The Student Room Group

Would you ever want a safety wife/husband?

Poll

Would you ever want a safety wife/husband?

For those who don't know, a safety wife/husband is someone who you've made an agreement with that of you're both single at a certain age you'll get married.

I think it's a kind of interesting thing to consider; I mean off the top of my head I wouldn't want to at the moment as I'm only 17 but if I'm still as alone in a few years as I am now I can't help but wonder if I'd want one (not necessarily get one but that's another discussion). Thoughts?

Scroll to see replies

No, entering into a lifelong relationship contract because nothing better came along in the meantime does not seem like a good idea.
Reply 2
Yeah, by 40 is nothing has happened then I'd probably try with a few people from my past> though people change

I would only get a safety wife if I didn't already have a wife/relationship for a considerable amount of time, say another 15years of single life and then yeah I'd explore my options
If by 32 I was still single I'd consider it. I want kids.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If she was hot then yes.
Reply 5
Original post by Le Nombre
No, entering into a lifelong relationship contract because nothing better came along in the meantime does not seem like a good idea.

happens all the time though, doesn't it?
Yup.. Any takers :wink:.
Reply 7
I'm already married; but I can think of a few people I wouldn't mind having as backup.
Definitely no. Imaging getting married to him/her, and knowing, for the next 30-40 years that you are not each other's first choice, and that you both married each other as a last resort because you couldn't find better. How sucky would that be?

It's the same reason why I wouldn't be someone's fallback either ("I'll get together with you if me and him doesn't work out"), no matter how attractive they are. If I'm not someone's first choice, I am not interested.

Of course, I also do the same reciprocally - I never rank a few girls and "go down the list". My list is size 1 at any given time.
That's not something I would ever consider. The prospect of never marrying doesn't scare me; it's not an essential part of my future plans. And if I do marry, it will only be for love - never anything else.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by fGDu
happens all the time though, doesn't it?

People settle, but probably not to the extent that they were initially unattracted to them.
Original post by EllieC130
For those who don't know, a safety wife/husband is someone who you've made an agreement with that of you're both single at a certain age you'll get married.

I think it's a kind of interesting thing to consider; I mean off the top of my head I wouldn't want to at the moment as I'm only 17 but if I'm still as alone in a few years as I am now I can't help but wonder if I'd want one (not necessarily get one but that's another discussion). Thoughts?

If someone asked me to be their safety husband I'd be slightly shocked! Since I work internationally I may not even live anywhere near them at the point when the 'safety net' becomes activated.

I could also be dead in a motorcycle accident too!!!
Pot of piss
Hell no. I'd rather be single. Who would want to enter a feelingless marriage?
No I'm Asian..no safety husband for me :P
No, I'm not that bothered about not being married, and besides, dating when you're at age is far from impossible- for a man, it's possibly easier to attract women in your forties, if you're doing alright, than when you're young. So why not just keep trying to get a proper partner?
Original post by Le Nombre

Essentially the definition of marriage right there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Er, no, I'm hoping I still have at least one equally single friend who I'll live with and we'll be happy spinsters together. It'll be like Cranford but hopefully with less deaths. Unless either of my siblings are 'forever alone' too. Then they can come live with me and my collection of cats. Although with them it's more likely to be like the final episode of Inside No 9...:eek:

Back-up plan after that is being the Sherlock to someones Mary and Watson, constantly stealing my best friend away to do fun stuff.
(edited 9 years ago)
Only to my best friend so I know it would be a happy partnership.
nah mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending