The Student Room Group

If you need some motivation...

These past two weeks I have been feeling depressed, low, nervous, anxious, guilty and downright awful. I enveloped myself into a bubble of self-pity and I couldn't revise at all and at one point I was even considering not sitting for the exams. I kept trying to find motivation or something that would keep me going but I found none: so. I kept on panicking and wasting time.

However, this morning I found an article and it was the perfect slap in the face and it changed my mood completely. I'm putting up the bits that I think will apply to students (I added a few extras here and there) but if you wish to read the full article you can check it out from the link which I'll post down below :smile:

1. Get Rid Of Your Excuses
Your excuses suck. Every single one. Get rid of them.

2. Stop wasting time coming up with elaborate revision plans. Don’t leave it to chance. When you discipline yourself, it’s like programming as a robot. There’s no more emotion involved. It’s simply “if this…then that.”

That’s why a plan of attack is so crucial. You don’t have to decide what you want to do every single day when you wake up. You don’t have 100 different decisions points. You decide once to follow the plan and then wake up every morning and reference said plan.

You’ve already decided you’re going to do it. You don’t have to decide anymore, you just have to do it..

3. Ask yourself, how bad do you want it? You will have to sacrifice something at some point. If you feel tired and it's still early and you feel like you haven't done enough but you feel like you just can't then you're not working hard enough. If you really want this, if you want to get to uni/graduate then you know you must work hard. You cannot aim high and expect to reach your goal by doing nothing to achieve it.

4. Keep Going
When you really, really, really want to give up, don’t stop. Keep going. Discipline doesn’t depend on your feelings. It happens whether or not you “feel” like it.

When you think you are done, you’re only 40% of what your body is capable of doing. That’s just the limit that we put on ourselves. David Goggins

5. Remove your brain from your equation. Your mind sucks. It will tell you all of the things you’re not capable of doing because it wants to protect itself. It wants to play it safe. It wants to be comfortable.

When you brain tells you it’s impossible, when it tells you it's too late, that you cannot achieve that A* you really want, tell your brain,

That’s nice, I’m going to get it anyways.

6. You don’t need more inspiration. You don’t need more motivation. You need more discipline and you need to start now!

By Joel Runyon
Adapted from: http://impossiblehq.com/get-disciplined-not-motivated

Good luck and keep going! Log off TSR if you have things to do (like I do), log off everything, keep going and you will achieve :smile:

Hope this helped a tiny bit :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
This is perfect wow

Posted from TSR Mobile
I needed a great big kick up the arse so thanks for that :biggrin:
Logging off TSR is a good idea I can actually revise without procrastinating and curb my addiction at the same time :laugh:
Thank you - good luck with your exams too :h:
Original post by MidnightDream
I needed a great big kick up the arse so thanks for that :biggrin:
Logging off TSR is a good idea I can actually revise without procrastinating and curb my addiction at the same time :laugh:
Thank you - good luck with your exams too :h:

Aw I'm glad and thank you :colondollar:
Reply 4
thank u :smile:
Original post by achu123
thank u :smile:

You're very welcome :h:
Thanks I really needed this :smile:
Wow, the stop wasting time on elaborate revision plans really applies to me, I spend more time organising than actually revising :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aworldalone
Wow, the stop wasting time on elaborate revision plans really applies to me, I spend more time organising than actually revising :colondollar:

Same here unfortunately. :redface: Then I'll end up realising that I'm far behind on my "plan" so I'll feel obliged to rewrite it all over again and continue wasting time haha it's a never ending cycle :cool:
Reply 9
Original post by TheStoryteller
These past two weeks I have been feeling depressed, low, nervous, anxious, guilty and downright awful. I enveloped myself into a bubble of self-pity and I couldn't revise at all and at one point I was even considering not sitting for the exams. I kept trying to find motivation or something that would keep me going but I found none: so. I kept on panicking and wasting time.

However, this morning I found an article and it was the perfect slap in the face and it changed my mood completely. I'm putting up the bits that I think will apply to students (I added a few extras here and there) but if you wish to read the full article you can check it out from the link which I'll post down below :smile:

1. Get Rid Of Your Excuses
Your excuses suck. Every single one. Get rid of them.

2. Stop wasting time coming up with elaborate revision plans. Don’t leave it to chance. When you discipline yourself, it’s like programming as a robot. There’s no more emotion involved. It’s simply “if this…then that.”

That’s why a plan of attack is so crucial. You don’t have to decide what you want to do every single day when you wake up. You don’t have 100 different decisions points. You decide once to follow the plan and then wake up every morning and reference said plan.

You’ve already decided you’re going to do it. You don’t have to decide anymore, you just have to do it..

3. Ask yourself, how bad do you want it? You will have to sacrifice something at some point. If you feel tired and it's still early and you feel like you haven't done enough but you feel like you just can't then you're not working hard enough. If you really want this, if you want to get to uni/graduate then you know you must work hard. You cannot aim high and expect to reach your goal by doing nothing to achieve it.

4. Keep Going
When you really, really, really want to give up, don’t stop. Keep going. Discipline doesn’t depend on your feelings. It happens whether or not you “feel” like it.

When you think you are done, you’re only 40% of what your body is capable of doing. That’s just the limit that we put on ourselves. David Goggins

5. Remove your brain from your equation. Your mind sucks. It will tell you all of the things you’re not capable of doing because it wants to protect itself. It wants to play it safe. It wants to be comfortable.

When you brain tells you it’s impossible, when it tells you it's too late, that you cannot achieve that A* you really want, tell your brain,

That’s nice, I’m going to get it anyways.

6. You don’t need more inspiration. You don’t need more motivation. You need more discipline and you need to start now!

By Joel Runyon
Adapted from: http://impossiblehq.com/get-disciplined-not-motivated

Good luck and keep going! Log off TSR if you have things to do (like I do), log off everything, keep going and you will achieve :smile:

Hope this helped a tiny bit :biggrin:

I must say that this has helped me loads! Thank you very much!!! :biggrin:
if youre reading this far down the comments, then you should be revising! GET TO IT. LOG OFF TSR AND BLOODY REVISE!

it will be worth it 100% :biggrin:

good luck
You might also find the article "How to increase motivation and tackle procrastination" useful. It is a free download from www.keweipress.com and contains a lot of advice.

It sure can be difficult to get down to things!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending