own' so I did. Pulled back out, checking all around the car and parked in the gap from a better entering angle. He said 'Now let's continue, pull out and off we go'.

I finished the test with 3 minors. 1 for that parallel park, 1 for slightly sharp breaking and 1 for missing an exit gap on a roundabout.

I'm probably going to take pass plus when I return to the UK because I haven't actually driven a car in over 4 years [since I was 18] which was when I had a crash and wrecked my mum's no claims.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by El121
So today I took my driving test and failed. I was told to go right at the first roundabout and left at the second. I came off the first roundabout in the wrong lane, not realising my mistake until the examiner repeated the instruction, which panicked me and I pulled across people to get to the right lane.

Looking back, it was so embarrassing. I felt my test started badly. I had to pretty much emergency stop to prevent running into a lorry reversing in the road. (was just after coming round a bend which is why I didn't see it) Roundabouts were the worst part of my test, I was so busy looking at whether I could leave the roundabout that I mounted the kerb. I felt I was focusing so much on my approach speed that I was struggling to work out whether the island was free for me to continue driving.

I have never driven like this before, and I have been out in my own car with my mom, which shows that I can drive properly. I'm so embarrassed about how my test went that I don't want to book it again. Also, it is getting closer to my a levels, so I am worried about failing again. I'd appreciate any advice you guys could give me about your driving experiences :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's not so bad really, heard much worse.

Just rebook and go again, you said yourself you drive comfortably normally so hopefully youll get the nerves under control
Reply 5
Original post by judging
If this makes you feel any better, my sister passed on her 5th test and even then, the examiner was just a nice guy lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for replying :smile: its a bit of an anticlimax to go for your test and fail, but I won't give up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Zürich
That's not so bad really, heard much worse.

Just rebook and go again, you said yourself you drive comfortably normally so hopefully youll get the nerves under control

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by -=|Jay|=-
I failed the first time too.

I actually got 2 'dangerous' marks.

I felt like crying, I knew i'd failed but she said I had to continue the test otherwise the car would be stuck where ever I stopped and my driving instructor would have to come collect it.

[I'd gone to change lanes with a car in my blind spot and she grabbed the wheel]

My examiner smelled like smoke, lived in a trailer on the test site with her dogs in a caravan and was already critical of my when I pulled away.

The second time I thought I'd failed too. My instructor told me I'd gotten a much fairer examiner the second time. I failed a parallel park. I stopped when I knew I wasn't going to get into the space - my instructor asked me whether I wanted to try again or drive on. I knew if I said drive on then I wouldn't have proved I could do it and would automatically fail. He asked me what I'd do alone and I said 'Well I'd pull back out and come in at an angle I knew was better'. He said 'Just do what you'd do on your own' so I did. Pulled back out, checking all around the car and parked in the gap from a better entering angle. He said 'Now let's continue, pull out and off we go'.

I finished the test with 3 minors. 1 for that parallel park, 1 for slightly sharp breaking and 1 for missing an exit gap on a roundabout.

I'm probably going to take pass plus when I return to the UK because I haven't actually driven a car in over 4 years [since I was 18] which was when I had a crash and wrecked my mum's no claims.

Sounds like your last test went a lot better :smile: I think I must have done something similar to you in mine.

I'd never do what I did in ordinary circumstances, I was just worried about taking the examiner the wrong way so I panicked. It has helped me feel better for my next test as I know a bit more of what to expect, but I'm just worried about making a silly mistake again :/ I'm one of the younger ones in my year, all my friends can drive, I want to as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by DiddyDec
Trust me, it could have gone worse. On my first test I almost hit someone on a pedestrian crossing and passed the second time with 13 minors. You just need to stay calm.

I will do for next time, know what to expect a bit more :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Took me 4 goes.. and I'd already been out riding the roads on a motorbike for years beforehand.

Dont worry about it, just rebook and try again :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by El121

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't be too upset, I failed the first time as well because I reverse into the wrong side of the road and ended up blocking people off :s

The most important thing is to stay calm, I remember in my lessons I always used to panic and this made me make so many stupid mistakes (nearly killed myself breaking in front of a lorry going at 40mph!). When your calm everything is so much more easier, trust me!

But don't give up and good luck :smile:
Reply 11
It might be worth doing more lessons. I felt like I could drive pretty well after 15 lessons, but I still took more than 30 lessons in total. Even if you feel confident about your driving, it might be worth doing a few more lessons and booking another test as soon as you can. In the test, just relax and drive like you know you can drive. I started learning to drive 3 months ago, I didn't think I'd ever be able to pass my test on the first go, I was expecting to fail the test before I even booked it. But I passed on the first time, I had my test 3 days ago, it was a flawless drive. I just stayed focussed and completely relaxed, that's what you need to do. I know it sounds very generic and probably not all too helpful, but you just have to go into it with confidence. Like I said, I was expecting to fail, but I managed to surprise even myself with a very controlled and decisive drive.

Also, no matter what happens, always remember that this is just small stuff. You mentioned your a levels - that's big stuff, something which is very important and is going to have an impact on your career and your future. But a driving test is small stuff, always remember that. It doesn't matter at all if you pass on your first attempt or your fifth attempt. Just keep at it, don't stop driving. Keep doing a few lessons every now and then so you don't forget what you learned. And seriously don't dwell on it too much, it's just a driving test, don't put pressure on yourself. It doesn't matter how many attempts it takes to pass it. You shouldn't worry at all about it, it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things. You will pass in the end, maybe not tomorrow, but soon enough if you allow yourself some more time to keep practising and building up your confidence.
Well i know its upsetting but try not to worry..deep breaths..relax and just practice and prepare well for your retest.

There is a roundabout i know of (jct 27 M60) which is complex and has around 3 lines on it all the way round with traffic lights,box junctions a bus lane on it and an interface with about 9 separate junctions on and off it.

It has had lots of accidents on it and plenty of near misses. Every day i pass it and it is often a scene of chaos.

The main issues i see are that people panic becuase they see its confusing. It becomes a flight or fight thing and people then tend to rush. When they rush,they make mistakes. People also feel rushed or pressured by other motorists who presumably are also equally rushed !

People also get confused about what lane they need to be in and then try to scythe across lanes at the last minute to get where they want to be.

So the thing to do is,,take your time,,keep an eye on the signs,,plan it,,get in the right lane and let others know what your doing. Plenty of signalling. Dont be stampeded into a rush. If you miss your offslip so what..go round again,admire the view,,,twice if you have to.

Remember the golden rule..if in doubt..dont.

Last year i was on board a large trans european coach and at one point the driver went round a roundabout three times until he decided which exit to leave and that in a very large vehicle. Bottom line, it doesnt matter as long as its safe..

happy motoring :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by AnushkasHero
Don't be too upset, I failed the first time as well because I reverse into the wrong side of the road and ended up blocking people off :s

The most important thing is to stay calm, I remember in my lessons I always used to panic and this made me make so many stupid mistakes (nearly killed myself breaking in front of a lorry going at 40mph!). When your calm everything is so much more easier, trust me!

But don't give up and good luck :smile:

Yes, I think I need to plan a bit more; my approach speed to roundabouts was a bit quick, so I couldn't see whether I could go. I just wish people would indicate off them! I will try to be more calm, thanks :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Stinkum
It might be worth doing more lessons. I felt like I could drive pretty well after 15 lessons, but I still took more than 30 lessons in total. Even if you feel confident about your driving, it might be worth doing a few more lessons and booking another test as soon as you can. In the test, just relax and drive like you know you can drive. I started learning to drive 3 months ago, I didn't think I'd ever be able to pass my test on the first go, I was expecting to fail the test before I even booked it. But I passed on the first time, I had my test 3 days ago, it was a flawless drive. I just stayed focussed and completely relaxed, that's what you need to do. I know it sounds very generic and probably not all too helpful, but you just have to go into it with confidence. Like I said, I was expecting to fail, but I managed to surprise even myself with a very controlled and decisive drive.

Also, no matter what happens, always remember that this is just small stuff. You mentioned your a levels - that's big stuff, something which is very important and is going to have an impact on your career and your future. But a driving test is small stuff, always remember that. It doesn't matter at all if you pass on your first attempt or your fifth attempt. Just keep at it, don't stop driving. Keep doing a few lessons every now and then so you don't forget what you learned. And seriously don't dwell on it too much, it's just a driving test, don't put pressure on yourself. It doesn't matter how many attempts it takes to pass it. You shouldn't worry at all about it, it's a small thing in the grand scheme of things. You will pass in the end, maybe not tomorrow, but soon enough if you allow yourself some more time to keep practising and building up your confidence.

I will have more lessons, had about 30 now. I feel like I went into it with confidence, I just panicked when I realised I was going wrong. I should have stayed in the lane I was in and explained to the examiner that it wasn't safe for me to change lanes.

I know it is small, I just really wanted it out of the way before my exams. However I'm gonna book another one in May then if I fail that, I will wait until after exams :smile: once it's done I'll be so happy :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by Limpopo
Well i know its upsetting but try not to worry..deep breaths..relax and just practice and prepare well for your retest.

There is a roundabout i know of (jct 27 M60) which is complex and has around 3 lines on it all the way round with traffic lights,box junctions a bus lane on it and an interface with about 9 separate junctions on and off it.

It has had lots of accidents on it and plenty of near misses. Every day i pass it and it is often a scene of chaos.

The main issues i see are that people panic becuase they see its confusing. It becomes a flight or fight thing and people then tend to rush. When they rush,they make mistakes. People also feel rushed or pressured by other motorists who presumably are also equally rushed !

People also get confused about what lane they need to be in and then try to scythe across lanes at the last minute to get where they want to be.

So the thing to do is,,take your time,,keep an eye on the signs,,plan it,,get in the right lane and let others know what your doing. Plenty of signalling. Dont be stampeded into a rush. If you miss your offslip so what..go round again,admire the view,,,twice if you have to.

Remember the golden rule..if in doubt..dont.

Last year i was on board a large trans european coach and at one point the driver went round a roundabout three times until he decided which exit to leave and that in a very large vehicle. Bottom line, it doesnt matter as long as its safe..

happy motoring :smile:

Yes I did panic during my test, I need to plan more like you said :smile:

Roundabouts are definitely my weakness, I can never work out where people are exiting the roundabout. I wish people would indicate!
Reply 16
Original post by El121
I will have more lessons, had about 30 now. I feel like I went into it with confidence, I just panicked when I realised I was going wrong. I should have stayed in the lane I was in and explained to the examiner that it wasn't safe for me to change lanes.

I know it is small, I just really wanted it out of the way before my exams. However I'm gonna book another one in May then if I fail that, I will wait until after exams :smile: once it's done I'll be so happy :smile:

You might still be able to retake it sooner than you think. You have to wait 10 days after your test before you're able to book another test, but once you do manage to book a second test, you have to keep checking the online booking site to see if there are any cancellations, and with luck you should be able to book another test quite soon.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck. Even if you have to wait until after your exams, it's okay, just make sure you take at least 1 lesson per week. I found that if I stayed without any lessons for more than a week, my driving seemed to suffer a little bit. Myself, I took 34 lessons in total with an instructor and 5 or 6 lessons with family members. So I'm sure after a few more lessons, you'll be well prepared and you can easily pass your 2nd test. It's a really great feeling after you pass and the examiner gives you that pass certificate, it'll be well worth the wait.
(edited 9 years ago)
Dont worry i failed the first time, its all about confidence , i had to wait 2 months to redo my test use the time to get more experience good luck
Reply 18
Failed my first test today and I'm absolutely gutted :frown:

My examiner was so lovely, he was really chatty and he made an effort to relax me. Everything was going great, as in even better than my lessons, until I was coming down a busy road and didn't see a pedestrian waiting at a zebra crossing until I was just passed it!!! I could've kicked myself. I knew I'd failed and my legs wouldn't stop shaking. Then was asked to do the turn in the road and on moving away I accelerated instead of braking and ended up going Into the curb! At this point I was shaking so bad he said he'd only put it as a minor.
I got another serious for not following speed limits - I always drive too slow and he said at some points I was coming round corners so slowly that other cars had to slow down :frown:

I've booked another test but I can already tell I'm not going to be confident :frown:
Original post by El121

Posted from TSR Mobile

mistakes happen, u will pass just stay calm when u take it again

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending